Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Ryujin

Legend
You realize that Roddenberry's idealism was not independent from the contemporary social-cultural ideas of his time?

Trek, has social commentary as part of its lifeblood. You want it to be focused on ideas from 50 years ago instead?

Yes, Star Trek has traditionally been about social commentary. it has, however, been via the lens of an advanced and equanimical culture. It has provided example, rather than counter-example, through the Federation. I have least (or not) enjoyed it when they forget that model.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I have least (or not) enjoyed it when they forget that model.

I don't think they have ever forgotten that model. They have, at times, questioned, critiqued, and given contrast to that model.

And, with good reason. That model is the "upper-middle-class model". It is the model of speaking about others from a position of relative wealth, peace, and comfort, which often isn't a great look.

Janx

Hero
Trek Edition War!!1! :p

I'm going to guess this is like... most superhero franchises. You periodically see a story in which the hero's powers are removed or weakened, so you can see what kind of person lies beneath. Is Clark Kent still Superman when he can't fly or lift mountains, and isn't bulletproof? Are the Federation and Starfleet really that awesome when they aren't the 800-lb gorilla?

I think it is a valuable question to ask, and a worthy story to tell.
How do you pick yourself up after a fall? Somebody has to remind us what it is to stand for something.

That's season 3 of Discovery. Seems like a timely subject to me.

Mercurius

Legend
You realize that Roddenberry's idealism was not independent from the contemporary social-cultural ideas of his time?

Trek, has social commentary as part of its lifeblood. You want it to be focused on ideas from 50 years ago instead?

That's not what I'm saying. As Ryujin said, Trek has always depicted a future in which current social problems have (largely) been transcended. Now of course science fiction is usually about the present projected into the future, but I think the charm of Trek has been how it comments on the present, by depicting a more evolved alternative.

Ryujin

Legend
I don't think they have ever forgotten that model. They have, at times, questioned, critiqued, and given contrast to that model.

And, with good reason. That model is the "upper-middle-class model". It is the model of speaking about others from a position of relative wealth, peace, and comfort, which often isn't a great look.

I disagree. When your entire society is effectively upper middle class, it's a great look.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

I think the idea is an optimistic future which depicts a society where poverty and (internal) conflict has been eradicated. All our problems are external to our society.

(It doesn't always portray that consistently, but that's what Roddenberry was aiming at).

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I missed Star Trek Day, have these videos been put anywhere that isn't geo-locked?

I'm stoked for Strange New Worlds, thought the other Enterprise crew was solid.
You're not able to view the videos? That's a shame. 🙁 I don't know of another place to view them. Perhaps using TOR might help?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases