D&D General Starting PC age? [poll]

Have you played new PCs at an older age? (in human terms)

• Almost never. My PCs are almost always young adult (17-20ish)

Votes: 20 30.3%
  • Once or twice, at middle age

Votes: 10 15.2%
  • Once or twice, at older age (50+)

Votes: 9 13.6%
  • Fairly often, at middle age

Votes: 17 25.8%
  • Fairly often, at older age (50+)

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Special lemonade, I'll explain

Votes: 7 10.6%

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Almost always young adults.

But not always 17-20-ish.

It all depends on the race.

Dwarf: 40+ 5d6
Elf: 100+ 5d6
Gnome: 60+ 3d12
Half-Elf: 15+ 1d6
Halfling: 20+ 3d4
Human: 15+ 1d4

So the age can be anywhere between 16 and 130 years.
We use a similar random roll, though the range is (much!) greater:

Dwarf: 38 + 2d50
Elf: 140 + 4d100 (slight variances for different Elf types)
Gnome: 60 + 2d100
Part-Elf: somewhere between Human and Elf, depending how Elvish you are (1/8 to 7/8)
Part-Orc: somewhat lower than Human depending how Orcish you are (again 1/8 to 7/8)
Hobbit: 25 + 2d20
Human: 15 + 2d8

Then on top of that you add a number of years based on your class(es) to account for the time you spent learning the skills; this ranges from 0 (Fighter) to 10 years (Bard), meaning a Human Bard who rolls high on the 2d8 can start out in its 40s. These numbers are trivial to most but noticeable for Humans and even more so for Part Orcs.

Your Halflings (Hobbits) are all young 'uns: the highest your table allows for them is 32 yet Hobbits "come of age" at 33 much like a Human (in some cultures/countries) does at 21.

I typically create PCs in the prime of life: 25-40.

If we're looking at spellcasters, they take many years to learn their crafts. I'd assume many didn't start studying until age 14 to 19, so 25 seems a reasonable time for a novice wizard or newly minted cleric to venture into the world.

Then there are PCs who take to the life of adventuring after a dramatic life reversal or tragedy (ie town overrun by orcs.). Druid sets off on the road at age 42 after family slain by werewolves seems a perfectly appropriate history.

As for what a 30 or 40 year old adventurer was doing in the world before adventuring, are we forgetting about backgrounds? Or do people assume their PC with the town guard or blacksmith background only worked for a few years as a teenager before setting off to raid tombs and smite evil?

Last edited:

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
It's kinda funny how we have most of our PCs at younger ages (even at higher levels) when we have many examples of older fantasy heroes, and not just wizards

Gandalf
Most of the dwarves were middle aged or older in the Hobbit, including Gimli (139 with a lifespan of 200 years for dwarves)
Boramir (41)
The Hound (GoT) 42 (and several other GoT characters)
Remus Lupin (38)
Adoulla Mahkslood (60)
Fflewddr fflam (50s?)
Conan the Barbarian
Thom Merrilin (50s-60s)
Harry Dresden (39 and still active)
Barak (middle aged at least)
And I'm sure many more I'm not remembering off the top of my head

In fairness for Harry Dresden each book is set roughly one year apart, with a few notable exceptions, so when Harry started he was in his late 20s. In D&D parlance he's definitely not a first level character any more.

Sacrosanct

Legend
In fairness for Harry Dresden each book is set roughly one year apart, with a few notable exceptions, so when Harry started he was in his late 20s. In D&D parlance he's definitely not a first level character any more.

True, but I'm not just talking about starting age. As mentioned upthread, it doesn't take much in game time to get to high level. So in D&D, even high level adventurers are still in their early 20s. How many level 10+ PCs are middled aged or older? Probably not much different of a ratio than 1st level PCs. However, we have lots of middle aged active adventurers in fantasy media.

MarkB

Legend
Also, wizards in the Dresdenverse are naturally long-lived (barring misadventure), so growing old is not a concern Harry's going to be facing anytime soon.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I wouldn't consider 25-35 middle aged, and my frequency is definitely between once and fairly often, so...special lemonade it is.

Anyway, my current gnome rogue is 36, which is young in terms of total lifespan, but he's been an adult for almost 20 years at this point. That's the thing about longer lived races. Just because they live to 500 years old doesn't mean 100 years is "young" in the same way that 20 is young for humans. A 100 year old elf may be considered barely an adult in some elf societies, but they've been physically and mentally a grown adult for 80 years or so.

A 20 year old gnome is an adult, and has the full rights of an adult, they just aren't socially expected to settle down and raise a family and focus on a career until they're around 40.

That rant aside, I also have a Goliath Fighter who is a guard in waterdeep who is in his 40's. On the other end of the spectrum I have a human 14 year old street kid in a Star Wars campaign, and a Feywild based 4e campaign we had I played a late teens female satyr bard.

I don't consider middle aged folks to need some special reason to go adventuring, though, and I don't assume that most adventurers are "college aged". It's a wild world, with plenty of calls to adventure. I've played middle aged characters who send money back home to their family and spend downtime with them whenever possible, and I've had concepts I haven't gotten to play where my middle aged character was adventuring with his spouse or one of his kids.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
True, but I'm not just talking about starting age. As mentioned upthread, it doesn't take much in game time to get to high level. So in D&D, even high level adventurers are still in their early 20s. How many level 10+ PCs are middled aged or older? Probably not much different of a ratio than 1st level PCs. However, we have lots of middle aged active adventurers in fantasy media.

True.

I like that in Adventures in MIddle-earth it's assumed that there is significant downtime between Adventures. The Mirkwood campaign spans 30+ years. Enough that Human character could long have since retired before reaching the end. Also Enough that I can really justify 19 level increases.

Remove ads