D&D (2024) spells going forward

Remathilis

Legend
So going forward with 'arcane' and 'divine' and 'primal' spell lists how are the 2014 classes getting spells?

so in the warlock cantrip thread I have been beat over the head by "it's not on the 2014 spell list"
however I also keep being told that nothing will stop the support of the 2014 warlock.

so come 2024 lets say we get the new classes more or less as they are in the playtest. then the first splat book adds 15 new spells, 10 to the arcane list, 9 to the divine list and 6 to the primal list.

now we have a player that is playing a 2014 warlock and another playing the 2024 cleric... the 2024 cleric just got 9 new spells, but the warlock list for 2014 isn't every new arcane spell, so how will you know what ones to add to the warlock list? Do you think a sidebar?

it gets worse with the 2014 bard that has multi spells from divine lists... now I don't have to just look at those 10 arcane spells but the 9 divine (yes that means some overlaped).

so going forward will the 2014 classes not be supported?

If I was in that situation, the 2014 warlock could pick any of the ten new arcane spells from the splat book. It's not going to break anything, you still have a finite amount known. Same with a sorcerer or bard. (And I'd do the same for artificer).

It was already annoying that wizards got all the good arcane magic and sorcerer and warlock got such limited options (and even fewer choices). Nothing breaks to allow them 10 new spells.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I agree too, but I would also suggest that AL is not core play. It's always restricted otherwise core options to meet the goals of organized play.

AL being restricted to the 2024 revisions is the same as AL restricting magic item possession or character options to specific book combinations and of course to preventing you from using non-errata'd versions of class features and spells etc.

AL only being 2024-onward would also mean they'll provide free access to some 2024 options for players who only have 2014-2023 characters thus far. AL has never required you to buy new books to play. I'm SURE there will be Basic Rules and SRD errata that incorporate the 2024 One D&D revisions.
I suspect a new version of the free Basic Rules will appear.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases