• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Stances in 4e? Wooopie!!!

HeinorNY

First Post
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
I might be wrong, but I think ainatan wasn't really ironic/sarcasic in his post. (Except towards the "videogamey"-bashers...)
I wasn't. It would be very cool if we had stances like in WoW.
Defensive Stance: +2 to Defenses
Aggressive Stance: +2 to damage
etc, things like that, and as the other poster mentioned, Powers that work better if used under some stances would also be fun.

[rant]Regarding the videogamey thing, your way of thinking is understandable and I'm really sad we had so much bashing, so much "4E is WoW and it is a bad thing" misinformation right in the beggining of the 4E forum, that some people today feel bad about giving an opinion in wich "WOW + 4E = cool". They are somehow unconsciously restrained to allow themselves to give such an opinion, as if it was a sinful thought.
We should do a big effort to demystify that. WoW elements in 4E can be a good thing for the game and people should feel free to put that opinion without fearing bashing or being called irconic/sarcastic/flamers etc.
Until we accomplish that, the initial "videogamey bashers" are still winning.[/rant]

Lord Sessadore said:
I agree that would be fun. And, you know, it makes sense. Who cares if it looks like WoW
That's what I'm talking about. You are completelly right Lord Sessadore, no one should care. It's not a sin to think that. It would be fun, and that's what matters afterall. WoW is a great game and it's more than a valid source of influence for D&D.
I'd be really pissed off if people started saying that 4E is becoming Tibia or Ultima Online.

I'm a WoW player and a D&D payer and I'm switching to 4E.

ainatan said:
Defensive Stance: +2 to Defenses
Aggressive Stance: +2 to damage
etc, things like that, and as the other poster mentioned, Powers that work better if used under some stances would also be fun.
It might be something very different, but even Torg had a mechanic in that directions. There were All-Out-Attacks that either reduced your defense or dealt some damage.

Oh, and there were cool sweet rules for "One on Many", "Many on One" for attacking multiple targets or being attacked by multiple targets. But I suppose that's totally off-topic here...

[rant]Regarding the videogamey thing, your way of thinking is understandable and I'm really sad we had so much bashing, so much "4E is WoW and it is a bad thing" misinformation right in the beggining of the 4E forum, that some people today feel bad about giving an opinion in wich "WOW + 4E = cool". They are somehow unconsciously restrained to allow themselves to give such an opinion, as if it was a sinful thought.
We should do a big effort to demystify that. WoW elements in 4E can be a good thing for the game and people should feel free to put that opinion without fearing bashing or being called irconic/sarcastic/flamers etc.
Until we accomplish that, the initial "videogamey bashers" are still winning.[/rant]

That's what I'm talking about. You are completelly right Lord Sessadore, no one should care. It's not a sin to think that. It would be fun, and that's what matters afterall. WoW is a great game and it's more than a valid source of influence for D&D.
I'd be really pissed off if people started saying that 4E is becoming Tibia or Ultima Online.

I'm a WoW player and a D&D payer and I'm switching to 4E.
I agree. Though since I know little about actual WoW experience. I wasn't convinced after the first two quests with the plot of "kill n enemies to get m items" or something like that. But I know that that's not all to WoW, but it just meant to me I would have to spend to much time on the game once it has sucked me in, and I wanted to protect myself from that. :) If that was all there was to WoW, I wouldn't want D&D to become like WoW, or steal anything from WoW. But luckily, there is a lot more to it.

med stud

First Post
Gundark said:
I like the idea of stances. nice.

By the way the new catchprase isn't WoW or MMORPG it's CCG.

4e is sooo CCG.
And so we come full circle :)

I was around when 3e was anounced (under a different nick), I remember a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth about 3e being too much like MtG ;).

Crashy75

First Post
med stud said:
And so we come full circle :)

I was around when 3e was anounced (under a different nick), I remember a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth about 3e being too much like MtG ;).
I remember thinking that very thing. I thought it was a good thing however.

The Little Raven

First Post
ainatan said:

You might be interested in the Warrior class that my co-worker and I have been working on during our lunch breaks, as we're trying to translate the mechanics of the WoW Warrior (rage generation and expenditure, rather than at-will, per-encounter, and per-day) while sticking close to 4e's core rules (though some allowances must be made in either direction).

HeinorNY

First Post
Crashy75 said:
I have a question. I've never played WoW. How similar are WoW stances to bo9s stances?
I'm not familiar with Bo9S stances but in WoW, warriors have 3 stances.
From WoWWiki:

"Battle Stance: The standard starting stance for all Warriors. A balance of offensive and defensive abilities. (-20% Threat Generated)
Defensive Stance: As it suggests, more defensive oriented and fewer offensive damaging moves. Best used when playing in the main tank role (-10% Damage Received, -10% Damage Inflicted, +30% Threat Generated).
Berserker Stance: All out attack with little regard to the Warrior's own health. Best used when somebody else is tanking and you need full-on DPS (+3% Crit, +10% Damage Received, -20% Threat Generated).

Some Warrior Abilities are not available based on which stance you are in, so choose wisely! "

Warriors keep their Stances "on" all the time. The stance the warrior uses depends on his build(role). A tank/defender simply uses Defensive Stance all the time, for example.
It's pretty much that. Bo9S stances are probably more elaborated.

Last edited:

Cirex

First Post
Stances are quite different in BoS9. To begin with, I don't recall any maneouver that requires you to be in certain stance to be used.

To add some information to Ainatan's post, stances got a quite set usage. You will be using defensive stance when tanking, berserker stance when DPSing / PVPing and battle stance in order to use certain skills. Although that most skills that were stance-exclusive have become available to other stances (Thunder Clap, etc.).

Only the warrior had stances, while at BoS9 all classes got stances available, with a very specific effect.

They are just different.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads