• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E State of D&D

aramis erak

Legend
Well, I guess that would be a decent release schedule, but it just seems slower than that. Has it been 16 months? What's the "small to medium" book, the Sword Coast? I still think that's a bit anemic, but I'm willing to see how it goes. Two books a year would be ideal I think, but I would really like to see some short module support. Surely a few adventure paths running over the course of the year should be doable, no? Maybe 3x a year, release 1 part of a 3-module adventure? That's where a lot of our great memories come from, modules. The adventure league stuff I'm not really counting. It's not a bad thing, but that's not what I'm looking for.

PF has a TON of module support...and thankfully, I can covert pretty easily ;oD

The other one was the Elemental Evil Player's Guide; it's subsetted from the Elemental Evil big module, where it's an appendix. Which said PDF was made available PoD. And which said PoD several FLGSs ordered several and put them on the shelf... it's the small one. SCAG is medium.

aramis erak

Legend
Paizo does sell the pathfinder society modules. Something I wish WotC could find a way to do. However Paizo has said that they lose money on them anyway, chalk it up to a marketing expense.

WotC hasn't said they won't eventually rerelease the smaller adventures. Each season would make a good pair of hardbacks (They typically run 20-30 pages, with all indicia, and 3 of those are pretty much boiler plate that wouldn't need to be included multiple times, and 3-5 are typically monster stats, which usually aren't different from the MM version, but aren't in the DMBR).

It WOULD need relayout, because of the issues with duplication.

Corpsetaker

First Post
I just looked on the Paizo website and they are still doing modules because the next one is set for February. The one previous to that, House on Hook Street, sells for 17.99 and you get the PDF for free when you are a subscriber.

Rhenny

Adventurer
This current generation of D&D has led to all kinds of people who before weren't into TTRPGs joining the hobby. D&D is 100% on the rise.

Welcome to the forum!

New poster, shows that D&D may be pulling in more people who not have been part of the hobby/game prior to this. Or making some more active in the community. That's a good sign.

Corpsetaker

First Post
There aren't as many people hating on it, for one thing. For another, it's actively trying to embrace and evoke past editions rather than 'fix' them.
It's just a more positive attitude.

Sure about that? Looks to me like lots of people have actually left and embraced past editions and have given up on forums. Before the Wizards forum closed, there wasn't that many people hanging around. Nothing like the 3rd and 4th edition eras.

Seems like a lot less voices out there to give an opinion.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Sure about that?
That there are fewer folks hating on it? Yeah, pretty sure. (Less sure about the other two since I'm drawing conclusions about what Mearls &co are thinking.) Look at the forums: less hate, less baseless criticism, but still plenty of interest. Heck there's more anti-4e edition warring going on, still, than anti-5e.

Looks to me like lots of people have actually left and embraced past editions and have given up on forums.
That's quite a conclusion to jump to: Far fewer people are criticizing the game, therefore no one likes it?

It is a 'net truism that negative threads are a lot bigger than positive ones. A somewhat quieter forum would indicate acceptance rather than rejection.

Before the Wizards forum closed, there wasn't that many people hanging around. Nothing like the 3rd and 4th edition eras.
When there was a lot of vicious criticism flying around, yes.

Seems like a lot less voices out there to give an opinion.
Morrus claims he's still getting a lot of traffic, even before WotC bowed out of the forum non-business.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
That there are fewer folks hating on it? Yeah, pretty sure. (Less sure about the other two since I'm drawing conclusions about what Mearls &co are thinking.) Look at the forums: less hate, less baseless criticism, but still plenty of interest. Heck there's more anti-4e edition warring going on, still, than anti-5e.

It is a lot less controversial for a start, anything that does not test well gets cut and no one true way forced on gamers. So what is there to hate on other then a glacially slow Forgotten Realms heavy release schedule?

Remove ads