• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Starting up a Monsters & Other Childish Things game. Suggestions?

KiloGex

First Post
I'm about to start up a Monsters & Other Childish Things game, but reading through all of my materials it seems that campaigns aren't quite like the usual D&D fair. In fact, I haven't been able to find a "this is a M&OTC campaign" but rather "this are the materials you can use to create a campaign" and it is slightly frustrating. I don't particularly enjoy going into a brand new system with a custom campaign. Can anyone throw out some names that I can grab?

Crothian

First Post
The game focuses on the kids. and their monsters. So I would start with describing the kid of setting you want. Are the kids in suburbia, rural, or a city environment? Then focus your description on the setting from the view point of an 8 year old (or whatever the age of the kids are you are playing). That can be difficult because kids see the world in a very different way from adults.

Then I'd go through character creation and see what kinds of kids and monsters you get. I'd work with the players to define their parents and family but wouldn't allow the players to pick their own family. Give it some conflict and make some challenges in the family life.

The kids would all know each other through school or living in the same neighborhood, so figure that out. Then describe the school, define some bullies, teachers, creepy janitor, and wild monsters and other kids with monsters. The more prep work and things you define ahead of time makes the game run better imo. Then start the players on a normal day of school and let the shenanigans begin.

KiloGex

First Post
Then start the players on a normal day of school and let the shenanigans begin.

That's actually a pretty good idea. I think I need a little more of a sandbox feel to this game then a regimented campaign. Not my most comfortable game type for a first-run but with enough prep, hopefully it'll do.

Crothian

First Post
That's actually a pretty good idea. I think I need a little more of a sandbox feel to this game then a regimented campaign. Not my most comfortable game type for a first-run but with enough prep, hopefully it'll do.

You do have the advantage of the school day to make it regimented. Just have a few classes then recess, a few more classes, then lunch and recess, classes then afternoon recess, and then classes and then school day over. Or use whatever formula for elementary school classes you want. Instead of it being site based adventure it can be a time based adventure because in school everything is based on the different bells that signal class changes.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
And there's all kinds of (old) sourcebooks for "teens in school" campaigns- mostly for supers games, but that's just a matter of reskinning.

Also, reading some PS238 might be inspirational (again, supers in school, but with younger kids).

Is the tip one you're seeking light-hearted or dark?

Last edited:

KiloGex

First Post
Is the tip one you're seeking light-hearted or dark?

Well, I'm looking for this to be a complete one-off and kind of a break from our usual D&D fair, so most likely something a little more light-hearted and joking than a deep and dark romp through the shadow-verse.

I'm also going to look through PS238 - This looks like it could provide some good ideas!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads