• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

SquareForge - Modular Dungeons (Tile System for RPG Mapping)

Perram

Explorer
I dig the idea, and I can see how it could be rather neat. But I worry the tiles are too small. If they were on chip board or something thicker, it wouldn't be a problem, but because they're curling up it means lots of little gaps to catch wind / the bottoms of miniatures as they're moved over things.

darjr

I crit!
hmmm didn't look like curling to me, at first, just maybe that the underlay wasn't even. But I think I can see a bit of curling.

SquareForge

First Post
SquareForge has just launched downloadable PDF Tiles available for purchase on our website. Now you can download our tile sets and print them yourself.

We will still be releasing our professionally printed decks, but are still working on the tile sets. We've nearly quadrupled the size of our decks from the original 16 tiles to the 60 tile patterns now available in two 30-pattern sets (The Master Set and Expansion Set). To further complicate things, we've decided to create 4 variations of each tile pattern for a total of 120 cards per set (That's 30 patterns with 4 variations per pattern). With the Master & Expansion Sets that a total of 240 individual tiles between the two sets. And this is just for one of the Terrains (We are launching with four Terrain choices; Dungeons, Caverns, Forests and Waters).

Soon, we'll upgrade the downloadable PDFs on our website to include the same tile sets as the printed cards. Any purchases made now will be rewarded the missing variations when they are released. As a matter of fact, any upgrades, enhancements, fixes, or improvements that we make will always be available to you at no additional costs!

http://www.squareforge.com/pdf-modular-tiles.html

If PDF tiles interest you, please be sure to check out the new SquareForge tiles. If you're still waiting for the printed cards, please hang in there just a little bit longer. Once the 4 variations of all of our terrain sets are complete, we've got to upload them to the printer, order a copy for ourselves, proof them, and then make any adjustments as necessary before these cards can be sold to the general public. We expect this process to take about 2 more weeks. (fingers crossed)

The Kickstarter Campaign will be the last step (if we go that route at all) We'll make announcements as we learn more.

howlingmime

First Post
Neat idea. Could also lead to some nice random dungeon creation -- either by the DM before the session or live as the players crawl through the wizard's maze.

Couple this with a thematic gaming mat (or even 12"x12" tiles that provide the dungeon or exterior terrain base and you've got something really neat. The issues I could see with these cards is that 1) it might be too easy to walk off the edge of the map and 2) the possibility of the edges and corners curling up, especially if played in humid conditions, or if a drink is spilled near them.

If the cards are laminated and thicker than typical cards, this becomes less of a concern. Also, since they're available as a pdf, they could be printed and glued to a thicker cardstock or foamboard.

Good luck with this as a Kickstarter campaign.

Baddreams

First Post
Very nice! I just checked out your video. I just started a Kickstarer myself that might work pretty well with yours. Mine is a Table that you custom design and I've been seeing a lot of Table Top gamers create their own Terrain/Boards and using it with my Table. You're able to put the Terrain/Boards on one side of my Table and flip the Table over when youre done playing so it's back to a "normal" table with a nice wood stain of your color choice. Please search "Limitless Table" on kickstarter if you have a few seconds. Thanks!

SquareForge

First Post
It's been quite a while since I've posted anything. I thought I'd share the latest Square Forge updates...

When I started this thread, Square Forge consisted of 16 different tile patterns. I followed your guidance and increased my tile selection. I spent long hours, manually selecting from hundreds of variations, until I came up with 60 tile patterns that I felt really needed to be included in my sets. From 16 to 60! I divided those tiles into two groups. The Master Set contains 30 of the most useful tiles, while the Expansion helps to fill in the gaps with the remaining 30 patterns.

The next step was to create the missing tiles for each of my 4 terrain sets. I accomplished that feat, and made the tile sets available in PDF format through the website. Then I moved on to the next challenge... To find a professional printing company who could produce the decks in high quality, but at a price most people could live with.

After play-testing with these cards, I realized that the cards need a little bit of revision. My original 16 patterns provided 4 variations of each pattern (a total of 64 cards). These slight variations allowed the playing field to take on a much more organic look. I liked that aspect very much, so I've spent the past couple of weeks updating my 4 terrain sets to include an additional variation for each card. The work is still under-way, but I'll be doubling the size of my decks in the coming weeks. Anyone who has already purchased the PDFs will be able to re-download them at leisure (once they are launched) at no extra costs. When you purchase any PDF from Square Forge, you get lifetime access to any adjustments or upgrades at no additional fees. If you have already purchased our tiles, just watch for our Newsletter posts in the coming weeks. We'll be sure to announce this when the tiles are ready to download.

After much consideration, I've finally decided to stick with this formula. Each Master (or Expansion) Set will consist of 30 unique tile patterns, with 2 graphic variations per pattern. That's a total of 60 cards per set. Since there are two sets, that means there will be 120 cards per terrain type. The variations are intended to give your map-making scenarios more randomness.

WHAT'S NEXT?

* Double the size of our PDFs. (in the coming weeks)

* Professionally printed decks. (both print and pdf options will be available through our website once the PDF updates are completed)

* FREE sample PDF (hand drawn ink pen on aged paper) Note: The free PDF will be available to anyone who registers on our website, as an incentive to get more people interested in the Square Forge tile system. I'm hoping people actually like the free set, and use them in their games. In the meantime, I've dropped the price of our Water Tiles to just $0.99, which could serve as a sampler for now. This temporary price reduction will be restored once I launch the free sample PDF.

* New terrain types. I've got a long list of terrains that I want to develop, and would encourage you guys to shout out some of your ideas so that I can see what is most anticipated. I'm not looking for new or interesting ideas, because the list is already so long. I hope you guys will shout out only the ideas that you want to see developed immediately. You guys have already been extremely helpful in the development, so chances are, I'll listen to your requests. :)

As far as the Kickstarter Campaign is concerned.. I've somehow managed to squeeze by without it. The printing company that I found is willing to print on demand, which means I don't need to invest in large inventories of product. I may consider Kickstarter for future enhancements, such as apps, or accessories, but for now, it just doesn't seem necessary.

Oh yeah.. One last thing... If you live in Las Vegas, and wanna get together to play-test the Square Forge tiles... Then consider contacting me. I'd love to sit in on a session, and see how your Dungeon Master integrates these cards into your game. I'd love to film some of your game, and post some of the footage on the website.

Remove ads