D&D Movie/TV Spider-Man: Homecoming Writers Talk D&D Movie

Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley talked to Hollywood Reporter about the D&D movie, it's comedic themes, and how the directors are working directly with WotC. They directed Game Night, and wrote Spider-Man: Homecoming. They mentioned that they had been supposed to fly here to the UK to scout locations in March, but the pandemic interrupted that. They also mentioned comedic elements...

Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley talked to Hollywood Reporter about the D&D movie, it's comedic themes, and how the directors are working directly with WotC.

intro-1589208387.jpg

They directed Game Night, and wrote Spider-Man: Homecoming. They mentioned that they had been supposed to fly here to the UK to scout locations in March, but the pandemic interrupted that.

They also mentioned comedic elements and characters in the movie, which currently has a projected release date of May 27th, 2022. No actors are yet cast.

It's not an out and out comedy, but it is an action-fantasy movie with a lot of comedic elements and characters we hope people will really get into and enjoy watching their adventures.

Daley plays a weekly D&D game, so he is familiar with the genre. But the pair are working directly with WotC.

We haven't been accosted by players yet, but we are working with the Wizards of the Coast, the brand holders of D&D. They are the experts. We have people there that we work with and it's pretty helpful, because as much as we know about D&D, it's a drop in the bucket compared to the 45 years of lore that's out there, so these guys are such a resource. If we need a particular spell that a [high]-level wizard could do, they could give us a list. It's a lot of fun.

Indiana Jones is one example of adventure with some fun scenes. Sometimes James Bond had got some fun words, altough his special sense of humor. Even in Games of Thrones sometimes had got some moments.

D&D is being produced to be a future blockbuster, and the public wants to escape. D&D has enough space for different subgenres, including dark fantasy but the first title has to be for the mass media.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Yuck. I want no comedy in my D&D movie. My anticipation level for this just dropped to zero.
I don't know that I can imagine a D&D game where no one cracks a joke.

Humor is a natural relief valve for tense situations, as anyone who's ever served in the military or worked as a first responder knows.

More broadly available, Aliens, one of the great all time movies, is beloved for the wisecracks by the increasingly terrified Marines.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I guess some people don't like any comedy in their D&D games and would probably not want humor in D&D movies either. They're in the minority here, though. People tend to appreciate minor jokes in movies more than none whatsoever.
I found the Battlestar Galactica remake incredibly unrealistic, not for its robot holy war in space, but for the fact that no one ever cracked a joke and everything was 24/7 serious.

Human beings just don't act that way, even in the worst of circumstances.

the Jester

Legend
The trick is to not have a "designated comic relief". Everyone knows that Jar-Jar Binks and Tasslehoff Burrfoot are awful, but that's because they are surrounded by boring straight characters.

No, at least for JarJar, it's because he's awful. You could surround him with any number of funny characters who are really interesting, and Jar Jar would still be awful. Sometimes an awful character is simply an awful character.

(Tasslehoff is that rarest of exceptions- a kender who isn't universally awful.)

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I just hope they don’t try to come up with an original story. There’s so many great novels and storylines that have been written for this game. To me at least, the best way to respect this game we love would be to delve into that content. After that, regarding humour, I’m all for that. You can find plenty already in those stories !
No, a new story would appeal to a broader audience. I'm calling it now, they're making a new story.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
No, at least for JarJar, it's because he's awful. You could surround him with any number of funny characters who are really interesting, and Jar Jar would still be awful. Sometimes an awful character is simply an awful character.

(Tasslehoff is that rarest of exceptions- a kender who isn't universally awful.)
Everyone hates Jar-Jar except children. He was either made to be a goofy character for children, or to become a sith lord, or both.

Humor in D&D games and movies can be done extremely well. Ever had a Monk get a natural one on Acrobatics? Them face planting on the ground because they failed could be humorous at the right moment and tone.

Xena the warrior princess is other example of character who can be very serious, dark, grimmy and dramatic in some episodes, but some other times a true comedy.

To add any pieces of humor and comedy isn't bad, but the joke really are good and funny.

A good story should offer some ideals, for example the wisdow by the older spellcaster who gives good advices to the younger adventures, like a patriarchal or matriarchal figure, but nothing about social justice warriors, because it's sounds like the modern version of the typical and boring speech by preacher. D&D can tell lots of stories about different people who learn to work together and it hasn't to sound like a propaganda panphlet.

I don't know that I can imagine a D&D game where no one cracks a joke.

Out-of-character stupidity disguised as jokes is way different from in-character humor or humorous situations. I avoid playing with the first type of player, while the second type of player is fine, as long as it does not clash with what the DM is trying to do. Don't take it to the point you are just the comic relief.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
... make it true and to capture the essence of the source material.

The source material is a bunch of people sitting around a table pretending to be elves, eating snacks and partaking of favorite tasty beverages. Let us be clear that our hobby, while sometimes having some very emotional and moving moments, is not inherently terribly serious.

Remove ads

Remove ads