• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

SRD monsters in the new statblock format

Dalamar

Adventurer
None of the Black dragons I've statted have ranks in Jump (that would be redundant to say the least). However, I've included skills that have bonuses other than ranks, and due to its speed of 60ft, a black dragon gains +12 to Jump.
Also, with an Intelligence of 8, it has only 35 skill points, allowing it to max out Hide and Move Silently in addition to the three sensory skills. Add in its +8 size bonus to Hide and +8 racial bonus to swim thanks to having a swim speed, and you arrive at the numbers I have.

AWizardInDallas

First Post
Thanks

Thanks for the information but I can't say I agree. Jump doesn't concern me, but ranks in climb do. It sort of confounds me that a wyrming with no ranks in climb could die from a 60' fall simply on a bad climb roll. It seems to me that dragons would be natural climbers but no where is this mentioned. They have no climb movement rates in their stats either. Climb is a cross-class skill for most dragons so they also have to pay for the privledge. Odd...

Mortis

First Post
AWizardInDallas said:
(6+Int OR minimum of 1)*(HD+3) --> (6+1)*(4+3) --> (7)*(7) = 49 skill points

The minimum of 1 comes into play ONLY if when subtracting an Int penalty from the base skill points you get 0 or less)

i.e. in the example you posted above the actual skill points would be 35.

(6+Int OR minimum of 1)*(HD+3) --> (6-1)*(4+3) --> (5)*(7) = 35

However, for example, a 4th level fighter with an Int 5 would have 7 not 21 skill points because the -3 penalty for his Int takes his base skill points to less than 1.

(2+Int OR minimum of 1)*(HD+3) --> (2-3)*(4+3) --> (-1 which becomes minimum +1)*(7) = 7

Regards
Mortis

Dalamar

Adventurer
I don't think it's that odd. They have a flight speed, so if they need to reach a high place fast, they can just fly. Sure, older dragons have a Poor maneuverability, but they have the Strength to make most needed Climb DCs on a Take 10.
Note also that they benefit from their great landspeed and thus climb twice as fast as a human.

Dalamar

Adventurer
Random musing of the.... uh, time.

Lamia have a language-dependant spell-like ability (suggestion), but the SRD or the MM does not list which languages they speak or whether they actually can speak at all. Presumably, since they're partly human, they speak Common.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Yes, earlier D&D sources indicate that lamia speak common (except for the sa'ir variety that don't really speak).

AWizardInDallas

First Post
Mortis said:
The minimum of 1 comes into play ONLY if when subtracting an Int penalty from the base skill points you get 0 or less)

i.e. in the example you posted above the actual skill points would be 35.

(6+Int OR minimum of 1)*(HD+3) --> (6-1)*(4+3) --> (5)*(7) = 35
Yes, you're correct. Thanks for the clarification. In the case of calculating a dragon's skills, it's never really going to come into play then, assuming the standard stats. White dragons have the lowest intelligence bonus (-2) so they'll never adjust the base to zero or below. Thanks again. Nasty little caveats in the rules anyway... :)

AWizardInDallas

First Post
Dalamar said:
I don't think it's that odd. They have a flight speed, so if they need to reach a high place fast, they can just fly. Sure, older dragons have a Poor maneuverability, but they have the Strength to make most needed Climb DCs on a Take 10.
Note also that they benefit from their great landspeed and thus climb twice as fast as a human.
Wow. The rules for aerial combat seem to have been taken completely out of 3E. I thought it was strange and still do. Of course my assumptions are based on rules that are no longer in the Dungeon Master's Guide.

In 2E when an aerial creature takes 2/3 of it's HP in damage it can no longer fly and must land soon or will plumet. So if a damaged dragon can't Jump it would have to rely only on it's land speed or some other form of movement. It seems under 3E a dragon with just 1 hit point can still fly which is just daffy.

Also, six of the true dragons in MMI are actually not all that fast on land, moving at only 40 ft. in most cases which is only a +4 to Jump (+12 for those that move 60 ft.). That's only two more squares than a human. Dragons without ranks in Jump who've taken that much damage have no escape alternatives, assuming the 2/3 damage rule. I think they should, especially considering the situations they may get themselves into are unpredictable.

Why give them no option but to limp away or die? It would be far cooler if say a dragon cornered at the edge of a great chasm leapt across and escaped to return another day.

A dragon can't take 10 on a Jump roll if it's being threatened and that's when it would matter.

Dragons also have no Climb speeds so don't really benefit from their land speed in a climb that I can see? Finally, Red, Copper and Silver dragons have Jump as a class skill so why wouldn't they take ranks?

On a side issue, I can't understand why dragons would take ranks in Intimidate at all since they have dragon fear? I also question the value of Diplomacy and Bluff to a dragon too.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads