Spiders in Drow of the Underdark

lukelightning

First Post
Kae'Yoss said:
Yeah, and that Cerberus thingy I read about. He was a dog, but had three frickin' heads! I know he's a mythical creature and not at all real, but come on! :p

Totally difference. Cerberus's special feature is his multiple heads, and is described as such.

Shelob is described as being an enormous spider. They decided to add a sting onto her for some reason, even though Tolkein himself doesn't mention it. And don't even get me started on the webs...it would be impossible to break spider webs as thick as the ones in the movie...they'd be strong enough to stop a friggin tank! And then in episode 2F09, when Itchy plays Scratchy's skeleton like a xylophone, he strikes the same rib twice in succession, yet he produces two clearly different tones. I mean, what are we to believe, that this is some sort of a magic xylophone or something? Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

;)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
DM_Jeff said:
Personally I don't care. It's D&D. As long as men and women are correct, the beasties can be any fantasy -imagined mis-match they want if it looks cool.
It's the same artists and the same art director as all other WotC art. If they can't remember that spiders have two body parts -- again, third graders know this -- I'd expect Mialee to wander through with three breasts one of these days.

Corvidae

First Post
lukelightning said:
Totally difference. Cerberus's special feature is his multiple heads, and is described as such.

Shelob is described as being an enormous spider. They decided to add a sting onto her for some reason, even though Tolkein himself doesn't mention it. And don't even get me started on the webs...it would be impossible to break spider webs as thick as the ones in the movie...they'd be strong enough to stop a friggin tank! And then in episode 2F09, when Itchy plays Scratchy's skeleton like a xylophone, he strikes the same rib twice in succession, yet he produces two clearly different tones. I mean, what are we to believe, that this is some sort of a magic xylophone or something? Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

;)

Actually, when Tolkien describes Sam and Shelob fighting, he says that Sam is "out of reach or her sting and her claws" pg 337 The Two Towers

I know I am a dork, but that is probably why the movies gave Shelob a stinger.

lukelightning

First Post
Corvidae said:
Actually, when Tolkien describes Sam and Shelob fighting, he says that Sam is "out of reach or her sting and her claws" pg 337 The Two Towers

Yeah, but her sting, I would argue, is in her mouth.... but really it's only a minor rant for me and I can totally accept the fact that she isn't really a spider, she's a spider creature.

However I think that artists representing real-life creatures, or creatures closely related to real-life animals, have a responsibility to get the basics right.

It reminds me of this catalog of fantasy replica swords that had the "heron marked sword " from the Wheel of Time series. The heron was inscribed very realistically and with great detail, except for one glaring problem: The legs are backwards.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
pawsplay said:
Obviously, speakers of Spanish have a deep concern for the various fingers being in the proper location.
WotC needs to hire more Spanish Zoologists.

Corvidae

First Post
lukelightning said:
Yeah, but her sting, I would argue, is in her mouth.... but really it's only a minor rant for me and I can totally accept the fact that she isn't really a spider, she's a spider creature.

However I think that artists representing real-life creatures, or creatures closely related to real-life animals, have a responsibility to get the basics right.

It reminds me of this catalog of fantasy replica swords that had the "heron marked sword " from the Wheel of Time series. The heron was inscribed very realistically and with great detail, except for one glaring problem: The legs are backwards.

Ok, you are absolutely correct. Perhaps there is a larger problem of fantasy artist and artisans not using real world references.

I will look into this further

Remove ads