• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Starter Set Character Sheet Revealed!

Rykion

Explorer
I'm super annoyed at what seems to be the Human racial stat modifiers, +1 to everything. Is no one as upset about this as me? Argh!!!

Why not +2 to one score? Even +1 to two of your choice. Something. Else.

+1 to every score seems crazy (though I get not necessarily unbalancing).
I don't like the across the board +1 either. I've made human cultures for my game. Usually they have +1 to two stats and 1 skill and 1 weapon or tool proficiency.

For example, a gregarious tribal culture gets +1 Con, +1 Cha, survival skill proficiency and proficiency with a battleaxe.

Agamon

Adventurer
I don't like the across the board +1 either. I've made human cultures for my game. Usually they have +1 to two stats and 1 skill and 1 weapon or tool proficiency.

For example, a gregarious tribal culture gets +1 Con, +1 Cha, survival skill proficiency and proficiency with a battleaxe.

I like the human bonus. I don't think it's too out of wack, and maybe it'll lead to groups with more humans in them instead of the freak shows from the past couple of editions.

Reaper Steve

Explorer
There's a lot of replies to the FB post that provided this character sheet that are filled with rage and gnashing of teeth regarding this being a Fighter with low Dex, specifically Dex lower than Charisma. It's clear that most of those posters haven't been following the play test. Regardless, it's also clear that they miss the fact that there's no reason for this character to have a higher Dex! His melee and ranged weapons are both Strength based and his armor gives a flat AC. (Ok, so he has a -1 instead of a +2 to Dex saves, and he's not likely to win initiative.) But these improvements neatly get around the 'need' to have a high Dex just to be able to survive. This character will be much more useful to the group with a higher Charisma than he would with a higher Dex.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Multiclassing to fifth level? Sure...
Wouldnt you pick up action surge at 2nd level? that's all folks will want (second wind isnt bad either, and whatever armour/weapon prof's you pick up too, i dunno). Main point is, every class will want action surge, coz it's OP. Alas. Lot of talk on the forums ages ago about action surge being too good, pity devs didnt take that on board. :(

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Wouldnt you pick up action surge at 2nd level? that's all folks will want (second wind isnt bad either, and whatever armour/weapon prof's you pick up too, i dunno). Main point is, every class will want action surge, coz it's OP. Alas. Lot of talk on the forums ages ago about action surge being too good, pity devs didnt take that on board. :(

OP means Original Post, or Organized Play. It can't mean yet a third thing on these boards now too!

marleykat

First Post
Wouldnt you pick up action surge at 2nd level? that's all folks will want (second wind isnt bad either, and whatever armour/weapon prof's you pick up too, i dunno). Main pot is, every class will want action surge, coz it's OP. Alas. Lot of talk on the forums ages ago about action surge being too good, pity devs didnt take that on board. :(
Action surge is great for a 4e game and some 3 games but 2e? Not so much compared to 2x attacks without dual wielding. Remember alot of people are going to alter both healing and the long/#short rest mechanic to simulate 1/2/3e or a mix of 2/3e or flat alter the baseline assumptions of the game (gritty, superheroic, horror etc).

Last edited:

Ichneumon

First Post
I doubt we have arcane miniguns coming our way, courtesy of Action Surge. It was never possible to cast two spells in one turn during the playtest, and I fully expect a 1 spell/turn hard cap in the casting rules. With that, Action Surge is useful to a multiclassing PC. but giving up 2-4 spell slots including higher-level ones in return for being able to strike'n'cast once between rests isn't a no-brainer.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
:D

I think you just perfectly described what Basic D&D is. which is why we will have a PH to augment it.

At the whim of the DM in charge, 60% of it will be optional remember?

Gut reaction - Action surge is OP - fighter gets a whole extra action, at 5th that means 4 attacks in one round. Oh well. Expect a lot of multiclass fighters, I guess.

If no changes have happened to multiclassing, mcing fighter will be very costly, I would expect more starting fighters that branch out at third level. (Again assuming the DM doesn't do anything to stop you, MCing is optional with capital O)

I'm super annoyed at what seems to be the Human racial stat modifiers, +1 to everything. Is no one as upset about this as me? Argh!!!

Why not +2 to one score? Even +1 to two of your choice. Something. Else.

+1 to every score seems crazy (though I get not necessarily unbalancing).

You are not alone, this feels wrong on many levels. unless every race in basic works like that, in that case it is fine.

Im still disappointed that they did not go with the SP standard, but that is another topic.
I'm still disappointed too.

I like the human bonus. I don't think it's too out of wack, and maybe it'll lead to groups with more humans in them instead of the freak shows from the past couple of editions.

To me it is the opposite, now I feel like never playing a single human again, I don't feel like I can relate to them anymore. To me is as if every human became a freak, like an ability score version of the uncanny valley.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads