Star Wars IX: The Rise of Skywalker Trailer

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
The way that the sequel trilogy takes it, I think is that the idea is that there is balance between force users.

Annakin, in that way, really did finally bring balance to the force, as long as you don't look at all the extraneous material found in anything but the movies themselves.

When he did the Jedi Purge and it was Him and the Emperor on the Dark Side and Yoda and Obi-Wan on the light side. When Luke first comes to knowledge of the Force, Obi-Wan dies.

For that while, the Force is balanced between light and dark in the new ST way of seeing things.

It is explained in TLJ thus, that when one side rises, the other raises someone else to match it. Thus, the idea probably is that Snoke came into being because Luke was there, and since the Force had finally been balanced, Luke being Lightside needed a Dark Side user to balance it out. Thus, Kylo's balance would be Rey.

The idea Luke expressed in TLJ would be then, that as long as there are those on the one side of the Force, now that it is balanced, there will always be those on the other side. His idea is that if the Jedi were to end, so would the Dark side force users.

That probably doesn't work really with what Lucas envisioned or his other material (as seen in the Clone wars and definitely what is seen in Rebels, but works with the movie continuity and seems to be what Snoke explains in TLJ). Lucas (who has changed his mind several times as he said one thing in the past and then something different later on in various interviews) seems to have originally based the Force off a similar idea as Buddhism's relationship with Zen. It is the idea of balance within the individual, with unbalance being excessively giving into emotion or one side of cravings or other things. Thus, the idea that the force itself is balanced, but the Dark side is an unbalanced force. To balance it would be to do away with the Dark side (as Vader eventually did).

BUT, under Disney I think their interpretation is more akin to the idea of balance being between the light and the dark. Each needing the other in order to exist. It's more of a Yin/Yang than a middle road type idea. Thus, if only one side has a Force user, then the force will make another arise on the other side now that it is balanced.

I think that's how TLJ explains it and that's sort of the explanation also of how Snoke actually exists now.

It is an interesting thought, but Luke had shut himself off from the Force according to the movie. Wouldn't that tip the scales to the Dark then? Or is a Force user who shuts themselves off from the force still able to effect any balance there?

GreyLord

Legend
It is an interesting thought, but Luke had shut himself off from the Force according to the movie. Wouldn't that tip the scales to the Dark then? Or is a Force user who shuts themselves off from the force still able to effect any balance there?

The movie wasn't really clear about it, but in Snoke's Throneroom he talks about balance.

He states basically that as darkness rises, light rises up to meet it. In addition, he talks that as his apprentice grows in power, his equal on the light side would also grow.

Snoke came into existence probably when Luke Skywalker already was around. Even if Luke cuts himself off from the Force, Snoke already was around. Snoke thus is the master. However, as Luke had several apprentices, Snoke did not, but it balanced itself out in that he was able to turn some weak apprentices. As they grew in power, especially Kylo, one would need to rise to balance out that equation. This would be Rey and their equality in ability is shown in the Throne room as they battle over the lightsaber. They are equals in the force at that point and thus, the lightsaber is split.

[MENTION=4348]GreyLord[/MENTION]: Following that line of thinking, since Kylo killed Snoke, Luke had to sacrifice himself to maintain the balance?

I think that is correct...or the Force has a way to maintain it through Lukes sacrifice. Even if Luke does not realize it, he is being guided by the Force in this.

This probably also is an indication about what Luke was talking about in TLJ. This is that if there is to be balance they cannot be on the side of light or dark, but in the middle. Someone who can use emotion and have it influence them, but not necessarily that of fear, anger and hatred. They could use it like Luke did in Return of the Jedi with love, compassion, and hope. What will these new Jedi be called?

If they could be balanced between light and dark they would be neither Jedi, Sith, or even light side user or Dark side users. They'd be something new.

In the next movie, if the Knights of Ren are in it (and the poster indicates they are) by necessity something would need to balance it out, such as one of them joining Rey, Rey becoming even more powerful than all of them, or another light side user rising up. I'm thinking one of them may turn and join the light side, or all but one will be killed off.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I seem to recall that George Lucas has mentioned in interviews that he never saw the Force as being a balance between light and dark - the""light side" of the Force was never mentioned in either the original trilogy or the prequels.

Instead, there was "the Force" and "the dark side of the Force". When the prophecy of the Chosen One talks about bringing balance to the Force, it doesn't mean a balance between light and dark - it means removing the unbalancing influence of the Dark Side to leave only the Force.
Exactly. If TRS shows us that the new canon is that “balance” means a dualistic balance between light and dark, that’s fine. I won’t be particularly interested in the franchise going forward, but I can just enjoy the old stuff and ignore Disney SW as advanced fanfic.

Aye! I want a Star Wars where after Han Solo says "Light, dark, I'm the guy the with the blaster" he still joins the good guys.

Yep. The good guys are good, and defeating the evil emperor brings balance to the force. That’s Star Wars.

pukunui

Legend
In the next movie, if the Knights of Ren are in it (and the poster indicates they are) by necessity something would need to balance it out, such as one of them joining Rey, Rey becoming even more powerful than all of them, or another light side user rising up. I'm thinking one of them may turn and join the light side, or all but one will be killed off.
As I mentioned upthread, I think that guy that Kylo is seen taking down with his lightsaber in the red-tinged forest in the teaser trailer is one of the Knights of Ren.

GreyLord

Legend
So, new rumors have come up (and they are just that...rumors) which are fueling some speculation. Rumor that I heard in Italics, my thoughts and hypothesizing on it not in italics.
The idea is that Palpatine somehow extended his life by having his spirit/soul or whatever it is to be able to leap between bodies. Thus, Snoke was actually a possessed creature that was Palpatine?

This could make sense if you look at Return of the Jedi. There were Imperial Nobility or Nobles that were visiting with the Emperor that sort of resembled Snoke. If he was an imperial noble that just was close enough at the time of the Emperor's death...it could be possible the Emperor made the leap...or maybe there is another mechanism.

Anyways, the Rumor goes that Matt Smith may be playing a Dark Figure which is basically a character possessed/controlled by the deceased Emperor's spirit. Thus, he has to be defeated.

Kylo and Rey join up to defeat Matt Smith's character.
Thus more hypothesizing. It could be that this was Kylo's plan from the start...to destroy the Emperor once and for all...which is what he meant by finish what his Grandfather started. However, to figure out how to get close to the Emperor in order to figure out how to do it meant that he had to become what he was. He was always good, but he had to show that he was part of the Dark Side to enable himself the power to destroy the Emperor.

He failed with Snoke and now he allies with Rey in order to try to take down the Emperor for good.

The Rumor continues...He and Rey kill Matt Smith's character but then the Emperor jumps to Kylo where he holds the Emperor and Rey kills him (perhaps the Emperor can only enter someone who is engulfed with the Dark side because apparently the Emperor does not jump to Rey then) thus killing the Emperor for good...

But Kylo is not really dead, but he is dead (the rumor is kind of confusing on that).

Of course, this is all rumors and speculation, but I found it interesting enough to mention.

Last edited:

I wonder if it wouldn't be better to put those rumors into spoiler tags, since if they are true, they are spoilers. We won't know until its out, I suppose, but I can imagine some people don't want to be that close to the truth. On the other hand, they probably should avoid watching Trailers, too.
[sblock]
I don't love it, but it might be something to create a bit of a surprise.
I think it would only really be interesting if Rey were to hold the Emperor's soul. Rey has lost no fight against Kylo so far, why should we expect it to be different? Unless the situation will not be a final fight between the two.
But that would be a bit of a bummer, killing of the heroine in the last episode of the trilogy. (Plus "politically" very unfortunate.)
[/sblock]

GreyLord

Legend
I wonder if it wouldn't be better to put those rumors into spoiler tags, since if they are true, they are spoilers. We won't know until its out, I suppose, but I can imagine some people don't want to be that close to the truth. On the other hand, they probably should avoid watching Trailers, too.
[sblock]
I don't love it, but it might be something to create a bit of a surprise.
I think it would only really be interesting if Rey were to hold the Emperor's soul. Rey has lost no fight against Kylo so far, why should we expect it to be different? Unless the situation will not be a final fight between the two.
But that would be a bit of a bummer, killing of the heroine in the last episode of the trilogy. (Plus "politically" very unfortunate.)
[/sblock]

Sure. It is just rumors and such (so high chance it's wrong) but , it's not hard just to put spoiler tags around it just in case.

I went above and edited my post so that the rumors and speculation are now in a spoiler box.

sblock isn’t supported by Tapatalk, unfortunately.

Will the markup at least appear to warn people, or is it silently hidden, with the text appearing without any hitns it might be in a tag? And why doesn't Tapatalk support something like that? Are the developers not using their own software to read message boards, spoiler tags are not exactly uncommon in discussions? Or is SBLOCk some unusal special syntax only used by 1 % of vbulletin forums because vBulletin still hasn't standardized its tags? Don't we have a similar problem with quote tags? Or is it EN Worlds fault for not using standard tags?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Will the markup at least appear to warn people, or is it silently hidden, with the text appearing without any hitns it might be in a tag? And why doesn't Tapatalk support something like that? Are the developers not using their own software to read message boards, spoiler tags are not exactly uncommon in discussions? Or is SBLOCk some unusal special syntax only used by 1 % of vbulletin forums because vBulletin still hasn't standardized its tags? Don't we have a similar problem with quote tags? Or is it EN Worlds fault for not using standard tags?

Yes, no, you’d have to ask them, don’t know, it’s a custom tag, don’t know - do we?, I think “spoiler” works?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases