D&D 5E Spiritual Weapon vs. Fire Shield

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
RAW yes. As a DM, no.

Interesting idea: since the spectral hammer occupies no space, but must be within 5' of the creature it hits, what if the fire shield erupted into the space the hammer was in?

Example: Cleric casts Spiritual Weapon (SW), which is "in" the space occupied by X, an ally to the fire shield caster. When the hammer hits, the fire shield erupts into the space the attack came from, hitting X instead!

1669301436079.png

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Spiritual Weapon is defined as a melee spell attack and the creature is within 5', though. So what would make you rule no?
But it's not you physically interacting with the spell, it's the spiritual weapon. The spiritual weapon is engulfed in flames and ... takes no damage because it doesn't have HP. Would you take damage if your goblin friend attacked the fire-shield warded target? Of course not, the goblin would take damage.

From a rule as written, maybe. But this is why the GM is there, to make sure that things make sense .

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
RAW yes. As a DM, no.

Interesting idea: since the spectral hammer occupies no space, but must be within 5' of the creature it hits, what if the fire shield erupted into the space the hammer was in?

Example: Cleric casts Spiritual Weapon (SW), which is "in" the space occupied by X, an ally to the fire shield caster. When the hammer hits, the fire shield erupts into the space the attack came from, hitting X instead!

View attachment 267757
See now that might hit X. I'm not sure I would run it that way, but it makes more sense than the cleric taking damage...

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I’d go with no since the melee attack comes through the spiritual weapon, not the caster who just happens to be within 5 feet of the shielded target.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
No one has used fireshield in a 5e game of mine, but here is another scenario where I would house rule: what if the attacker is 10 feet away and using a melee attack (they have range, say a polearm or large size?)

I would damage the attacker if they were attacking with a natural weapon (they get singed) but not if the attack was delivered with a weapon (pole arm, big sword with big arms).

Remove ads