SPYCRAFT Blood Money (OOC : Tactics)

Luddite

First Post
The "Cost" would be having Ghost spend an action die to move him from Helpful to Ally, then having Roman spend an action die to set him up with a new ID and Cover.

I have already spent my last die to get information out of him for now.

However, I would defer to Game Control to tell us what we will get for what we invest.

-Luddite

Game Control

First Post
First of all; Neilan isn't retired CIA. He's been ''exiled'' here. Control has hinted that it might be because of a drinking problem (during the opening speech). But of course, it might be the other way around; if you were exiled to Zimbabwe, wouldn't you start drinking?

Second of all, if you make an ally out of him there is no immediate payoff in this serial. He is already friendly enough to provide you with all the info you need.

But if he becomes an ally he would become a permanent contact for the team, a contact owing much more loyalty to the players than to the Foundation.

If you can succeed a favor check and convince the Foundation to use its contact inside the CIA in order to have Neilan reassigned elsewhere, he could become a very useful contact. Especially if he's reassigned to Langley (CIA's HQ) until his retirement. Having him reassigned to one of the major European capitals wouldn't be bad either.

BTW; he doesn't need to be an ''Ally'' to be useful. With Luddite's AD he is already ''Helpful'' which isn't half bad. These dispositions only determine how far and how much risk an NPC will take to help (or hinder) you. An ''Ally'', for example, would risk his job and his life without hesitation. A ''Helpful'' NPC is still willing to go to great lenght but his loyalty is not unconditional.

But ''Helpful'' or ''Ally'', you absolutely need to get him out of Zimbabwe if you wish to use him as a contact. I have no plan to send you back to Zimbabwe once this business is done!

Last edited:

Luddite

First Post
Okay. Thanks for the clarification. But at this point, I believe that Roman will work on getting him out of Zimbawe, and somewhere "nice." Langely would be nice.

My guess is that about once a serial, after this one, we would be able to use him as a bonus in getting some info or favor check. Of course he may call on us for a favor as well. :)

-Luddite

Luddite

First Post
African Dream : Post Mortum

Well that was fun. Even though at the begining I was worried that everyone went their own direction, everyone was able to add their own spice to it. Kudos to all.

-Luddite

Steel Ronin

First Post
<<Well that was fun. Even though at the begining I was worried that everyone went their own direction, everyone was able to add their own spice to it. Kudos to all.

-Luddite>>

I guess the mess was a good thing after all. We survived it, saved the contact, found out a little more about each other (ourselves too), and what each of us has to offer to the team. "A pat on the back for everyone!"

By the way Game Control - great ruling on the tire and the difficulty of the shot. I also could not find a rule for a called shot. As I was trying to anticipate what you would do, I was thinking along the same lines (considering the size and cover the car provided to the tire). - Very fair. Good call and great job so far with the game.

Last edited:

Game Control

First Post
Steel Ronin said:
By the way Game Control - great ruling on the tire and the difficulty of the shot. I also could not find a rule for a called shot. As I was trying to anticipate what you would do, I was thinking along the same lines (considering the size and cover the car provided to the tire). - Very fair. Good call and great job so far with the game.

Yeah, maybe a little too fair. ;)

I'm a little worried that this might happen every single chase.

Basicly, the way I ran it, you got a critical success for free.

I think next time I'll require an AD before attempting the shot. It would be more in line with the overall mechanics of the game.

Normally you roll a threat then expand an AD

For a call shot you'd expand an AD and then make a tougher than normal shot.

Pros; you choose when to score a critical, you even have greater control on the effect of the critical.

Cons; you might fail and waste the AD! You expanded the AD and yet you still have to beat a DC that is higher than normal.

This would be reasonably balanced and not game breaking, I believe.

Steel Ronin

First Post
<<I think next time I'll require an AD before attempting the shot. It would be more in line with the overall mechanics of the game.

Normally you roll a threat then expand an AD

For a call shot you'd expand an AD and then make a tougher than normal shot. >>

How would you like us to type this?

Called Shot: I shoot at the tire and hope to cause it to explode. (+6* 1/- O)

Something like that?

Remove ads