Standardization thoughts...

Nunya

First Post
Has there been any discussion between the different software developers regarding standardization for inter-app communication?

I've been playing with several apps lately (PCGen, RPM, etc) and would like to use them together. The problem is that it is difficult if not impossible to transfer information from one to the other. I think the best way to accomplish this would be to come up with a standard XML DTD that the apps could implement. Then one app could export to an XML file and other apps could import from the XML file. Granted, there will be some tough issues to resolve, but starting now will be easier than trying to retro-fit this functionality after the code is set in stone.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
I've been working on that same issue.

http://www.d20statblock.org/ (updated recently, BTW)

Jamis Buck promises to support this format in version 2 of his NPC generator (once he gets around to writing it ;)), and Luke Jones (RPM) intends to use the format eventually.

We've had some very basic talks about other compatability issues, like "hidden" tags and other things, but haven't made any real progress.

Other inter-generator support - Jamis Buck supports (in a limited way) exports to another version - PCGen, I think.

Nunya

First Post
Thanks for the reply Charles. That's a great start for a human readable format. Any discussion of how to move data indicating items, spells, etc. from one proggy to another? Basically what I'm wanting to do is enter new spells, items, feats, etc. in one place and then export/import into all other proggies.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
That's what the "invisible" tags were supposed to do. There was going to be a stat block (per SSBF format) with "tags" of some sort detailing non-standard information. For example, a monk with an amulet of mighty fists could have a typical stat block with a special tag explaining, in general terms, what to *do* with it in the stat block.

Suggestions are welcome, of course. :)

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
faqulan mitaadle said:
From what I can tell, there has been plenty of discussion on using XML for a standard. There's an XML D20 discussion groups at Yahoo! Groups.

There's certainly a lot of talk about that. Haven't there been one or two threads here about it?

Mynex

First Post
CRGreathouse said:

There's certainly a lot of talk about that. Haven't there been one or two threads here about it?

Well there are plans to convert PCGen to XML input/output, they are in the early stages right now, and working on a DTD even as we speak.

This is still a few months away at best, but it is high on the priority list.

There are also many people interested in making scripts/conversion utilities to input/ouput PCGen stuff...

Yea, okay, I'm harping for PCGen, but hey! I love the proggie. :D

I know there have been requests and some conversation about RPM and PCGen, but not sure offhand what, if anywhere they have gone... there are a lot of requests for RPM and PCGen to go both ways between the 2 apps.

As for the D20 XML group on yahoo... I check there every so often, they haven't been too active of late... not sure why/what's up with that...

But having inter-operability between apps would be a phenomenal thing for D20 gaming as a whole!

DMFTodd

DM's Familiar
"Exchange what data?" would be the first question.

For my program, DM's Familiar, importing characters/monsters would be the important feature. My thinking is that I will import a stat block in text format. Most programs that create characters are going to be able to create stat blocks (PCGen, MasterTools, etc.-- I assume). If I can import a stat block then my program will work with most of them. There's no need for a XML data layout when simple text will do the trick. I'll be following CR's Standard Stat Block layout once I get to it.

As for working with other programs, hadn't really considered it to much yet. Being able to link to a mapper program would be nice. It would be cool if I get Tablesmith to use my tables somehow (give me a random scroll based on the spells enterd in my program).

MythosaAkira

Explorer
DMFTodd said:

As for working with other programs, hadn't really considered it to much yet. Being able to link to a mapper program would be nice. It would be cool if I get Tablesmith to use my tables somehow (give me a random scroll based on the spells enterd in my program).

What format are the tables in? TableSmith does have a (limited) XML-reading capability. I've been thinking about putting in an XML-reading function that's a bit more powerful (like reading an XPath statement). Let me know what you're thinking about; I'll see what can be done in a future release (preferably something that can apply to a general standard as well).

DMFTodd

DM's Familiar
What format are the tables in? TableSmith does have a (limited) XML-reading capability

DM's Familiar has tables in Visual Foxpro format. Will Tablesmith be able to read that format any time soon? No? I don't blame you. :)

Actually, I think the Tablesmith format is very good - just a basic, straight-forward text file layout. It would be very easy for me to write a routine that converts my VFP data (spells, let's say) into a Tablesmith text file of available spells that could then be used to generate random scrolls or whatever. I will probably do that someday.

Would I would really like to see from the folks writing "utility" programs (Tablesmith, Weathermaster, Jamis Generators, etc.) would be a way to let other programs (the "server" programs like DM's Familiar, RPM, etc.) call your program and return results without any user interface.

For example, DM's Familiar has a place where you enter NPCs. It would be very cool to have a button on my NPC screen next to the name field that would call Tablesmith, tell it to generate a random result on the name table, and return that result to me so that I can put it on the NPC form. The user would never see Tablesmith in that process, they'd just be clicking my button. Initially, they'd use Tablesmith to build the name table and to modify the table, but that would be it.

I haven't dug into Tablesmith to much yet, I assume that it can't that. That's my idea for you, Bruce.

As for people wanting to interface *TO* DM's Familiar, I can't imagine what for so I haven't thought much about a standard exchange format. If someone has an idea of how they would want to interface to DMF, let me know.

Remove ads