• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star Wars Saga Edition?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
It's really cool to see how a lot of the parts I liked from KotOR made it into SW Saga. "Throw Lightsaber", for example. :)

Ah, now I want to play KotOR again...

Sigh, -- N

Klaus

First Post
Gez said:
Much better supported than, say, Call of Cthulhu d20 or Wheel of Time RPG... :p
In a recent convention here in Brazil, Monte Cook said that the plan for CoC d20 was never to supplant the original game by Chaosium, but to present the Cthulhu Mythos to a larger gaming audience. If they liked it, they could turn to Chaosium's products.

AK Browncoat

Explorer
Nifft said:
1/ More like d20 Modern than D&D.

2/ General competence increases by level (like it or not); specialization is accomplished via feats & talents.

3/ It is liquid awesome drizzled over lightly toasted solid awesome.

One of those is my humble opinion. :)

Cheers, -- N

I concur with the findings above, Saga is solid!

bolen said:
I guess I meant the previous two books were not supported well
Not supported well?

The OCR had 3 hardcover sourcebooks, 5 paperback sourcebooks, and 10 issues of Star Wars Gamer magazine. That was only over a period of about a year and a half.

The RCR had 7 hardcover sourcebooks and 1 paperback sourcebook. That was over a period of about 3 years.

That's a lot of support for what is essentially a secondary product line for WotC, where every product has to be heavily vetted by Lucasfilm for approval before anything is released.

MrFilthyIke

First Post
wingsandsword said:
That's a lot of support for what is essentially a secondary product line for WotC, where every product has to be heavily vetted by Lucasfilm for approval before anything is released.

Not to mention the Living Force campaign as a type of support.

robberbaron

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
Well, there is nothing to stop someone picking a given force power multiple times, and in the book Palpatine has Force Lightning (4), Move object (3) as well as many others... so he could use Force Lightning four times in one encounter without having to think too hard about it (and if you roll a natural 20 when making a Use the Force check you get back all your expended Force powers - plus there are some Talents that make it easier to recover certain powers too.
Doh. Missed that in my skim through.

However, just to show that I can nitpick as well as any other ENWorlder, I'd have preferred something like a number of uses equal to the number of Force Powers.
Having to choose a Force Power twice to be able to use it twice still sounds too much like D&D for my taste.

Hey ho, horses for courses and all that.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
There are other mechanics for using Force Powers multiple times in an encounter. First, you can spend a Force Point to recover one power as a Swift action. This is a fine dramatic use of a Force Point -- you can use a power 3 times in one particular fight even if you can normally only use it once per fight. Second, you could roll a natural 20 on a Use The Force check, and get back all your expended powers. This is less reliable but more powerful. :)

Then there's the various Talents... can't recall them off the top of my head, but they give you free uses of stuff under certain circumstances.

Cheers, -- N

Nepenthe

First Post
drothgery said:
It seems more CRPG friendly than the previous rules. But I'd like to see KotOR III based on Saga, the psuedo-RCR used in KotOR I and II, or a new ruleset Bioware made up, just as long as they got to finish the game.

Well, I believe they are actually on record as wanting to continue with the IP, so I think that we are probably going to see a sequel at some point. Waiting for the new ruleset to come out would make sense, especially since it seems to be getting pretty good support and there might be some kind of marketing synergy from the whole thing.

Think I'm gonna go pick it up today, you guys've convinced me :)

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Nifft said:
It's really cool to see how a lot of the parts I liked from KotOR made it into SW Saga. "Throw Lightsaber", for example. :)

I think the really cool thing about SWSE is how many things from the movies made it in. "Throw Lightsabre" for example (cf Luke fighting Vader) :)

Not to mention, oh I don't know, classic stuff like 'seeing by using the force', using the force while piloting and so forth.

At last, something that reflects movies first and EU a (distant?) second!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads