Starfinder: Red Dawn (OOC/ FULL)

Kaodi

Hero
I said that I was not looking to play but I do have a bit of an itch to scratch. I am submitting this here in case you would like to use him as an NPC or something down the line, or if your fifth does not reply back (I see has not posted in the RG yet as you had requested).

A young Tolar had been honoured when he was accepted into the "cadet program" that turned young Kasatha into the elite starfighter pilots that guarded the worldship, Idari. After years of training, Tolar had but one task left before he could enter the ranks of those elite pilots: complete The Tempering.

The vast majority of pilots are content to rely on the technological engineering of their craft. But Tolar was particularly interested in augmenting starship operation with magical energies. So he set out to study the technomancer's craft in the hopes that he would be able to enhance his own starfighter. The kasatha found a venerable teacher of the magical arts and began an accelerated program of study.

When Tolar returned to the Idari fleet he was confident his approach would find favour among his superiors. They were not quite as enthusiastic about it as the junior pilot, but they decided to humour him. And for a while everything seemed to go well. But guardianship of the kasatha worldship was not to be for long.

On a long distance patrol mission Tolar's squadron was beset by raiders looking to test their own mettle against the kasathan guard. After some intense dogfighting, Tolar's ship energy stores were straining under the continued use of engines, shields, and weapons. So the kasathan technomancer thought he would try something new: channeling his own energies directly into his starfighter. The effect was disastrous: the ships power core was almost fried completely, power cut out, and it was effectively dead in space. Tolar's squadron was lucky and managed to drive off the raiders while short a ship.

While unpowered Tolar's ship had been nearly shredded by enemy weapons fire, though the cockpit life support systems had not been breached. The squadron leader contacted Idari command and a rescue ship was sent to tow Tolar's fighter back to base. For taking such a risk with untested abilities during an enemy engagement Tolar was ejected from the Idari fleet, with his commander citing his unreadiness for the trust placed in him.

Tolar was crushed. After being allowed a short period to get his affairs in order he was put on a transport back to Akiton. Before leaving, however, he was allowed to take possession of the salvaged remnants of his starfighter's onboard computer with its AI assistant, Kala. It was one of the few mementos of his time in the program he would have.

Since then Tolar has taken odd jobs and been part of several crews, valued for both his piloting, technological skills, and more careful use of his magical abilities. Working out of Absalom Station, the kasatha is currently looking for new employment and opportunities.

Tolar
Male Kasatha Ace Pilot Technomancer 1
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Resolve: 4
Exp: 0

Appearance:

Statistics
Str: 12 (+1)
Dex: 12 (+1) 1
Con: 10 (+0)
Int: 16 (+3) 8
Wis: 12 (+0)
Cha: 11 (+0) 1

Stamina: 5
Hit Points: 9

KAC: 13
EAC: 12
Initiative: +1
BAB: +0
Speed: 30'

Saves
Fort: +0
Reflex: +1
Will: +3

Feats
1 Skill Focus: Piloting

Racial Abilities
+2 Str, +2 Wis, -2 Int
Humanoid and Kasatha types
Desert Stride: Move normal speed through non-magic desert/hills/mountain diff terrain
Four Armed: Hold four hands worth of weapons and equipment, but no extra attacks
Flat Affect: +2 Culture/Acrobatics/Athletics

Theme: Ace Pilot
1 - +1 Piloting, -5 DC to Culture checks re: starship and vehicle models, hotshot pilots

Class Abilities:
Proficiencies - Lgt Armor, Basic melee, small arms
Spell Cache: Tattoo
- Once per day cast any spell known
Technomancer Spells Per Day - 0-level At Will, 3 1st
Spells Known
- 0 Detect Magic, Energy Ray, Mending, Psychokinetic Hand
- 1 Magic Missile, Flight

Skills 7
Acrobatics 1, +4
Athletics 1, +4
Computers 1, +7
Engineering 1, +7
Mysticism 1, +5
Perception 1, +2
Piloting 1, +8

Languages: Common, Kasathan, Akitonian, Castrovelian, Shirren

Weapons
Battle Staff, +1 atk, 1d4 B, Knockdown, Analog, Block, bulk 1, 80

Armor
Second Skin (1), +1 EAC/+2 KAC, +5 max dex, 0 ACP, Bulk L, 250
- Upg

Equipment
Industrial Backpack, Bulk 1 (Str +2 to carrying capacity), 25
Shipsuit (Environmental clothing; +1 vs Radiation and +2 to Zero-G movement), Bulk L, 20
Planetsuit (Environmental Clothing; +2 vs Cold and hot temperatures), Bulk L, 20
Hygiene Kit, Bulk 1, 3
Personal Comm Unit, Bulk L, 7
Flashlight, Bulk L, 1
Medpatch, Bulk L, 50
Engineering Kit, Bulk L, 20
Hacking Kit, Bulk L, 20
Trapsmith's Tools, Bulk L 20

Computer, Bulk L
Tier 2, 250
Artifical Personality (Kala), 25
Miniaturization x 2, 50
Self-charging, 25
Alarm, 10

Total Bulk 4

Money 134

Edit: Yes, I totally stole Shayuri's character sheet.

Last edited:

eayres33

Explorer
Okay I have the first post up.

We have the ship Solenya, heading towards the space port Lyceum on Akiton. Final destination is the city of Gate’s Pass with a mission to extract a man named Torrent before the forces of the Radiant Imperium surround the city.

The Crew

Kyran “Crash” Asherock, a human, Operative played by JustinCase
Elyea Tandela, human, Mystic played by KahlessNestor
Terra Nova and Android, soldier played by Thateous
Echo an Android, Mechanic played by Shayuri

From what I’ve been able to put together, (not 100% certain because each page is taking a minute or two to load tonight, probable roles are

Pilot: Crash
Science Officer: Elyea
Gunner: Terra Nova
Engineer: Echo

I also have Otaxx as our fifth player who is working on a character and Kaodi as a backup. Let me know if this seems right, or if there are changes that need to be made.

Shayuri

First Post
Kahless, for ship combat there may be a few options. All characters have Pilot as a class skill for example, and it's used both for flying the ship and for firing its weapons.

There may also be ways to contribute that don't actually require one of the ship combat skills. I'm not familiar with your character, I shall take a peek at the sheet and see if I can offer any suggestions.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Kahless, for ship combat there may be a few options. All characters have Pilot as a class skill for example, and it's used both for flying the ship and for firing its weapons.

There may also be ways to contribute that don't actually require one of the ship combat skills. I'm not familiar with your character, I shall take a peek at the sheet and see if I can offer any suggestions.
Thanks. I haven't done ship combat yet. I just don't want to be dead weight.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EN World mobile app

Shayuri

First Post
Well you're definitely not dead weight to the group!

Looking at the sheet, I see I was wrong about Pilot...it's not a class skill. I coulda sworn everyone got it, but I guess not.

You've got the social moxie to be invaluable to avoid combat, or negotiate surrenders (ideally of the other guys :)).

Medical assistance is always welcome, and people can and will get hurt during ship combat due to the results of critical hits and so on.

But yeah, you don't actually have any of the skills specifically used for the ship combat system. That said, the system does allow for PC actions that don't involve ship systems. Spells in particular can potentially be useful, if you have the ability to offer bonuses to skill checks and so on.

Kaodi

Hero
Yeah, as Captain with a +5 Diplomacy on a Tier 1 Ship basically gives you 50/50 odds on what basically amounts to Aid Another on any other combat action using Encourage.

Edit: Also, the Scan Science Officer action can be done untrained, and is always likely to be useful.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Oh hey yeah...the Captain is all about the social skills, I totally forgot about that!

Thanks Kaodi! :)

Also note that you don't have to have the 'rank' of Captain to take the role of captain during ship combat.

Kaodi

Hero
You guys chose the picture to represent the ship but what do you figure the actual "bridge" of the ship looks like? Enterprise, but cramped? Anime style, with raised central platform with others in a semi-circle around it? Millenium Falcon style, with a Pilot and Co-Pilot chair in the cockpit and other stations offscreen? Or shuttle style, where you have Pilot and Co-Pilot seating and then two more chairs directly behind them?

Shayuri

First Post
Given that most folks liked the first picture, which I actually did too ;), I feel like the 'bridge' is probably closer to a large cockpit, Millennium Falcon style, but a bit bigger. Kind of like the Serenity's control area perhaps. Not really a bridge, but big for a cockpit.

Pilot and science officer would be stationed there, I expect. There'd be another seat for a captain or maybe a gunner or engineer...it's the future, we can say the third crew station is flexible. You import your console configuration with your 'login.'

In fact, any control station on the ship COULD run any crew role. You could fly the ship from Engineering if you didn't mind not having the big window to look out through.

Remove ads