Spontaneous Casting and Wizards

Benben

First Post
I'm thinking of allowing wizards in my campaign a very *limited* for of spontaneous casting.

If they have an unprepared slot, and their spell book in front of them, then they may cast as a sorcerer, but the casting time increases to 5 minutes per level of the spell.

Exampe: Snogrith needs to cast Mage Armor. He doesn't have it prepared, but he does have a 2nd level spell slot unprepared. He decides then to cast an Extended Mage Armor, a process that takes 10 minutes.

Doesn't seem to be overpower, but makes the spell system a little less Vancian/Zelazny like.

Am I off my rocker for allowing this?

Tony Vargas

Legend
This is very close to the standard system that lets a Wiz fill an open slot by studying his spellbook for 15 minutes. With low level spells, it'll be a little quicker, otherwise it'll take longer. It gives a slightly different feel, but I see no problem with it.

Eternalknight

First Post
I have thought about this before, and two of us came up with an idea that we think works. We basically say that it takes 1d4 rounds to find the spell in the spellbook, then a Spellcraft check or caster level check with an appropriate DC is required. If all goes well, the spell is cast.

Teydyn

First Post
I have thought about this before, and two of us came up with an idea that we think works. We basically say that it takes 1d4 rounds to find the spell in the spellbook, then a Spellcraft check or caster level check with an appropriate DC is required. If all goes well, the spell is cast.

Uhh... thats way too fast IMO, maybe make it 1 min, but i dont like that too... its the only thing sorcerers are better at then wizards, dont take it away from em!

Eternalknight

First Post
I should have said we have altered sorcerers a little. One extra spell per level, a few more Cha based skills... But under the core rules, then I agree, too quick. However, the Spellcraft checks can ruin a wizard's fun if they fail them.

TheFlamingRheo

First Post
No, my DM always says where is my spontaneous casting when I ask to adjust the sorcerer to make a little bit more powerful. Wizards have feat that lets them do this, plus they get scribe scroll at first level and bonus feats every five levels. If wizards become able to do this then why is it that sorcerers can't spend a lengthy process to learn new spells with out a wish or use a spell known slot!

Last edited:

Benben

First Post
TheFlamingRheo said:
Wizards have feat that lets them do this, plus they get scribe scroll at first level and bonus feats every five levels. If wizards become able to do this then why is it that sorcerers can't spend a lengthy process to learn new spells with out a wish or use a spell known slot![/color]

Which feat? I'm just altering the preparation process. Wizards still need their spell book to study.

Mostly this is done to show that arcane magic is always spontaneous, Wizards are just much slower with it, but are able to learn more spells.

Remove ads