• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star Wreck: In the Pirkinning

Iku Rex

Explorer
Anyone else seen Star Wreck: In the Pirkinning? (Website.)

DL links are on the website (BitTorrent and direct), or you can use eDonkey. (ED2k link: <a href="ed2k://|file|star_wreck_in_the_pirkinning_subtitled_xvid.avi|567683274|4cd543945ef909c0ec264027d899229c|">star_wreck_in_the_pirkinning_subtitled_xvid.avi</a> )

I liked it. The acting is so-so at times, but the CGI is very pretty and some of the Star Trek and B5 in-jokes are disturbingly funny.

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
Just saw it, burned it to DVD. 9/10!

Incredible what those Finns did in their basement. Awesome special effects, passable acting for amateurs, and a great script.

Star Trek vs B5, with all those obscure references...

Info, get into twinkler range! Dwarf, Fire the light balls! :)

Well worth the download. Make sure you take the english subtitled version, it's in Finnish.

Andargor

NiTessine

Explorer
Indeed, it is a magnificent movie. Got the DVD last month, and I've watched it four times now. Five stars out of five.

Personally, I think it's better than any of the Star Trek or Babylon 5 films out there. Then, it might be argued this is not saying much. :cool:

Here's a mostly spoilerless review I posted in my LiveJournal.

Fast Learner

First Post
I watched it and found it to be utterly and in every way underwhelming. Well, except for the special effects, which were good. Unfortunately I didn't like the rest of it at all, and I went into it really positive and gave it a chance over and over again.

Maybe if I could have seen it in its original language (and understood it). Alas.

Wormwood

Adventurer
The special effects were top notch.

I really like the fact that they made all the actors learn this weird moon-man language.

That's dedication!

NiTessine

Explorer
According to reports on a few Finnish talk shows, the movie's been downloaded over two million times. This was last Monday. If the pace has kept up, it's probably already over 2,800,000... if we count every download as a single viewer, it has then bypassed The Unknown Soldier as the most watched Finnish movie, ever.

I think this is a fairly good accomplishment for a bunch of college students and gamers, working with a shoestring budget. Overall, the movie's taken approximately 10,000 euros to make, over seven years. Samuli Torssonen, the producer and actor of Pirk, said the movie was funded with welfare money and student financial aid.

Fast Learner

First Post
I think it's extemely impressive for basically a fan effort on a very, very low budget. That doesn't mean I think it's a good movie, but it's amazing for its resources.

Remove ads