Star Wars IX: The Rise of Skywalker Trailer

GreyLord

Legend
Padme is a crap character as well along with Episode I and II Anakin, at least Episode III was kinder to Anakin.

I give Christiansen, Jake Loyd, and Natalie a pass though the problem is Lucas. The actor who play Rose Tico also gets a pass from me. None of them (except maybe Natalie) will win a best actor award anytime soon but they're not bad actors as such.

You know, I suppose I may be in the minority but I actually LIKE the Rose character. I think people complain about her character FAR TOO MUCH.

I think the character itself was just fine. People may not like some of the branches of story, but the character itself, I don't see the problem with her. I also think the actor did fine with what she was given.

My own take on that specific character.

Zardnaar

Legend
Basically the same as me. I'm indifferent to her the plotline sucked but not her fault. Problem is I'm now indifferent to all of the characters, villain, hero, whatever it's all a big meh. Nothing in the other movies matters, and all the characters are dumb and dumber.

Where did all the aliens go as well? Jar Jar is annoying but at least it's kind fun to dislike him.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Basically the same as me. I'm indifferent to her the plotline sucked but not her fault. Problem is I'm now indifferent to all of the characters, villain, hero, whatever it's all a big meh. Nothing in the other movies matters, and all the characters are dumb and dumber.

Where did all the aliens go as well? Jar Jar is annoying but at least it's kind fun to dislike him.

I think perhaps you're expecting a bit too much from Star Wars. Notice how all the characters you're okay with were ones introduced to you when you were a child, and all the ones you've been introduced to as an adult are "crap characters" about whom you're "indifferent".

Is there really all that much different about the old characters and the new and how they're portrayed in the films? Were Luke and Han and Leia really given a whole lot of depth in the first three films? Not really.....they were archetypical characters with little more to them. The farm boy with a meaningful destiny, the plucky princess, and the scoundrel.

This touches on the originality point that came up. Star Wars is not trying to be original. It is intentionally leaning on tropes and classic mono-mythic elements. Wizards and heroes and evil lords and so on. Now, for many of us, we're introduced to Star Wars early enough that all these ideas seem original, and it's only later on we found out how much Lucas is drawing from older material. So once we learn that, I think if our expectations for the films doesn't change at all, then we're likely not going to enjoy them as much.

Maybe you're just done with Star Wars?

Zardnaar

Legend
I think perhaps you're expecting a bit too much from Star Wars. Notice how all the characters you're okay with were ones introduced to you when you were a child, and all the ones you've been introduced to as an adult are "crap characters" about whom you're "indifferent".

Is there really all that much different about the old characters and the new and how they're portrayed in the films? Were Luke and Han and Leia really given a whole lot of depth in the first three films? Not really.....they were archetypical characters with little more to them. The farm boy with a meaningful destiny, the plucky princess, and the scoundrel.

This touches on the originality point that came up. Star Wars is not trying to be original. It is intentionally leaning on tropes and classic mono-mythic elements. Wizards and heroes and evil lords and so on. Now, for many of us, we're introduced to Star Wars early enough that all these ideas seem original, and it's only later on we found out how much Lucas is drawing from older material. So once we learn that, I think if our expectations for the films doesn't change at all, then we're likely not going to enjoy them as much.

Maybe you're just done with Star Wars?

I liked the new characters in the cartoons. Well Zeb, Hera, Sabine as heros and The Grand Inquisitor, Thrawn and 7th Sister made good villains.

Mercurius

Legend
?? You're arguing Star Wars physics (of wich there are none), on a website dedicated to a game about elves & dwarves & s** where dragons flying is a thing....

Actually, I'm not - I'm doing the exact opposite, pointing out that Star Wars is fantasy and only needs to make sense within the context of its own world.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I heard an interesting theory.

"The Rise of Skywalker" refers not to the person of Luke Skywalker, but to a cult/religious order that forms when the Resistance transmits to the universe all that Luke Skywalker, the Last of the Jedi, did to defeat the Empire.

Everybody has that theory.

Zardnaar

Legend
I heard an interesting theory.

"The Rise of Skywalker" refers not to the person of Luke Skywalker, but to a cult/religious order that forms when the Resistance transmits to the universe all that Luke Skywalker, the Last of the Jedi, did to defeat the Empire.

Before the release of the title, it was rumoured to be "The Wills of the Force". An order that believed in the Neutrality of the Force, where the Jedi and the Sith used the most extreme/polar opposite views. (Currently Legends material.)

Might not be a bad idea unless the Skywalkers replace the Jedi. Not a fan of that idea. Once this trilogy is done I want less Skywalkers and the Jedi to still be around. Put simply new force tradition called Skywalkers eh ok whatever its OK, Skywalkers replacing the Jedi sigh makes RoTJ pointless.

Might not be a bad idea unless the Skywalkers replace the Jedi. Not a fan of that idea. Once this trilogy is done I want less Skywalkers and the Jedi to still be around. Put simply new force tradition called Skywalkers eh ok whatever its OK, Skywalkers replacing the Jedi sigh makes RoTJ pointless.
I like the idea of something else taking over. RotJ was neat, and them returning was cool when they were this mythical unknown. But the prequels really showed the flaws of the Jedi Order. Their failures led to the rise of the empire and the deaths of untold trillions.

Luke just going out and reforming the Jedi feels like repeating a mistake. Like the son of Mordred refounding the Knights of the Round Table.

I would actually be impressed by Abrams if he goes the route of a new order of Force Users that breaks the cycle of the Sith and Jedi. That changes the dynamic of the galaxy. That would be hella new and invigorating for the franchise, as even the EU was bound to the idea of Sith vs Jedi, which was made all the more pointless as the struggle had lasted 100,000 years.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases