D&D 5E Starter Set: Excerpt 6

Wrathamon

Adventurer
accept now we are going to have players using Str as their dump stat to use a strength item...

I think maybe 19 Strength or +2 strength whichever gives you the better value.

so everyone can use it and get some benefit.

AD&D it was getting the mythical 18(00) str which was a lot better statistically then 18.

A 19 str isnt as awesome as the 18 (00) since its the same as an 18

Klaus

First Post
accept now we are going to have players using Str as their dump stat to use a strength item...

I think maybe 19 Strength or +2 strength whichever gives you the better value.

so everyone can use it and get some benefit.

AD&D it was getting the mythical 18(00) str which was a lot better statistically then 18.

A 19 str isnt as awesome as the 18 (00) since its the same as an 18

And how would they get one? Magic items in 5e are strictly the purview of the DM, so players shouldn't build characters predicated on finding this or that item.

Wrathamon

Adventurer
And how would they get one? Magic items in 5e are strictly the purview of the DM, so players shouldn't build characters predicated on finding this or that item.

because I traded for it in Adventure's league play?

The DM is playing with crafting modules?

Cause DMs wants to hand out iconic D&D magic items, and it seems silly that is should go to the weakest character in the group.

Klaus

First Post
because I traded for it in Adventure's league play?

The DM is playing with crafting modules?

Cause DMs wants to hand out iconic D&D magic items, and it seems silly that is should go to the weakest character in the group.

Those don't seem likely to influence character creation.

And let's say the weakest character in the group got a pair of Gauntlets of Ogre Power. What would he do with it? If it's a wizard, all this means is that the wizard can now swing a quarterstaff with +4 to hit and damage. Still less damage than most cantrips, and with less range (the wizard still has low AC and hp). If it goes to a Str 8 halfling rogue, the 19 Str is wasted in all those finesse attacks the rogue makes to gain sneak attack.

I *could* see a Str 8 cleric or archer Fighter benefitting from it somewhat (but the archer probably had finesse weapons already, so all he's doing is trade one weapon for another).

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Those don't seem likely to influence character creation.

And let's say the weakest character in the group got a pair of Gauntlets of Ogre Power. What would he do with it? If it's a wizard, all this means is that the wizard can now swing a quarterstaff with +4 to hit and damage.

Would also mean the wizard has to wade into melee combat to attack. Not usually the greatest of ideas.

Remove ads