• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stargate Campaign: Spycraft or D20 Modern?

Which system would work better for Stargate? Spycraft or D20 Modern?

• Spycraft

Votes: 35 44.3%
  • D20 Modern

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • Some other system I haven't considered

Votes: 10 12.7%

I'm going to be running a d20 Stargate campaign (more along the lines of the TV show as opposed to the movie).

I'm trying to figure out whether I should use the Spycraft ruleset or the D20 Modern ruleset. Pros and Cons would be greatly appreciated.

-F

RodneyThompson

First Post
1) Stargate SG-1 is a military based series which Spycraft already has built-in support for
2) Stargate is mission-oriented, making it perfect for using the Budget Points/Gadget points system
3) Spycraft's chase and combat system are more suited to cinematic action (this one's an opinion, though, so YMMV)
4) Spycraft has more support -- Spycraft Core Book, Modern Arms Guide, Soldier/Wheelman Guide are great supplements to this kind of campaign.

Apok

First Post
Spycraft. It's perfectly built to handle what you need (as pointed out by Moridin). Also, it's alot more exciting than d20 Modern. The classes, while not as generic, are extremely well put-together and the feats just ooze style and coolness. There are also alot of little things about Spycraft that I prefer over d20 modern (Action Dice & their role in the game, critical success/failure on skills, their psionics system, the way combat is handled, etc).

We're evenly split at the moment, with three of the 'some other system' options.

It goes without saying that if I haven't considered a system, it's probably because I don't know about it :)

If you choose option 3, please elaborate.

Thanks,

F

Apok

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Personally, I go with Spycraft but I prefer the gritty hit point system of d20 Modern.

But you can run Spycraft just as gritty with one minor modification; allow Mooks to crit. It still puts the grittiness level in the GM's hands (since you need to spend an action die), but I fail to see this as a bad thing.

Of course, you can just as easily make d20 Modern more cinematic by eliminating the Massive Damage rule.

I still prefer Spycraft. :D

Kenpo Wolf

First Post
Of Modern and Spycraft, I voted for Spycraft. In my SG campaign, I'm using Spycraft, Traveller D2O, Star Wars and elements out of Alternity and Modern

Ranger REG

Explorer
Apok said:

But you can run Spycraft just as gritty with one minor modification; allow Mooks to crit. It still puts the grittiness level in the GM's hands (since you need to spend an action die), but I fail to see this as a bad thing.
Oh, I've already houserule that in my Spycraft game. Makes no sense I have to spend an action die to confirm a crit. When I can take a chance and roll a successful Threat roll. Of course, I still allow players a chance to spend an action die after a failed Threat.

Of course, you can just as easily make d20 Modern more cinematic by eliminating the Massive Damage rule.
When it comes to SG-1, cinematic does not automatically comes to mind, IMHO. I prefer less cinematic and more gritty.

I even experimented the use of Threshold rules on Spycraft. If damage is equal to or greater than the PC's Threshold, he must roll a successful Fort Save or his Vitality immediately reduced to 0.

Last edited:

Rifter

First Post
I voted Spycraft. But, in all honesty, I think you can pull some stuff out of D20 Modern, as well... but I really like the Spycraft combat system.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads