Star Wars - Tales from the Outer Rim

Jodo Kast

First Post
I know I hinted at some major updates this weekend, but due to a certain unforeseen announcement that you are all well aware of by now, I will probably be otherwise occupied until June 21. I will post if I can before then. Hey, this Story Hour is only one week old and I've already posted 6 installments ... not too shabby, right?

Last edited:

madriel

First Post
I'm helping my brother move into his new house (his first ever) on the 21st, so I'll have something to look forward to, then.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Horacio said:
My holidays, without internet, begin on June 21st, so I will read it twenty days later :( :(

Hell, Horacio, if you're going to be gone, Morrus might as well shut down the Story Hour forum. You are the driving force behind the whole place. ;)

Jodo Kast

First Post
Sorry folks, no new material yet, but I did want to show off my new signature banner (down at the bottom) and see what you think. I will reveal that soon you will meet the next of our PC heroes, the gruff explorer and prospector Detten Harcrov. Here's a sneak peek at Detten:

prospector.gif

Last edited:

Jodo Kast

First Post
CLAIM JUMPING - PART I

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away ...

Detten reclined casually in his chair across from his supervisor, Emik Rehte. The burly alien Emik had wrinkled gray warty skin, a face lined with four pairs of stubby breathing tubes, and was nervously drumming his three-fingered hands on his desk. “Det,” he began, leaning forward across his desk, “I know that you have fulfilled the terms of your contract. Admirably so, I must admit...” Detten acknowledged this statement with a slight nod of his head, leaning back a bit further and crossing his legs as he did.

Emik continued “... but you know that we are having a difficult time meeting the material demands of the Empire. We need good scouts like you in order to keep up with production. If you would extend your contract, I’m sure we could make it worth your while." The Skrilling gave his best approximation of a broad smile with this last statement.

Detten folded his hands together and scanned the finely appointed office of his Outer Rim Oreworks corporate supervisor. Emik narrowed his eyes slightly as he watched the scout. Detten Harcrov was one of his best scouts, and had scored an exceptional number of claims for the corporation. As loathe as he was to admit it, Detten’s successes had helped considerably in Emik’s rise in position within ORO. Emik had come to depend on Harcrov’s talents, and this led to Detten being made privy to some of Emik’s shadier dealings. The Skrilling supervisor had a good deal of faith in the human’s discretion, but nonetheless suspected the shrewd scout might use his confidences as leverage.

Detten’s eyes slid back to meet those of his supervisor. The human played a smile of his own to match the Skrilling's. “I appreciate your offer Emik, but I have really humped the nerf to fulfill my contract early.” The weather-worn scout leaned forward, the flat, humorless gleam in his gray eyes saying far more than his words. “I am sure you will agree that that my services to you over the past decade warrant your blessing of my early retirement.”

Emik’s face clenched slightly at the implied threat, but he quickly regained his composure. The smile returned to the Skrilling’s face as he responded, “Of course, Det. Your services have been greatly appreciated. That is why I consider you so valuable. Your hard work and discretion have been of great benefit to the company, but we still need you.”

Detten chuckled softly. “You still need me Emik. I think ORO will do just fine without me. You know that I have been working closely with Jorba these last few years, I am sure you will find him a suitable replacement. I am more than ready to put the long hours of flight time and ... ah, business dealings behind me.” Detten flashed an insincere smile. “I think I'm ready to go into business for myself. You have been an excellent teacher in both the mining industry and negotiation skills.”

Detten once again settled back, his smile fading to a barely discernable smirk as he watched Emik’s reaction.
The Skrilling shrugged and leaned back into his chair. "I think I understand Detten... of course.” Seems you’ve learned a little too well, the supervisor thought to himself. He knows I could find a loophole in his contract to keep him tied, so he’s pulling a little light duty blackmail to keep me in line. "I don’t need to remind you of the confidentiality clause in your contract, or that you are strictly prohibited from freelancing for our competitors.”

“Of course Emik, don’t worry. The company’s confidences will be closely guarded. You know I can keep a secret. I have already purged my personal logs of any compromising information, and I am fairly confident my backups are clean as well.” Fairly confident? Nice touch, but not too subtle, thought Emik.

Detten stood up and straightened his worn but rugged duster. “And you don’t have to worry about me working for the competition. By now my loyalty should be without question.”

Yes Detten, loyal to your own ends. I was hoping for more than that.

“Well, if I can’t talk you out of your decision, then at least let me be the first to congratulate you.” The Skrilling thrust a meaty hand out to the Human. “As per your contract, your ship is being prepared as we speak. I'm surprised you want to spend your retirement in that old Vangaard Pathfinder after logging so many hours in it during your time with the company, but it was part of your bargain. Your stipend will be deposited directly to your account, as I am sure you will be difficult to contact.”

Detten laughed. The Skrilling was playing this as he had hoped. No need for the old crook to push the issue. He was sure Emik realized if anything untoward happened, the supervisor’s dirty dealings would quickly come to the attention of the ORO executives. When playing these games, you always carried a little insurance. It was the only way to ensure people kept their bargains. “It’s been a pleasure working for you Emik. Don’t worry, I will keep in touch. I like to keep my friends close.”

And your enemies just a little closer, as the Human proverb goes.

“Good! I look forward to it. We will talk of your exploits over an old bottle of Norvanian Grog. I've been saving one back for just such an occasion. And perhaps I could talk you into a little freelance work after you get good and bored of retirement.”

Detten grabbed the Skrilling’s hand and gave it a firm shake. “Don't count on it. You know me, I don’t think I’ll have any trouble finding excitement.”

Emik chuckled. “Just remember, Detten, ORO no longer accepts responsibility for posting your bail, so don’t go looking for too much excitement. Heh, I'll never forget that incident on Ryloth ...”

With a smile, Detten turned and left the supervisor’s office. He was relieved that everything went according to plan, but knew he still had to be wary. Emik did not like being toyed with. The old bantha stuffer might yet try something. But Detten planned to be far away before he had the chance.

A few hours later, Emik was still in his office. On his desk sat a full glass of lum. The Skrilling carefully measured a small dose of chukka powder into the glass, just to take the edge off. As he rolled his fingers to mix the last trace of the brown narcotic into his drink, he received a voice com, one he had been expecting.

“Is he gone?” the Skrilling inquired.

“Yes supervisor, he just left.”

“Did you finish the job?”

“Yes. The tracer won’t kick on for another hour. He did a fair job searching the ship before he left, but I don’t think he suspected anything.”

“And you rigged his beacon?”

“As you directed. Everything is set on a time delay, so he shouldn’t notice anything right away. I also double-checked his droid’s programming. It won’t alert him to anything.”

“What about his files?”

“Couldn’t find anything. You know he’s too careful for that, but you can be fairly sure his ‘insurance’ is well taken care of.”

“Good work. Det was right, you’ll be just as good as he was.”

“No, Emik, I'm even better. Jorba out.”

Emik dipped his finger into the spiked lum and then sampled the sweet mixture from his fingertip. Perfect. He settled back into his chair, crossing his legs and placing his feet on his desk. As he reclined, and sipped his lum, the Skrilling finally began to feel the tension ease. Foolish Detten. Did you really think you could strike deals with my contacts? Choti does not deal with underlings. Every plan you made was reported to me. Did you really think you could forge your identity and stake a claim behind my back? Did you really think that the Squid would underwrite your little mining operation? I do appreciate your business sense, however. Making business deals with Incom to discretely deliver refined ores, at inflated prices due to Imperial restrictions, was a stroke of genius. The deals still stand, though you will not be the one to benefit.

I thank you for your one last favor to me Detten. I am sorry you never learned the true meaning of loyalty, as you have learned so many of my other lessons. Although you don’t realize it yet, class is still in session. I have one more lesson to teach you, and you won’t much care for it, I fear.

Last edited:

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Fantastic stuff, Jodo. The care and attention you are giving to these character intros is really going to pay off down the line.

And when I leave the office early on Friday, I'm so telling my boss, "I really humped the nerf all week and I deserve to take off a couple hours early you old bantha stuffer."

Jodo Kast

First Post
Rel said:
Fantastic stuff, Jodo. The care and attention you are giving to these character intros is really going to pay off down the line. And when I leave the office early on Friday, I'm so telling my boss, "I really humped the nerf all week and I deserve to take off a couple hours early you old bantha stuffer."
Hilarious. I wish I could take credit for all of this. Detten's player and I sat down and talked through his intro, and he wrote it up. I tweaked it a little, but it's mostly Jeff's work. When I read the "humped the nerf" line I almost died. I even told him, "Dude, people are going to be quoting that!" And here not an hour after I post it, Rel has found a good practical application for the quote. We hope to have the next installment of Detten's background up soon. After that I'll turn my attention to the next of our characters, Jirair Gann's younger brother Jaros.

Last edited:

madriel

First Post
Detten's player came up with a great background-even if it does make him seem more scoundrel than scout.

Nerf humping.:)

Remove ads