Stat this up # 2

Cleon

Legend
that's kinda what I was thinking :)

So a "heat haze" effect that works like the blur spell? i.e. a 20% concealment. Maybe let it give it a bonus on Hide too.

Can it blur itself at the same time as combusting its tail, or must it switch from one manifestation of its fire-foxiness to another?

Anyhow, it looks like we have enough to update the Foxdragon Working Draft.

Cleon

Legend
Anyhow, it looks like we have enough to update the Foxdragon Working Draft.

I've put the following in the Working Draft as rough drafts for the two special abilities we've thought of so far:

Burn (Ex): A foxdragon's tail attack deals bludgeoning damage plus fire damage from the creature's fiery tail. Those hit by a foxdragon's tail attack also must succeed on a DC X Reflex save or catch on fire. The flame burns for 1d4 rounds. A burning creature can take a move action to put out the flame. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Heat Haze (Ex): A foxdragon can heat the air surrounding it to bend and blur light, making it difficult to surmise the creature's true location. Any melee or ranged attack directed at it has a 20% miss chance unless the attacker can locate the beast by some means other than sight. A see invisibility spell does not counteract this effect, but a true seeing allows the user to see the foxdragon's position.

We've got a couple of important questions to settle next.

How many Hit Dice do we give it? I'm thinking 2 Hit Dice like a Pseudodragon rather than 1 HD like a Fox.

Land speed 40 ft. like a Fox, plus fly 60 ft. (good) like a Pseudodragon? I reckon this thing ought to have supernatural flight - that's a common ability for "Oriental" type D&D dragons.

What damage for the bite and tail. 1d4 for the bite (like a Fox) and 1d3 for the tail (like a Pseudodragon's sting) plus either 1d4 fire (like a Small Fire Elemental) or 1d3 fire (the "next size down" from a Small Fire Elemental's damage)?

Last edited:

Nookie

Explorer
I say 2 HD, 40ft and fly 60ft (good) maybe perfect sense its magical flight, the Damages all look good for the attack line sense its tiny i think a d3 fire damage is ok.

I think it should be able to use both.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Cleon, why is some of your text a different color? In the Legacy skin, I have to highlight it to read it.

Anyway, I agree with Nookie on all counts.

Cleon

Legend
Cleon, why is some of your text a different color? In the Legacy skin, I have to highlight it to read it.

Which post # is it you're having trouble with? Should be easy enough to fix.

Most likely my browser inserted some font tags I didn't want when some text got copy-pasted. It looks fine using the Enworld default browser, so I'll only notice the problem if I switch to legacy style or look at the post in "Source Mode".

Anyway, I agree with Nookie on all counts.

So you're agreeing to Nookie's agreement with me?

Updating the Foxdragon Working Draft.

Cleon

Legend
fly 60ft (good) maybe perfect sense its magical flight.

Since we've agreed on magical flight I put in the Flight (Su) descriptor or the Yeth Hound.

Alternatively, we could use a modification of the Ha-Naga version:

Flight (Su): As per the fly spell, 120 ft. (perfect). This ability gives the ha-naga a +6 circumstance bonus on Move Silently checks.

Alternatively, there's the Beholder version:

Flight (Ex): A beholder's body is naturally buoyant. This buoyancy allows it to fly at a speed of 20 feet. This buoyancy also grants it a permanent feather fall effect (as the spell) with personal range.

Hmm, I like the Ha-Naga ability's Move Silently bonus. Seems fitting for a sneaky animal like a fox.

How about:

Flight (Su): As per the fly spell. The foxdragon can cease of resume flight as a free action. This ability gives the foxdragon a +6 [or different no.?] circumstance bonus on Move Silently checks.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
It's post number 42 with the problems, interestingly.

Well, I had thought you'd also asked Nookie a question or two, but, yes, I was generally in agreement with all of it.

I think you need "cease or resume flight" rather than "cease of resume." I also like the ha-naga version. The +6 bonus would be ok, but I think I am slightly happier with +4 given that these are unlikely to be as powerful as a ha-naga. :p

Cleon

Legend
It's post number 42 with the problems, interestingly.

I'll have a look at the source tags. Should be easy enough to fix.

I think you need "cease or resume flight" rather than "cease of resume." I also like the ha-naga version. The +6 bonus would be ok, but I think I am slightly happier with +4 given that these are unlikely to be as powerful as a ha-naga. :p

Strange, I'm sure I just copy-and-pasted the "cease or resume flight" line from the Working Draft. Must be that tricksy fox changing the "r" to an "f".

60ft (perfect) +4 sounds good to me.

I'm more in favour of 60 ft. (good) like a fly spell. Does it need better aerial manoeuvrability than a Pseudodragon?

Remove ads