D&D 5E Starter Set Contents Teaser

Talath

Explorer
Click for big version.

View attachment 62069

Gray Elf: Back in my day we only had three classes, and fighters were called fighting men, and wizards were called magic-users. It was the style of the time.

*collective groan*

Gray Elf: I remember we entered the underground labyrinth of a great castle, and the first room had a fountain that killed half of us.

Human: Last time you said one-third.

Gray Elf: Well I wasn't counting the torchbearers who we forced to drink the fountain water. Anyway, we eventually were waylaid by kobolds. They managed to kill everyone but me before they all died. I found 64 copper coins and some shoe string. I was so happy I almost cried.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
if you don't want to put the tokens on the map then I am not sure why you want tokens. To show matching order?

I had (still have) a ton of lead figures from back in the day. Pretty much all we used them for was marching order. Or I as DM would use them to scare the hell out of the players. Nothing like rolling out 20 or so orcs or a dragon or whatever and watching the reactions. "You see...." [plop down lead figures]..."Roll initiative."

Iosue

Legend
I don't understand this statement. The PF Beginner Box Set is aimed at new RPG players. The D&D Starter Set is aimed at new RPG players. It's a valid to compare the two, from content to price point. The audience is the same.
The point that I believe Mistwell is making is that while, in the big picture, the PFBBS and 5e Starter Set are aimed at the same audience, their approach to that audience and the intent of the products are so different as to not make them a fair comparison when it comes to content.

The goal of the PFBBS is to present a simplified version of PF, reducing the cost of buy-in to the Core Game. It is very consciously patterned after the old TSR Basic Sets, which extra-consideration to the reliance PF has on map-based play. The idea is that prospective players can get the box, play long enough to get hooked and want more, and then move onto the fuller PF rules, ready and willing to take on the additional rules burden.

The goal of the Starter Set is to go from box-opening to actual play in as minimal an amount of time as possible. No chargen, minimal rules to understand, minimal set-up. Open box, distribute characters, read through about 8 double-sided pages, and go off to the races. It's designed to have replay value: e.g., 1-5 levels, multiple adventures in a sandbox setting. But the goal is to hook the player through actual play as soon as possible. Having played the game, and gotten hooked, they can then download the Basic Rules for chargen and (later) more monsters and campaign building tools, and if they're really hooked they can then buy any of the PHB, MM, and DMG if desiring even more options.

Paizo looked at Pathfinder and said, "How can we present the full Pathfinder experience, including chargen, roleplaying, and map-play, in the smallest, easiest possible way?" The result was the PFBBS.

WotC looked at 5e and said, "How can we get players actually playing the game in the fastest, easiest possible way?" The result is the 5e Starter Set and the free online Basic Rules.

Agamon

Adventurer
I really like this piece... but as I was talking with others on Google+, I noted there are no people of color present in the party. Missed opportunity in my view.

It would have needed to be a group of humans, though. Fantasy races in D&D are very stereotyped, like it or not, in order to make them "different" from humans. Which is kinda silly, really, because humans can be anything. But silly or not, that's the perception.

Hopefully there is some diversity among the humans pictured in the books, though.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
It would have needed to be a group of humans, though. Fantasy races in D&D are very stereotyped, like it or not, in order to make them "different" from humans. Which is kinda silly, really, because humans can be anything. But silly or not, that's the perception.

Hopefully there is some diversity among the humans pictured in the books, though.

Based on how the art has looked up until this point, I would be fairly surprised if they didn't have diverse humans. Mike mentioned diverse looking people as one of the reasons for having FR as the default setting in the core books.

Thaumaturge.

MartyW

Explorer
Fantasy races in D&D are very stereotyped, like it or not, in order to make them "different" from humans. Which is kinda silly, really, because humans can be anything. But silly or not, that's the perception.

Truly... Although WotC could make a change in this stereotyping as well. Who say halflings have to be Caucasian? Or all Elves for the matter?

But even discounting that, you make the gal holding her hands up to the fire a black woman, or instead the dude reclining on the left side a bit less Northern European and this piece could have really stood out.

You don't need a whole party of humans to show diversity. If all your other races are white, then make your humans more ethnic.

Agamon

Adventurer
Truly... Although WotC could make a change in this stereotyping as well. Who say halflings have to be Caucasian? Or all Elves for the matter?

Well, all elves aren't. Maybe that's one of the reasons drow made the Player's Handbook.

But even discounting that, you make the gal holding her hands up to the fire a black woman, or instead the dude reclining on the left side a bit less Northern European and this piece could have really stood out.

You don't need a whole party of humans to show diversity. If all your other races are white, then make your humans more ethnic.

Well, the starter takes place in the Realms, which basically is Northern European with some outlier nations that are non-Caucasian. So it honestly would have looked like "trying too hard."

That said, as Thaumaturge points out, the core books are more diverse in their setting assumptions, so the pics should be, too.

Remove ads