• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star Wars DVD

ESB is definitely my favorite of the five movies thus far. The Battle for Hoth, asteroid field, Yoda training, the desperate feeling that the good guys might lose, the feeling of relief at the end, the anxious waiting for three years to find out if (1) Han Solo would survive, and (2) if Vader really was Luke's father.

I've heard that for the DVD they changed the Emperor's lines in ESB so that you learn that Vader really is Luke's father well before the confrontation in Cloud City. True/not true?

If true, I might skip the DVDs and just get my theatrical release VHS converted to DVD. Changing the Greedo/Han scene was a sin; I'd rather Lucas not mess with other dramatic scenes.

Olgar Shiverstone said:
I've heard that for the DVD they changed the Emperor's lines in ESB so that you learn that Vader really is Luke's father well before the confrontation in Cloud City. True/not true?
I haven't gotten around to watching the movies yet, but this can't possibly be true, can it? I mean, that's one of the greatest reveals in movie history! I'll forgive Lucas a lot, but if he changed something like that then I might have to make a little trip out to Marin County with some orderlies...

driver8

First Post
Not sure I watched it yesterday,
and he refers to Luke as Anakin Skywalkers son- says he can not eb allowed to become a Jedi, and then Vader puts for th the plan to turn him

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I picked up the DVDs today (hey, I've got 2 kids and my old tapes are starting to show their wear). I watched Star Wars and, having just watched the old classic version a little while ago, I think there might be some noticeable pacing differences during the attack on the Death Star that do not favor the updated version. I'll have to try playing them in parallel with a second television to be sure.
And Greedo's shot in the canteena? Lame. Totally lame. I liked it much better when you weren't sure what was going on. I had always just assumed that Han shot Greedo under the table to prevent Greedo from getting a shot off and that maybe, maybe Greedo's blaster happened to discharge as well. Greedo actually hitting the wall with his blaster shot was really cheesy.
I'll have to watch the rest of it over the next couple of days. I'll be happy to have DVDs when my youngest goes through his phase of having to watch things over and over again (Yay for no rewinding!), but I can't help but feel disappointed in the declining quality of the movies in almost everything except special effects since their original releases. I'm not very satisfied with the sound mix, the additional clutter on the streets of Mos Eisley disrupting the central focus of the action, the changes in pacing of some stretches of the movies, the peripheral stuff around the story that helps to fill-out a movie-watching experience.

driver8 said:
Not sure I watched it yesterday,
and he refers to Luke as Anakin Skywalkers son- says he can not eb allowed to become a Jedi, and then Vader puts for th the plan to turn him
Oh, that was always in there (I think).

KenM

Banned
Banned
I have not watched the ESB DVD yet. But I know there was a line with Vader and Emperor in the older versons:
Emperor: The son of Skywalker must not survive.
Vader: If he could be turned, he could be a powerful ally.

Sakzilla

Explorer
The Emporer has a totally different look (like Palpatine) and the dialogue goes on a lot longer. They talk about the new disterbance in the Force as being the son of Anakin Skywalker. They never say it is Darth Vader's kid. But theoretically, you will have seen Ep III before Ep V once it is all done, and unless we really get cheated on the whole Brat-to-DV conversion, we'll already know this.

I don't know how else they could have done this. I did notice Vader's shoulders slump a bit, thinking "Another paternity suit? Man I gotta get out of some of this child support!"

Last edited:

Arnwyn

First Post
The DVDs are pretty decent, with some problems that others mentioned.

But, no DTS-ES sound... :( (DD 5.1 EX is good, but it's no DTS-ES.)

ToddSchumacher

I like to draw!
I agree with this.

pvp20040921.gif

Remove ads