• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Splitting the market (Forked from: What D&D is to me, in terms of editions.)

RFisher

Explorer
Forked from: What D&D is to me, in terms of editions.

The only difference to me is that WotC, unlike TSR, isn't producing two significantly different D&D versions at the same time and splitting their own market....

My impression is that AD&D was significantly more popular in the USA and UK while (non-A) D&D was more popular (or perhaps merely easier to get—especially in translated form) elsewhere.

Furthermore...

The vast majority of people I knew who played AD&D had bought a Basic Set. People generally ignored the D&D/AD&D split when buying/using modules and other supplements.

Ignoring the actual reasons behind the split (whether you believe them or not), I’m not sure it was really such bad business.

Last edited:

Yeah; back in the day, we just called it "D&D," and didn't really distinguish. If someone asked "which version," we'd have probably said "AD&D," but my early AD&D had a very healthy chunk of Holmes Basic in it. As the years marched on, my AD&D game became closer to "by-the-book" AD&D (as much as you can get that, anyway), but it was a long process. And even when I was playing AD&D btb, I freely bought and used Classic D&D material with it.

(These days, I'm doing my own thing with OD&D, so I'm back to calling it "D&D" and running it "my way.")

Last edited:

tankschmidt

Explorer
In practice, I didn't think there was much splitting of the market at all. My group, like most I think, freely bought and mixed both AD&D and basic D&D source books and adventures. It's not like there was much conversion necessary. We wouldn't even bother switching the base AC from 9 to 10 if we were running a Basic adventure. And we took what we liked from both systems - simple initiative from Basic and separate races and classes from AD&D. I think there's good entry about this exact situation in Jeff's Gameblog.

Dausuul

Legend
I played both, but a lot of the people I played with in college were AD&D only and had little or no acquaintance with the Basic rules.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
There was almost a synergy between the two. You get the boxed sets, but then jump to AD&D, well, you buy the books. Then used AD&D classes, races, and monsters, but essentially "D&D" rules, and probably B/XD&D adventures (since there were like 2 low level AD&D ones). Which probably helped everyone.

The split I think came latter, first with companion, masters, and imortal rules (though those also had things peopled used in their AD&D games, like the war machine), then, especially, with 2nd edition. That just seemed to kill it.

Remathilis

Legend
The "market splitting" didn't happen in the 70s/80s, it happened in the 90s.

Until 2e, most of the rules in Holmes BD&D and Gygax AD&D was really a question of complexity: do you use 3, 5, or 9 alignments, is elf a class or a race, what damage does magic-missile do, etc. You could (with little problem for an experienced DM) run a BD&D group through Against the Giants or a AD&D group through Keep of the Borderlands and the differences would be minor.

However, 2e and BECMI/Rule Cyclopedia showed the schism in much greater relief. An elf (fighter/m-u) in BECMI could cast in armor, an AD&D 2e elf fighter/mage could not. Non-weapon proficiencies, kits, race-like-classes, 20 vs. 36 levels, immortal rules, Realms-themed vs. Mystara themed, and the eventually "dumbing down" of BECMI as a gateway product to 2e made the two games very different, less interchangeable without conversion, and more like two different games than a simple/complex version of the same game it had been years earlier.

I never bought a Basic Set, straight to AD&D. We used Basic & AD&D modules interchangeably, and later on I used 2nd Edition modules after re-writing the NPC's on paper. The monsters generally didn't need extensive re-writes between AD&D and 2nd -- either I kept it as a "new" 2nd Edition monster, or I just switched it for AD&D stats, only writing down the HP and perhaps some tactics and extracted stats -- the MM told you everything you needed in convenient form, but scribbling it down saved some flipping of books.

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
I know it´s anecdotal evidence, but here in Germany, the split was there. Mostly because no roleplayer i knew really got the difference between D&D and AD&D - D&D wasn´t the most popular game, and the flow of information was often non-existent.
So someone would play a D&D version, then get a late AD&D / AD&D2 supplement, and go "wtf?" When you´re young, you´ve not a lot of patience for conversion, and what looks negligible to an adult could get you fuming in no time. I "inherited" several AD&D books from people who played D&D and couldn´t make head or tails of the rules.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads