Star Trek Prime Directive RPG

Water Bob

Adventurer
prime-directive.jpg

I've owned this game since it came out in 1993, and I've never had a chance to play it.

Too bad for me. I've been looking over it, and it's a damn fine RPG. It's a hell of a lot better game the newest Star Trek RPG that's hit the market.

The game's task system is impressive. It's generally referred to as the "tricode" system. Here's a quick overview. And, I'm talking about the original game. I believe the game was republished for GURPS and d20.

When you throw a task, you throw a number of D6 and compare against the task's tricode.

Let me explain...

H
ow many dice do you throw? You throw a number of D6 equal to your characteristic + skill. So, if you wanted to fire your phaser, you'd add your Accuracy-6 and Fire Phaser-6 skill together, getting 12/2 = 6. You'd throw 6D.

If throwing a task that is totally characteristic based, then you throw a number of D6 equal to your characteristic level.

If throwing a task that is totally skill based, then you throw a number of D6 equal to your skill level.

And, there are more than one way to throw a task--more than those three ways I've just shown. But, I'm keeping this simple.

Tricode: Each task has a tricode. A tricode looks like this: 2/4/6 or 4/8/12 or 1/3/5.

When you throw your dice, you look for the highest die thrown.

If you throw a 6, you can add 5 to that die and re-roll (some numbers higher than 6 are possible).

The tricode tells you your Success Level. Throwing the first number gives you a Minimal Success. Throwing the second number gives you a Moderate Success. Throwing the far right, last number gives you a Complete Success.

So...if we throw 6D and get: 5, 1, 3, 5, 1, 2. And...your tricode is: 2/4/6. Then, you have scored a Moderate Success (because no result was 6+).

I think it's a pretty freakin' cool system. One throw. Variable outcomes--not just pass/fail.

If your Phaser Pistol was set to the Lethal-1 setting, then you'd do 2 points of damage on a Minimal Hit, 4 points of damage on a Moderate Hit, and 6 points of damage on a Complete Hit.

One task roll revealing degree of success and no damage roll! I dig it! Quick!

Only One Die Result. When you throw on a tricode, you can add up some successes to get a higher success. For example, if you threw 6D and got: 5, 1, 3, 5, 1, 5 against a tricode of 2/4/6. This shows that you got three Moderate successes, and if you score 3 x Mod success, then it is considered that your result is actually a Complete Success.

As mentioned earlier, a 6 on a die result will explode. So, if you threw 6D and got 5, 1, 6, 5, 1, 2 against a tricode of 4/8/12, then you can take the 6, add 5 to it, making it 11. Then, you can re-roll the die and keep rerolling it as long as you throw 6's. You'd have to re-roll twice, and get real lucky, in order to hit that 12 for a Complete Success, though. The odds are way against you (unless your original roll featured multiple 6's).

Combat Round: It is played in 4 second turns. But, the game offers two options. First, there's a detailed combat system, and then there's a lite version of combat, depending on your mechanical tastes. The game fits those who like crunchy combat as well as heroic, quick combat.

A/I Test. Thiis is the Action/Initiative roll a character makes at the start of a combat round. It's a Speed task roll vs. a tricode of 4/6/8.

A Minimal Initiative will net the character a single Simple Action for the round, and he can only move 1 meter or less that round.

A Moderate Initiative will indicate that the character can take a Simple Action and move half is movement.

A Complete Initiative tells us that the character gets a Complex Action and full movement.

So, you can see how the tricode system is used for all aspects of the game. The skills have descriptions on how to use them with tricode results, and there is a section for the GM on how to create tricodes.

aramis erak

Legend
You left out the initiative, which reads all the dice for initiative score and the highest for what kind of actions you can take.

It's also missing ship combat.

Isn't this the game where, if you manage to survive a lethal wound, the GM is supposed to send you home to read twenty pages of the dictionary to simulate the time spent in the hospital?

Last edited:

Water Bob

Adventurer
You left out the initiative, which reads all the dice for initiative score and the highest for what kind of actions you can take.

Isn't that covered in the A/I test, there at the end of the post?

It's also missing ship combat.

Yeah, the game focuses on Prime Teams. I always assumed ship combat would be done with Star Fleet Battles, the players playing a single ship.

Water Bob

Adventurer
Isn't this the game where, if you manage to survive a lethal wound, the GM is supposed to send you home to read twenty pages of the dictionary to simulate the time spent in the hospital?

LOL! Hadn't read that yet!

Then again, I'm not super familiar with the game, either. I'm just skimming over the rules.

What I do like is the Character Reputation and Background system that it allows characters to “spontaneously” develop skills, abilities, and prior associations appropriate to the mission at hand. Both of these aspects provide a sense of Television Series verisimilitude that many find to be appropriate to the game’s Trek origins.

aramis erak

Legend

nope. it has excellent downtime rules. 3 full pages of medicine rules.

aramis erak

Legend
Yeah, the game focuses on Prime Teams. I always assumed ship combat would be done with Star Fleet Battles, the players playing a single ship.

Using SFB is quite unsatisfactory. Steve Cole doesn't understand that, either.

Isn't that covered in the A/I test, there at the end of the post?
Not quite.

On your A/I test, each die hitting complete is 3 points of initiative, each hitting Moderate is 2, each hitting Minimal is 1, each fail is 0; every die in the pool (not counting rerolls which are "part of" the die they rerolled from) generates Initiative.

I've seen some weird but fun situations...
SGM got minimal 7
Lt got Full 3
JPO got moderate 4.

Also note that there are rules in one of the expansions for crits and, and you missed fumbles.
Half the minimal or less is a botch
Double the top is a crit. Critical action level adds an additional simple, and it's worth 3 Initiative.

You might want to carefully reread the action system; you've oversimplified.

• Crit
    2 simple actions and full move
    1 simple action and double move
  • full
    2 simple actions and 1/2 move
    1 simple action and full move
    0 actions and double move
  • Moderate. –1 to defense rolls
    1 simple and 1/2 move
    0 action and full move
  • Minimal –2 defense rolls
    Simple and 1m move
    no action and 1/2 move
  • Fail –4 Defense
  • Botch: no defense rolls

Last edited:

nope. it has excellent downtime rules. 3 full pages of medicine rules.
Prime Directive said:
For total realism, instruct any player who had to use this rule that he cannot go out for pizza with the rest of the group, but must go home and read twenty pages of a dictionary, starting with a randomly determined letter. That should simulate the time spent recouping in the hospital rather nicely.
I mean, I heard it second-hand, but they claimed to be quoting the book directly in their review. Are you saying that's not the case?

Remove ads