D&D 5E Starter Set: Excerpt 6

A Plane glide because it has wings, which a PC doesn't have. Something flying (or actually just aloft) when the flying wears off should fall, either directly vertically. There is no momentum of movement in D&D, between turns you don't retain any movement....

I understand the ''grace period'' and my gripe is not so much about the effect but when it takes place. That ''grace period"" should be within the potions effect, not after it wears off. To be clear, when the potion's efect wears off, you are under no magic effect anymore....hence the illogicalness...

Except that the magic just has a 1 minute feather fall effect programmed into it, because having a fly spell that stops suddenly is a bit dangerous, don´t you think? I do however concede, that a dispell magic should work on the grace period to make you fall immediately.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
A Plane glide because it has wings, which a PC doesn't have. Something flying (or actually just aloft) when the flying wears off should fall, either directly vertically. There is no momentum of movement in D&D, between turns you don't retain any movement....

I understand the ''grace period'' and my gripe is not so much about the effect but when it takes place. That ''grace period"" should be within the potions effect, not after it wears off. To be clear, when the potion's efect wears off, you are under no magic effect anymore....hence the illogicalness...
Ok, bad analogy on my part. I still like the effect. Try this one. The controlled part of the flying potion ends at 1 hour. But it takes another minute for the potion to entirely wear off. (Thus "wear off" not "abruptly end")

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Except that the magic just has a 1 minute feather fall effect programmed into it, because having a fly spell that stops suddenly is a bit dangerous, don´t you think? I do however concede, that a dispell magic should work on the grace period to make you fall immediately.
But the potion of flying doesn't trigger a feather fall contingency, it says: ''If the potion wears off while you’re flying and nothing else is holding you aloft, you must use your movement to descend. If you fail to land before 1 minute passes, you fall'' which uses your movement but only for 1 minute before falling.

For exemple, what happens if you cannot use your movement to descend because your speed is 0 due to restraint or paralyzation? You stay aloft? That seems illogical to me.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I'll go along with you on this.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
But the potion of flying doesn't trigger a feather fall contingency, it says: ''If the potion wears off while you’re flying and nothing else is holding you aloft, you must use your movement to descend. If you fail to land before 1 minute passes, you fall'' which uses your movement but only for 1 minute before falling.

For exemple, what happens if you cannot use your movement to descend because your speed is 0 due to restraint or paralyzation? You stay aloft? That seems illogical to me.
Why not? If you can't regain mobility within that minute, you then fall. Might be kind of hard to get help up there. It's up to you what happens if the target dies while aloft. Does the potion effect abruptly end with death, or does everyone stand around trying to figure out how to get the balloon down?

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
It doesn't give the hover trait like some flying ability have, so you should fall if knocked prone or unconscious.

Hover: The beholder cannot be knocked prone. It continues to hover even when stunned or knocked unconscious.

Even the fly spell doesn't have such aftereffect. (You fall at start of your next turn which even if not immediate makes more sense than 1 minute later IMHO)

Last edited:

Grazzt

Demon Lord
[MENTION=77]Talath[/MENTION] I tried to xp you again. Alas, it will be a while.

Since they're letting PCs identify potions by taste, I wish they'd come up with what they all taste like.

Now I'll have to develop that myself.

Thaumaturge.

Or grab a copy of the 1e DMG. There were tables in there for scent, taste, and color I believe. (Not specifically geared toward potions but they were used for that easily enough.)

Remathilis

Legend
So rust monsters can no longer eat magical armor?

Considering how rare, wondrous and special magical items are (seriously, check out the organized play info on magic items!) I'm ok with them being nigh-indestructible. Makes more sense than "destroyed, but they poop out an item one plus less"

Players will probably have mundane items to worry about when rusty come acallin'

Remove ads