Star Wars DVD announced

Krug

Newshound
From dvdtalk.com

Lucasfilm and Twentieth Century Fox have announced the DVD Release for Star Wars Trilogy DVD on September 21st. This special 4 disc box set will include the three 'original' Star Wars movies (Star Wars IV: A New Hope, Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars VI: Return of the Jedi) presented in THX Anamorphic Widescreen and Dolby Digital-EX. Each film will be released in the 'Special Edition' version (including the changes made to the films for their theatrical re-release in 1997) and feature audio commentary by George Lucas and select members of the cast and crew. In addition to the three features the box set will also feature a fourth disc including making-of documentaries and features for the 3 films as well as a 2 hour documentary including never-before-seen footage. There will NOT be an option to view the films in their original theatrical version and the films will not be sold individually. Exact pricing for the set, specific disc extras and an official pre-order date to be announced in the weeks ahead.

Ranger REG

Explorer
While I'm glad, I'm kinda spoiled by LOTR 2-disc set for each film.

I hope they digitize the films and restore the picture quality, even if they have to clean up each frame. Of course, they must have already done that before they added new scenes for the Special Editon.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
Too bad they're not giving us the original versions via seamless branching technology. I know A LOT of people who prefer to see Han Solo shoot first (but then you'd lose all the pretty new CGI effects).

JediSoth

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Sweet! While the 4 disc LOTR sets are nice, I've skimmed through the extra discs a bit but they aren't really that vital. No need for 2 CD's of extras with the original Star Wars trilogy, just extra crap to drive the price up. I'm psyched! Widescreen Star Wars!!!!!!

Kai Lord

Hero
http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-video/archive/2004/02_10.html

So what are the faithful to do if they don't want to watch the altered 1997 editions of the trilogy? Either give in, or don't buy. "We realize there's a lot of debate out there," says Ward. "But this is not a democracy. We love our fans, but this is about art and filmmaking. [George] has decided that the sole version he wants available is this one."
"This is about art and filmmaking." Oh the irony... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

mojo1701

First Post
/me is salivating...

Lucas isn't gonna mess with us and later release (after Ep. III comes out) Ep. I-VI in an even more special box set, is he?

'Cause, I don't wanna be messed with.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Someone will probably go through and re-cut the new versions to make them as close to the originals as possible. Someone with editing skills, a large hard drive and access to a good editing program, like Adobe Premiere Pro.

Hey, wait, I've got all that...

Bass Puppet

First Post
Anybody know what the price is going to be?

If it's more than $50, then I'll stick with my ORIGINAL versions on VHS for a couple of more years.

Remove ads