• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star Wars DVD announced

Welverin

First Post
Bass Puppet said:
I work in an Fine Art Gallery, I work with Artists and original works by Artists who are no longer alive (Picasso, Chagall, Miro, etc.) and I can't imagine any artist in this medium who would go back and "Touch Up" a masterpiece that they once created after it has sold in a major Auction house for Millions of Dollars.

Didn't some of them use the same canvas multiple times, thus painting over what could have eventually been considered masterpieces themselves?

Of course I agree with John and feel that eventually all the whiny fans will get to George and the original versions will be released, and I'll be glad when it does.

Krieg

First Post
fett527 said:
It doesn't matter. I love Star Wars. One of the biggest reasons I want the DVDs is for the SOUNDS!!! I disagree with people that will be ok with VHS or DVDs with no THX/Dolby. I want the SOUND!!! The music, the blasters, the TIE fighters, lightsabers. I want those sounds in all their glory!

FWIW theatrical release versions of the original trilogy were released on laserdisc featuring remastered THX soundtracks & digitally remastered video.

Last edited:

Wrath of the Swarm

Banned
Banned
The early exposure to the bounty hunter wrecks the moments in the later film where he is seen. In the original movies, we don't know his significance, but we know we should watch him. Now we know too much.

The changes aren't so large, but virtually every change detracts from the scene it's in. The one and only change I liked was the inclusion of Luke's friend when they're preparing to attack the Death Star. Everything else was like oversharpening a knife until it becomes dull.

Bass Puppet

First Post
Welverin said:
Didn't some of them use the same canvas multiple times, thus painting over what could have eventually been considered masterpieces themselves?

Yes, Chagall and Miro did several times, but never sold it for millions of dollars and then went back to "Touched it Up".

Bass Puppet said:
Yes, Chagall and Miro did several times, but never sold it for millions of dollars and then went back to "Touched it Up".
But with movies, they aren't ever really GONE, so they CAN still be touched up. I don't have a problem with Lucas 'fixing' things, because in the end, Star Wars is HIS, and the only person he really has to please with it is himself.

Welverin

First Post
Bass Puppet said:

Yeah, but a lot of the classic artists didn't get the appreciation they do today when they were alive.

Bass Puppet

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
But with movies, they aren't ever really GONE, so they CAN still be touched up. I don't have a problem with Lucas 'fixing' things, because in the end, Star Wars is HIS, and the only person he really has to please with it is himself.

What is there no 17th Century Rembrandts at the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam, Netherlands? Nothing from the 18th Century at The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York or da Vinci at the Le Louvre in Paris? Heck, I've got Pre-Colubian Sculptures in my Gallery right now....

Your absolutely right that Lucas owns Star Wars, and because of the mind set to do what ever he wants with it (and what he has done with that mind set AFTER the success of Star Wars), is the reason so many people dislike him.

Welverin said:
Yeah, but a lot of the classic artists didn't get the appreciation they do today when they were alive..

True, nor would they have received any more appreciation if they "Fixed" their works, Alive or Dead.

Last edited:

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Kai Lord said:
Carrie Fisher recently reported that she'll be contributing to the commentaries on the SW:SE DVD's. Awesome! With that news its probably safe to assume that Mark Hamill will be involved as well.

http://www.theforce.net/holonet/index.shtml#23249
Yeah, now if only they could get crumudgeonly Harrison Ford to admit that he played some small role in the Star Wars movies. The way he talks, his film career started with American Grafiti and then skips straight to Witness.

Dark Jezter

First Post
Whisperfoot said:
Yeah, now if only they could get crumudgeonly Harrison Ford to admit that he played some small role in the Star Wars movies. The way he talks, his film career started with American Grafiti and then skips straight to Witness.

That's nothing. Alec Guiness stated repeatedly that he wished that he'd never accepted the role of Obi-Wan Kenobi. He claimed that killing off Obi-Wan Kenobi was his idea so that he could keep his involvment with the films to a minimum. In addition, he once said that he threw away all Star Wars fan mail he recieved without even opening it, and also had a reputation of yelling at Star Wars fans who wanted autographs or asked him questions about his role in the movies.

Last edited:

Remove ads