Star Wars DVD announced

Trainz

Explorer
Oh man... I have VCR's of the trilogy with the edits... while I agree there's some cool stuff, the music video in Jabba's palace is the worst thing I ever saw.

Even worse than Jar-Jar.

There. I said it.

Corinth said:
He gets my money.

It ain't worth having on DVD without the extras.
Agreed.

I don't mind the Special Editions. I guess I can respect that Lucas just couldn't really make the movies he wanted back in the 70s...in the end, its STILL the great movies I grew up loving. I won't let petty things change good memories. :)

mojo1701

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Agreed.

I don't mind the Special Editions. I guess I can respect that Lucas just couldn't really make the movies he wanted back in the 70s...

I don't think anyone made movies the way they wanted to in the 70s...

Kai Lord

Hero
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Agreed.

I don't mind the Special Editions. I guess I can respect that Lucas just couldn't really make the movies he wanted back in the 70s...
What prevented Lucas from having Greedo shoot first in the 70's? What prevented Lucas from having Luke scream while defiantly letting go and falling off the gantry in The Empire Strikes Back? You're free to love or ignore each and every addition of the revised films, but many scenes are indeed revised from the original intent, make no mistake.

Films not only serve as art but as time capsules of a culture. To hide or destroy such seminal works is a great loss to the medium.

John Crichton

First Post
Kai Lord said:
Films not only serve as art but as time capsules of a culture. To hide or destroy such seminal works is a great loss to the medium.
This, I totally agree with. Well, the destroy part anyway.

I still contend that somewhere down the line, the originals will be made available. Me? I plan on getting a laserdisc player and the original trilogy. It'll cost me but it is worth it. Am I pissed that we are only getting the SE this time around? A little, but not enough to make a fuss. I like many of the changes and hate others. I want both editions. I'll just have to wait a bit longer for one of them.

It'll probably take Lucas dying and someone getting a hold of the rights to put them on more current media but it'll happen. That and bootlegs. If someone wants to see the OT, they can. It's not that hard (heck, I have a barely watched VHS widescreen version right here). I don't blame Lucas for doing what he wants to do. I just hope he can swollow the bullet and someday release the originals.

John Crichton

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Certainly you are not hoping that he is dying, are you?
LOL! Lord, no! It's just that things tend to happen after the original owner/creator of a property passes. The LotR movies for example would have never happened had Tolkien still been alive. It's just a natural progression.

I am actually very interested at what Lucas has coming after Star Wars. Some will disagree but he is still making movie magic. I want to see more. :)

storyguide3

First Post
John Crichton said:
It'll probably take Lucas dying and someone getting a hold of the rights to put them on more current media but it'll happen.

Sadly, I fear that GL's last will includes orders to destroy all remaining copies of the original versions. His disrepect for history knows no bounds. I don't care if he revises the films till he has Jar Jar destory the Death Star in A New Hope. It's his desire to eliminate the movie that I watched as a child, that became part of the cultural fabric back in '77, that's what I despise about the man.

Remove ads