D&D 5E Starter Set Contents Teaser

Here: http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ex/20140605#93062

Looking like this:
Starter_Ex1_ToCth.jpg

Oh noes nothing but combat rules and why 4 pages on abilities? ;)

Reasonable split really 4 pages each on abilities (skills), combat, adventuring and spellcasting + a few more on the spells themselves

Last edited:

Rune

Once A Fool
4 pages teaching how to play, 5 pages on combat, and 2 pages each on adventuring (minus the equipment) and spell use (minus the spells and list).

Make of it what you will, I guess.

Last edited:

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
Huh. Not much in there. Not much is necessary with the Basic Game available online, but then why make a document with just combat rules and spell lists?
To make the Starter Set complete. If you buy it, you'll get preconstructed characters with all the info about their class features and abilities written on them and an adventure and DMing rules.

The only thing left to make the game playable is spell lists, combat rules, and adventuring rules. That book fills in the gap so that no one has to download anything from the internet unless they want to make their own characters.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Basicaly, this is a bigger shot of the artwork, and it doesn't disappoint. ;)

Though I hope one of these excerpts is the character sheet -- really interested in what they're doing with the design of that!

Olgar Shiverstone said:
Not much is necessary with the Basic Game available online, but then why make a document with just combat rules and spell lists?

It's a point of entry for the game: grandma can pick this box up at a store when their kid asks for D&D for Christmas, or someone browsing the shelves at the store might see it and pick it up out of interest. None of those folks are likely going to the WotC website on a regular basis!

Mercurius

Legend
That's a great dragon and nice art overall.

I suppose the TOC confirms how simple the Starter Set is, that it really is for people who have never played. On the other hand, it might be useful for long-time players who want a clean slate with the new edition. Remember that Mearls said it is more like a board game that can be played out-of-box with very little prep.

So for those hoping for something a bit more, hold onto your disappointment - that's what the Basic Game and PHB are for. This is for newbies.

Remove ads