Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

I'm pretty excited for this. So far it looks to be aiming for a blend of TOR and TNG, which no doubt will make a lot of fans happy. I was never a fan of the Star Treks that came after TNG. DS9 was alright, but a blatant Babylon 5 rip off, and it was missing that spark of hope and optimism that the older shows always had.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
How is DS9 not the Federation?

Bajor isn't a member of the Federation - they are merely allies. Neither are the Cardassians or Ferengi. So, like half the cast are not Federation citizens.

Heck, the station itself isn't actually owned by the Federation - the Bajorans ask the Federation to come in and help administer it, but it is technically Bajoran territory, iirc.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I think the idea is an optimistic future which depicts a society where poverty and (internal) conflict has been eradicated. All our problems are external to our society.

(It doesn't always portray that consistently, but that's what Roddenberry was aiming at).

Yes. And as we have learned since Roddenberry's day, looking at the issues of the world strictly from a position of wealth, power, and relative safety (dare I say, privilege) has its problems.

For me, that takes it so far away from the setting I identify as Star Trek that it's not really Star Trek to me any more. For me personally, the optimistic setting, the Federation, Starfleet are Star Trek.
Well, hopefully that plot arc ends with that entire series of events being stricken from the timeline.

It's just hard to accept that after they established there is literally a Temporal Cold War in the future about fighting for things like preserving the Federation, and that by the 29th century Starfleet operates a fleet of Timeships that patrols the timeline looking for threats, that anything so sweeping as the fall of the Federation could plausibly happen. . .and if it did, it would take a 23rd century ship and crew to undo it.

Dire Bare

Legend
I missed Star Trek Day, have these videos been put anywhere that isn't geo-locked?

I'm stoked for Strange New Worlds, thought the other Enterprise crew was solid.

Not sure about being geo-locked, but . . . .

You can find them on CBS All Access, the app, the website, and the YouTube channel.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It's just hard to accept that after they established there is literally a Temporal Cold War...

So, the Temporal Cold War was a closed causal loop. Vosk jumps back in time to 1944, and works with Nazi Germany to create a new temporal portal to get back to his own time. This sets off an temporal arms race, leading to the Temporal Cold War. At the height of that conflict, in an emergency in the future, Vosk jumped back in time to 1944...

Except, Captain Archer stops that jump. Vosk didn't go to 1944. He doesn't work with Nazis, there is no temporal arms race, and no Temporal Cold War. Archer's intervention probably means that those powers in the Temporal Cold War... never developed, and do not exist in the timeline of ST: Disco.

This still leaves the some Federation timeships unaccounted for - like the Aeon-type and the Wells-class USS Relativity, seen in ST: Voyager. But they are from the 29th century, and ST: Disco season 3 takes place in the 32nd century. They have hundreds of years in which to work out the fall of the Federation.

MarkB

Legend
Well, hopefully that plot arc ends with that entire series of events being stricken from the timeline.
I really hope not. The idea of a timeline being so bleak, so utterly doomed, that the people who grew up in it are willing to essentially work towards the erasure of themselves and everyone they've ever known in order to 'correct' it, has never sat well with me. It maybe works for the length of a movie, or a two-parter episode, but I don't want to spend an entire season in a setting that grim.

And if it's anything less than unremittingly bleak, if there isn't some universe-ending threat that needs to be prevented from existing, if there are worlds out there where people are living happy lives, then nobody has the right to undo that timeline simply because their own tiny corner of one little galaxy didn't turn out as cushy as they were hoping it would.

Remove ads