• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spells for a cleric - help

matthewajg

First Post
I am looking for suggestions on good spells for my cleric, just having advanced to 11th level, who has a new 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th level spell slot available. In the campaign I am playing in, we are using the Spontaneous Divine Caster variant, so spell selection is crucial. Also important to note that my particular cleric belongs to an obscure sect that is prohibited from causing lethal damage or taking any life...so spell selection must be limted by that. My cleric serves to buff and heal the party for the most part, though he does a hefty amount of divining as well. All WoTC products are free game! Let the suggestions roll in!

Henry

Autoexreginated
Oooh, now that's a hindrance... some of my favorite cleric spells are the "rip you in half" type.

I'd go with (5th level, Spell Compendium)Zone of Revelation, prepped or on scroll... Our DM frequently throws at us invisible or ethereal foes, and while true seeing is good, it doesn't help the REST of the party. :)

If you haven't prepped Close Wounds (2nd level, Spell Compendium), that at least 1 or 2 of those is Awesome. Stop a comrade from dying on the battlefield IMMEDIATELY - heck, maybe even keep him from going down...

The resistance spells (greater and superior, Spell compendium) are awesome gifts for allies - who would want a stackable +3 ot +6 to all saves for 24 hours?

Panacea (4th level, Spell Compendium) is a must-have, to have at least one of. Cures a laundry list of conditions, and gives a quick 10 to 15 hit point boost.

By the way, will incapacitating spells subvert your deity's wishes? If not, spells like mass curse of ill fortune, tremor, moon bolt, and spell vulnerability (all spell compendium, I pack all of these occasionally) are a good bet. How about spells that damage undead, but not living beings?

Oh, and you're a PERFECT level for Mass Resist Energy (SpC) - it will give 11 people nearest you Energy Resistance 30 vs. an energy of your choice.

Finally, Revenance (SpC) is an ultimately cool spell for when somebody DOES die in the middle of combat. "Get back up, Regdar! You still got fighting to do!!!"

matthewajg

First Post
Spells known (most but not all): Basic 0 level spells; 1st - Cure Light, Obscuring Mist, Detect Undead, Detect Secret Doors, Hide from Undead, Entropic Shield, Command, Identify, Sanctuary, etc.; 2nd level - Aid, Close Wounds, Cure Moderate, Bear's Endurance, Fog Cloud, Detect Thoughts, etc.; 3rd level - Clairvoyance, Dispel Magic, Water Breathing, Prot, from Energy, Cure Serious; 4th level - Control Water, Dismissal, Divination, Freedom of Movement, Restoration; 5th - Break Enchantment, Spell Resistance, True Seeing, Solid Fog.

Wish

First Post
A short list of suggestions.

2 - Augury
3 - Mass Resist Energy, Magic Vestment, Magic Circle vs. Evil (or appropriate alignment)
4 - Delay Death and Death Ward are the two I see missing from your list.
5 - Commune, Mass Cure Light Wounds (the only mass spell worth the casting before Mass Heal, IMO)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Are the Whelm spells on your spell list (PHB II)? Those spells let you do decent amounts of nonlethal damage to your foes.

GilaMonster

First Post
Here are some of my cleric's favorite spells. She's also forbidden to harm living creatures.

1st: Omen of Peril (SpC), Protection from Evil
2nd: Divine Protection (SpC), Shatter, Silence
3rd: Mass Conviction (SpC), Invisibility Purge, Prayer, Shield of Warding
4th: Recitation, Mass Shield of Faith

mikebr99

Explorer
hey,

5 - righteous wrath of the Faithful (SC)... let your party members do the damage
or
5 - revivify (SC)... get back up, meat shield!

4 - I'll second Henry's Panacea (SC)

3 - Holy Storm (SC).. does it pass your restrictions?

2 - healing lorecall (SC), if you have lots of ranks in Heal.

Mike

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads