Unearthed Arcana Spells & Magic Tattoos: New Unearthed Arcana

WotC has posted a new Unearthed Arcana called Spells & Magic Tattoos. "This document provides a magical miscellany: new spells and a new type of magic item, magic tattoos. Most of the spells focus on an alternative style of summoning: conjuring forth a spirit that assumes a physical form you customize to suit the situation."

Unknown.jpg

Kurotowa

Legend
I like this set of summoning spells using the new design principles. A single powerful minion instead of a menagerie, stat block in the spell instead of sending you to the MM, no worries about the summoned creatures turning on you if your concentration gets broken. These look actually usable.

The tattoos are a cool idea, but they give me vague worries of power creep. Nothing I can specifically point at yet, just a general "the attunements stack and they can't be easily removed" worry.

dave2008

Legend
The tattoos are a cool idea, but they give me vague worries of power creep. Nothing I can specifically point at yet, just a general "the attunements stack and they can't be easily removed" worry.
I haven't really looked at the rules yet, but tattoos are similar to magic items in that they are pretty much completely in the DMs control. The DM could allow you to go wild with them or have none at all. I think it is not something that necessarily needs to be balanced.

dave2008

Legend
The tattoos are magic items that take up an attunement slot. They don't stack.

Kurotowa

Legend
The tattoos are magic items that take up an attunement slot. They don't stack.

I believe every tattoo has this clause in the Tattoo Attunement section: "If you have multiple magic tattoos, they count as a single magic item with regard to the number of magic items you can attune to." Which is why the section on area coverage is a key balance limitation, not a random flavor thing.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases