D&D 5E Spells you house rule?

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Well ok, I mean, I'm really just used to it because, again, thanks to spells like dancing lights that I figure players are constantly refreshing in order to provide a constant light source for the party.
Some of this is certainly experience-based. I never see Dancing Lights used that way. Not for extended periods, at least. Light or actual lanterns or torches and so forth. The folks I play with tend to conceptualize that it would be annoying and tiresome for their character to keep casting the same thing every minute, so it's not something that would be done outside of extraordinary circumstances.

And Guidance doesn't require a set task, you can just throw it on your party Ranger to cover spotting enemies or whatnot.
Some of this is definitely a difference in how we're conceptualizing the fiction.

I agree that the spell description is broad enough to cover "Pelor, please guide my friend here for the next minute" without specifying a particular task, but if we're dealing with a period of a minute, I think it's clear that you're doing it for a specific reason, and with a specific prompt.

There's no reasonable way I, as a Cleric, am just constantly repeating prayers for someone's generalized success. I'd be hoarse and my deity might be annoyed. :) It could be "Please guide her hands with this lock", or it could be "Please guide his eyes and ears as he peeks his head over this ridge looking for enemies."

Also, if you have a Fighter, Cleric, or Paladin in your party, they're probably wearing heavier armor anyways, so what "creeping quietly down the hall" is happening here?
You can still move quietly in heavy armor. It's almost impossible to move silently, but there's a world of difference between being heard 10' -20' away, say walking softly, vs. 50' or 100' away, running pell-mell down the flagstoned hallway in your hard boots and mail chausses.

Well ok, I mean, I'm really just used to it because, again, thanks to spells like dancing lights that I figure players are constantly refreshing in order to provide a constant light source for the party.
yeah once PCs have at will abilities I assume they just use them alot
And Guidance doesn't require a set task, you can just throw it on your party Ranger to cover spotting enemies or whatnot.
yeah if the ranger or rogue (or illusionist) is going scouting give him a guidence for the 1st minute.
Not really sure why 5e decided to switch from +1 to +1d4, but by making it an at-will cantrip, it seems to me the intent was for it to be used quite often.
my bet is at one point it was advantage, and during playtest someone said "Thats just the help action" and they changed it up... the funny part is it is prety much a minor Bless and I don't get HOW that made it through playtest,
But then we could ask why they decided to make cantrips at will in the first place, instead of 6/day like in 3e.
I think that is simple. they wanted to kill the idea that a mystic character NEEDs a weapon. They don't want you to feel you HAVE to be the short sword crossbow wielding mage (but you CAN be. if you have a good dex)
The only thing that I can think of is "because Pathfinder did it".
no because 4e presided pathfinder... if anything pathfinder took 4e at wills

those not in the know: in 4e wizards got 4 cantrips that were at will utilities abilities and there 2 attack spells that were at will often got grouped in with them. In the PHB they only had 4 cantrips and 4 of the attack at will spells to choose from so all wizards had the same 4 cantrips and 2 of 4 attack ones... as more books came out more options came about.
Also, if you have a Fighter, Cleric, or Paladin in your party, they're probably wearing heavier armor anyways, so what "creeping quietly down the hall" is happening here?
I mean... we have a going joke of paladins yelling "I don't know how to stealth" at the top of there lungs...

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Some of this is certainly experience-based. I never see Dancing Lights used that way. Not for extended periods, at least. Light or actual lanterns or torches and so forth. The folks I play with tend to conceptualize that it would be annoying and tiresome for their character to keep casting the same thing every minute, so it's not something that would be done outside of extraordinary circumstances.

Some of this is definitely a difference in how we're conceptualizing the fiction.

I agree that the spell description is broad enough to cover "Pelor, please guide my friend here for the next minute" without specifying a particular task, but if we're dealing with a period of a minute, I think it's clear that you're doing it for a specific reason, and with a specific prompt.

There's no reasonable way I, as a Cleric, am just constantly repeating prayers for someone's generalized success. I'd be hoarse and my deity might be annoyed. :) It could be "Please guide her hands with this lock", or it could be "Please guide his eyes and ears as he peeks his head over this ridge looking for enemies."

You can still move quietly in heavy armor. It's almost impossible to move silently, but there's a world of difference between being heard 10' -20' away, say walking softly, vs. 50' or 100' away, running pell-mell down the flagstoned hallway in your hard boots and mail chausses.
Well that's been my experience with playing in 5e, the DM calls for a group Stealth check, and the one guy with disadvantage, no proficiency, and mediocre Dex always tanks the group, making you wonder why the DM bothered to ask in the first place...

As in all things, YMMV.

James Gasik

Supporter
Attack cantrips I support, I like being able to shoot a firebolt instead of the old "throw darts! that's what we did in the old days! and we liked it!" bit. But it seems a lot of people don't really care for all cantrips being at will.

Heck, I lost count of the amounts of complaining I would hear on Paizo's forums about detect magic being at-will. Did that not happen in 5e? I wasn't paying much attention after I saw the final product and wondered what happened to the D&D Next game I had playtested for two years...

Li Shenron

Legend

Not really sure why 5e decided to switch from +1 to +1d4, but by making it an at-will cantrip, it seems to me the intent was for it to be used quite often.

But then we could ask why they decided to make cantrips at will in the first place, instead of 6/day like in 3e.

The only thing that I can think of is "because Pathfinder did it".

Look... the short answer is that Guidance is simply a design mistake.

Every time the spamming problem was brought up to Mearls and Crawford since 2014, they always invariably answered it's not a real problem because they never see people spamming it.

So the intended rule is... do not spam it. If you spam it, you break the RAI. Cantrips are at will because you're not supposed to worry about running out of charges, NOT because they are meant to grant always-active benefits.

If you spam Guidance every minute, you are exploiting the RAW of a design mistake. That the designers refuse to acknowledge it was a mistake, doesn't make the mistake go away, but at least they've been clear about the intended use.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Well that's been my experience with playing in 5e, the DM calls for a group Stealth check, and the one guy with disadvantage, no proficiency, and mediocre Dex always tanks the group, making you wonder why the DM bothered to ask in the first place...
Sure, sure. But that's the mechanics. And those are mechanics some folks address by doing group Stealth checks rather than just saying "everyone has to make a Stealth check", which mathematically almost guarantees that someone's going to flub it, even if you don't have someone with low Dex rolling at Disadvantage.

I'm coming at this from an approach of using the rules to serve the fiction, bear in mind.

Attack cantrips I support, I like being able to shoot a firebolt instead of the old "throw darts! that's what we did in the old days! and we liked it!" bit. But it seems a lot of people don't really care for all cantrips being at will.
I go back and forth on this.

I definitely sympathize with players who want their magic person to be magical every round as opposed to shooting a crossbow or throwing a dagger.

For me it's setting-dependent. 5E with attack cantrips is giving us characters who have an infinite supply of magic at their fingertips. When I run 5 Torches Deep, OTOH, casters typically shoot bows for their "at-will" attack. There are no attack cantrips and non-cantrip spells require rolls to cast, with risks. Each system is presenting a setting with different assumptions and feel.

Heck, I lost count of the amounts of complaining I would hear on Paizo's forums about detect magic being at-will. Did that not happen in 5e? I wasn't paying much attention after I saw the final product and wondered what happened to the D&D Next game I had playtested for two years...
I can't remember. 5E has Detect Magic as a 1st level spell. You can cast it as a Ritual, but that takes 10 minutes, so that's only an option when there's little time pressure.

James Gasik

Supporter
Sure, sure. But that's the mechanics. And those are mechanics some folks address by doing group Stealth checks rather than just saying "everyone has to make a Stealth check", which mathematically almost guarantees that someone's going to flub it, even if you don't have someone with low Dex rolling at Disadvantage.

I'm coming at this from an approach of using the rules to serve the fiction, bear in mind.

I go back and forth on this.

I definitely sympathize with players who want their magic person to be magical every round as opposed to shooting a crossbow or throwing a dagger.

For me it's setting-dependent. 5E with attack cantrips is giving us characters who have an infinite supply of magic at their fingertips. When I run 5 Torches Deep, OTOH, casters typically shoot bows for their "at-will" attack. There are no attack cantrips and non-cantrip spells require rolls to cast, with risks. Each system is presenting a setting with different assumptions and feel.

I can't remember. 5E has Detect Magic as a 1st level spell. You can cast it as a Ritual, but that takes 10 minutes, so that's only an option when there's little time pressure.
I guess that would make a difference for detect magic.

I never considered that Guidance, it's very existence, is actually a flaw in the game. I mean, people tell me all the time that (hyperbole) 5e is the greatest RPG that has ever existed because of how popular it is, so nothing about it can be wrong! (/hyperbole).

I mean, I thought Bless seemed problematic and weird granting a d4 instead of +1 (after the dev team went on about getting rid of tracking minor bonuses and lauding the amazing advantage/disadvantage rule), but when I finally asked the community about it, the answers I got were "it's not great because concentration" and "the bonus doesn't really matter, because you were probably going to hit anyway".

That Guidance is a stickler for me confused me a little bit. Players can already Help each other, after all. And ability check DC's shouldn't really be super high anyways, given that the range of bonuses is typically -1 to +11. Checks in excess of DC 19-20 seem kind of heinous.*

*Not going to talk about Expertise here, that's a whole other kettle of fish.

But apparently the range of DC's is wider in most games than what I would assume, and that checks with a good chance of failure is the norm, which is where things like everyone Helping each other and Guidance stick out like proud nails.

I've heard horror stories about DM's insisting the adventure grinds to a halt while they force the group to climb a steep cliff, eating up game time and risking the adventure grinding to a halt if the Str 10 Wizard rolls a 4 and plummets to his doom (which then leads to gripes when said Wizard starts using magic to bypass the challenge while the Fighter grumbles about making 13 consecutive Strength check), but I figured those were outliers, and in reality, characters are asked to make checks only when it's important.

I mean, if you want the players to get to the Tomb of Ankharis across the Desert of Bleached White Bones, you're not going to lock it behind DC 15 Survival checks, right?

I mean, if you want the players to get to the Tomb of Ankharis across the Desert of Bleached White Bones, you're not going to lock it behind DC 15 Survival checks, right?
I have seen DMs be there own worst enemy... I have seen DMs lock vital clues behind DC 25 locks when the highest level lock pick has a +7... then get mad when they can't get through and they just left.

I played a game where there was this (flavor text) 'unbeatable' guardian protecting the ilsand the DM spent (not an exageration) more then a year of mapping planning... and we got there once, fought for a round or two fell back... made a plan buffed (this was 3.0) and headed back after round 3 fell back and said it wasn't worth it and left. (we made that DM cry)

I ran (so no one to blame but myself) a game concept in EVERY edition except 4e. I had a magic item called the S.T.E.P. (space time energy platform) that is an artifact in this world... it is vital to the story of the background. However every single campaign that ended (badly) ending started with a PC getting access to said artifact. You would think I would just not put it in play... but I am dumb.

oh wait the waterfall... a DM had this riddle to lead to (his entire planed campaign) a lost elven homeland... but no PC could figure it out. "The land and sea move as one at the four sided triangle" (i may be missremembering a bit of that it was 1997) we drew triangles we looked at the maps he drew... we begged for a clue. One player drew a triangle wrote 1 2 and 3 on the sides and said "The other side of the paper?" that campaign never started. We made characters did the first little get''ing the adventures togather' thing and then stalled.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases