• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spiders in Drow of the Underdark

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
If they can't remember that spiders have two body parts -- again, third graders know this -- I'd expect Mialee to wander through with three breasts one of these days.

Come on, some third-graders might know, but not all of them. I can't remember ever hearing that in school. I probably have forgotten again. It's not that important a fact for me in everyday life. When I see spiders, I don't inspect them closely for number of body parts or anything.

Humans, on the other hand, I tend to see regularly.

I'm not sure, but those artists might be somewhat like me in that regard. They won't get the number of breasts wrong on a human (or mostly human humanoid - things like gnolls might get the wrong number occasionally), they probably don't look at spiders too often. Or they don't care too much how many body parts a spider is supposed to have - if they think it looks better with a spare part, they'll go for it.

lukelightning said:
And don't even get me started on the webs...it would be impossible to break spider webs as thick as the ones in the movie...they'd be strong enough to stop a friggin tank!

Not a tank made of mithril ;) :p

And then in episode 2F09, when Itchy plays Scratchy's skeleton like a xylophone, he strikes the same rib twice in succession, yet he produces two clearly different tones.

Of course. It's a little known fact that that very rib has a peculiar inner structure which will break down if hit with a certain amount of power - so when you hit it again, it will produce a different tone. But this only lasts a couple of minutes after being removed from the living body, after that, it dries out and the trick doesn't work any more. Try it out! Rip out someone's skeleton and play it!

pawsplay

Hero
Kae'Yoss said:
Come on, some third-graders might know, but not all of them. I can't remember ever hearing that in school. I probably have forgotten again. It's not that important a fact for me in everyday life. When I see spiders, I don't inspect them closely for number of body parts or anything.

If you happen to have even the vaguest intrest in spiders, however, a malformed spider looks just as stupid as an anatomically incorrect Mialee.

And I would hope that a professional artist hired by WotC would take time to look at a few pictures of spiders before illustrating a drow book.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Kae'Yoss said:
Come on, some third-graders might know, but not all of them. I can't remember ever hearing that in school. I probably have forgotten again.
You forgot. It's third-grade material, I assure you.

It's not that important a fact for me in everyday life. When I see spiders, I don't inspect them closely for number of body parts or anything.
So you'd be OK with a horse with a lion's tail? Or a bird with fangs in a D&D book? Those are equally unimportant but equally stupid.

I'm not sure, but those artists might be somewhat like me in that regard. They won't get the number of breasts wrong on a human (or mostly human humanoid - things like gnolls might get the wrong number occasionally), they probably don't look at spiders too often.
Then shame on them. Their job was to depict a fantasy version of an animal. Basic familiarity with what they're depicting is part of what they're getting paid for.

If they can't handle the very simple anatomy of a spider, I suppose it's no wonder many of them can't handle human musculature, either, since they haven't even mastered the basics.

DM_Jeff

Explorer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
It's the same artists and the same art director as all other WotC art. If they can't remember that spiders have two body parts -- again, third graders know this -- I'd expect Mialee to wander through with three breasts one of these days.

Well, it's D&D, maybe she's cursed (or blessed depending on how weird you are).

Doesn't Reaper have a miniature for that?

-DM Jeff

Voadam

Legend
JustKim said:
I have this book and with it the answer to the question burning on everyone's mind: Are the spiders anatomically correct? The answer is no.

Page 13: Diagram of a spider with three distinct body segments. Spiders do not have a thorax. Theme is repeated ad infinitum in the desk's spider motif, complete with mandibles. Spiders do not have mandibles.

Page 21: Matron Mother's staff and broach. Even though these are objet d'art, drow artisans would very well know that a spider's legs do not sprout from its abdomen, and that spiders do not have mandibles.

Page 31: Spider decor with legs sprouting from abdomens. Spiders' legs only sprout from the cephalothorax.

Page 51: Patella and metatarsus are missing. Also spider is wearing shoes, spiders don't wear shoes, that is silly.

Page 52: Patella is in the wrong place on spider's legs. Patella should come between femur and tibia to enable circulation and prevent death. Spider's legs end in one claw- all spiders' legs end in two or three claws, else manipulation of webbing is impossible. Possibly spider is an octuple amputee.

Page 66: Spiders seem to have a distinct head and thorax. Spiders have a fused cephalothorax.

Page 91: Dissected spider has a distinct head and thorax. Patella is missing. Spider has long spinnerets characteristic only of funnelweb spiders, but lack any other funnelweb spider trait. Spider's legs end in a single claw.

Page 104: Spider has a distinct head and thorax. Spider has mandibles.

Page 105: Spider has a distinct head and thorax. Patella and metatarsus are missing.

Page 109: Spider's legs all end in a single claw.

Page 143: Patella and metatarsus are missing in all spiders. Pedipalps of widowmaker incorrectly resemble fangs.

I'm sure everyone will agree that this is a travesty. Stop it, fantasy artists. Stop it.

I applaud you and your bio-arachnophilia. :)

Remove ads