• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star Wars DVD

Dark Psion

First Post
Got my DVDs today and have just finished watching them back to back.

The visuals, especially on Star Wars, are very good. They really cleaned up that one. But the sound is another issue. It appears that when they remixed it, they subdued the music and raised up the FX. As the X-wings dove down to the Death Star, you could barely hear the trumpet fanfare over the engines.

The new special scenes are OK, but one problem with these scenes is that they make the unspecial scenes really stand out. In the dogfight as they escape the Death Star, the matte lines are very noticable, partially because you don't see them in any of the CGI scenes.

The Greedo shooting first scene is cleaned up a bit, as they fire almost simultaneously. But the lack of a reaction by Han Solo still makes it look bad.

Oh, and remember the Stormtrooper that hits his head? There is a sound effect to go with that now.

The only new scene in Empire that stood out was as Vader returns to his ship at the end, it appeared that they redid the landing bay.

In Jedi, the Rancor scene looks so much better and they added a Naboo scene at the end, but I can't help but notice how "muppety" most of the aliens look in this movie. It's a pity they didn't use CGI to fix them. Well, we can save that for the next extra special, super duper, bonus mega DVD edition.

Dark Jezter

First Post
I've been watching the Star Wars DVDs all evening, and I couldn't be happier with them. I felt all warm & fuzzy inside when I saw how clear and crisp the video quality is, and the sound quality is great as well.

I'll definately be watching them some more over the rest of the week, although I might take breaks for the season premiere of CSI and the series finale of CSI New York.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Hmmmm...oh well, that is George for ya.

On the soundtrack remix, that was done on purpose, no glitch, caught an article on that somewhere earlier today, the speaker express that it was done to see if people were just watching the film, and not listening to the background sound as well. (I honestly have no IDEA why they did that)

And speaking of soundtracks, they also redid, the entire ablums of the music, so I was told by someone at work, who bought their's at the midnight hour...$$$...ah, again, you have to love George...:p

Just finishing up RotJ now...ahh, these are wonderful to see again, and they look and sound AMAZINGLY good. Commentaries are nice, too. :)

And just remember everyone: The Wookie has no pants.

Krieg

First Post
I'll just sit here and watch my theatrical realease versions on LD thank you very much. *hmph*

*muttering incoherently to self*

Pants

First Post
Dark Psion said:
In Jedi, the Rancor scene looks so much better and they added a Naboo scene at the end, but I can't help but notice how "muppety" most of the aliens look in this movie. It's a pity they didn't use CGI to fix them. Well, we can save that for the next extra special, super duper, bonus mega DVD edition.
Am I the only one who prefers the muppets over the CGI?

Anyways, I bought the DVD's today and while I haven't had time to watch ANY of them yet, I will do so tomorrow. I did watch the entire Hoth battle though and man, I feel like a little kid again. :)

It has been so long since I've watched ESB and RotJ, mostly because my VHS copies were missing the first 20 minutes of both movies AND they were in bad condition.

So far... I'm very happy I purchased them.

driver8

First Post
Pants said:
Am I the only one who prefers the muppets over the CGI?

Anyways, I bought the DVD's today and while I haven't had time to watch ANY of them yet, I will do so tomorrow. I did watch the entire Hoth battle though and man, I feel like a little kid again. :)

It has been so long since I've watched ESB and RotJ, mostly because my VHS copies were missing the first 20 minutes of both movies AND they were in bad condition.

So far... I'm very happy I purchased them.

Nope I like the muppets too. Even today the work done by Frank Oz and co are still amazing for the depth of potrayal they convey. At least GL seems to respect that.

Im pleased too, I gotta say. Im by no means a Sw fanboy but I havent seen the trilogy for years except for Ep IV on TV. The minor changes are to me well minor, and Im getting off the GL bashing wagon as of now. I even liked the sheepish look Anakin's force ghost gave-Im not a prequel fan, but it seemed to fit completely with the (good) Anakin's character somehow.

(ok slight hijack)To me the prequels are unecessary, and almost since we know how the story will turn out are doomed to disappoint fans. Its almost a no win situation. But for me with this new digital cleaned up version of the Original Trilogy, I forgive. (end hijack)

One question though: I never saw Jedi SE. Was the end Ewok celebration music changed for it or for ths version? Myself I like it sooo much better.

While we're on the subject... do you guys regard the two prequels as really bad movies? Or only bad in comparison with the original trilogy? They always struck me as visually stunning movies that suffered from lackluster acting and poor scripting (although the story plots are pretty good). I certainly agree that they don't stack up to the originals, but I never thought they were godawful "Plan Nine from Outer Space" bad. How do you think they would have fared if Lucas had been given the authority to film the whole thing in chronological order and Episode 1 was the first one released?

Ranger REG

Explorer
Picked it up today ($40 at CompUSA). I just finished watching the documentary DVD. Many of the features are decent including the main documentary (Empire of Dreams) but I wish they added more outtakes and blooper clips.

I may have to recheck my connection but for some reasons, the closed caption isn't in-sync with the vocal dialogue. Sometimes my TV's built-in decoder couldn't translate the dialogue (you get those funny characters). Fortunately, the movie DVDs offer English subtitle option.

Let you know the rest.

Psychotic Dreamer

First Post
I watched them through today and am quite happy with them. I had no problems with the audio or any of the alterations. I also enjoy the prequels a great deal. I loved the Empire of Dreams documentary. When I started watching it I didn't realize it was nearly 2 and a half hours long. I also enjoyed watching all the trailers and TV spots. All in all I must say this was a great investment and will be getting a lot of watching.

Back when I used to have a reliable VCR and consider VHS to be the height of video quality I watched all three movies each weekend. After I switched everything over to DVD I just couldn't deal with watching the VHS's. It had nothing to do with the quality of the video or anything, but just hated having to fast forward and such. So for a long time I haven't watched the movies. It was very nice to get back into watching them. While I doubt I will return to watching them everyweek, I do know I will watch them more frequently. Now I just have to wait for Episode III to come out and be on DVD. Then I can sit down and do a marathon and watch them all. That'll be nice.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads