• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Starter Set Excerpt 5

Hussar

Legend
Look at Klaus' compilation and then the 5e art, I can really see how they took nods from all the editions. There's definitely some 4e there - the spears for one thing. 4e is the only image where goblins have spears. From 3e, we get the lack of footwear, previous images all had boots on. The hunched over, kind of stalking pose starts in 2e.

With a fair bit of original thrown into the mix as well.

This was done with a fair bit of research, I'm thinking.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
The scenery is quite good and i like that they are relatively distinct one another. I guess my main gripe is with the shape of the head and ears...

DDNFan

Banned
Banned
The scenery is quite good and i like that they are relatively distinct one another. I guess my main gripe is with the shape of the head and ears...

They seem to all have the exact same nose too. I don't mind races having a very distinct look, just not all some kind of clone of one another. They're too same samey for me.

But anyway the art doesn't matter that much. Most of the other art I've seen for 5th edition has been either good or very good.

YRUSirius

First Post
I've always kinda wondered what terminology the German editions of D&D used. Any Germans here who can testify? (Does Mustrum Ridcully still post around here?)

The german translations used the same terminology. So the reptile kobolds kept their names, and goblins were still called goblins. It was kinda weird though; having kobolds that look nothing like traditional "kobolds" from german fairy tales. "Rumpelstilzchen" was a classic "kobold" for example.

-YRUSirius

The german translations used the same terminology. So the reptile kobolds kept their names, and goblins were still called goblins. It was kinda weird though; having kobolds that look nothing like traditional "kobolds" from german fairy tales. "Rumpelstilzchen" was a classic "kobold" for example.

-YRUSirius
Hmm... I was afraid the truth would be this banal. :(

Stormonu

Legend
They look to me like strung-out 4E halfings who got punched in the face.

I can't think of an edition where I've ever like the look of goblins, to be honest. However, when it comes to orcs, my favorite was the way Ken Frank rendered them in late 2E (in mostly Greyhawk products).

They look to me like strung-out 4E halfings who got punched in the face.

I can't think of an edition where I've ever like the look of goblins, to be honest. However, when it comes to orcs, my favorite was the way Ken Frank rendered them in late 2E (in mostly Greyhawk products).
Pics for the curious? Show us which orcs you liked best.

Down with truth.
I kinda wanted them to have a crazier name, like "Übelkind" or "Garstigerwicht".

jbear

First Post
I am, sadly for me, also an FR Drow expert (as of 2E, for the same reasons), and I don't agree at all with your presentation of them. Not sure what world your Drow are from, but it isn't the FR. Drow absolutely would not do that, were Lloth not there. She shaped their society, not vice-versa. The bolded bit shows you agree. Without her, they would not have this psycho murderous society. They might be very organised (the "next" Drow god in line is LE, IIRC), or even Good (c.f. Eilistraeeeeeeeee however much one might hate her).

Sojourn (RA Salvatore's least-bad book, I'd argue) makes it utterly explicit that it is because of how they are raised, and that is "true" in FR lore.

But Greyhawk Drow? Maybe they work your way. I honestly don't know jack about them.

Ummm ... threadjacking much?

I liked the art. My own image of goblins (in my head) is of the scrawnier (but dangerous) scavenger-type than those depicted here, but I love the perspective and the mood in the piece, showing the campfire below and the goblins sneaking up out from the rocks above. Very very cool.

Actually all of the art I have seen so far from the covers of the 5e books etc. has all been very impressive.

Remove ads