Statistics of D&D [3.5]

I'm currently a MSc in Stats student at Colorado state. In my spare time, I like to analyze the statistics/mathematics of D&D 3.5.

I was curious about the data set you obtained for your Trail Blazer: New Horizons book, would I be able to get a copy of it? If so, do you have larger more detailed data set (i.e. with touch ACs, flatfood ACs, saves disagregated between will, reflex and fortitude etc etc) ?

Also, I'm not exactly looking for work, but if you would like to hire me for some statistical analysis of something that would be ok too.

thanks and regards,

HEaven's thunder Hammer.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
I'm currently a MSc in Stats student at Colorado state. In my spare time, I like to analyze the statistics/mathematics of D&D 3.5.

I was curious about the data set you [used], would I be able to get a copy of it?

My data set is simply compiled from an SRD database that I ported into Excel. You can find those files here, for example:

Andargor's Home

The data cells you'll get from this conversion are going to contain text data. For example, the AC column looks like this:

15 (+4 Dex, +1 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 11

Now you'll need to do as I did, and extract that text data into a new, number-sortable column.

Ditto for hit points/Hit Dice, Saving Throws, Ability Scores, etc.

Getting the data into a usable format represents a LOT of work. If you can work in other data formats (XML?), you might be able to create some scripts to automate the process of extracting the numerical data from text data.

Also, I'm not exactly looking for work, but if you would like to hire me for some statistical analysis of something that would be ok too.

Well I'm certainly curious to see what might emerge from your analysis.

Hey there,

Thanks for the reply!

Now, quick question for you, I'm guessing the SRD monster info only contains stuff from the MM1? Or does it contain more then that??

I'll probably have to see if I can write a SQL script to parse the info, that's the only data mining language I know. or R, but then I might kill myself trying to find the documentation for the stupid language.

edit: I guess I'm downloading one of the SQL/Access files that contains everything??

Last edited:

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
I'm guessing the SRD monster info only contains stuff from the MM1? Or does it contain more than that??

I contains everything that was released as Open Content. (You need to know what that means.)

That would be most (but not all) of the monsters from MM1, Epic Level Handbook, and some Psionics stuff.

My own analysis does not include anything other than the MM1.

edit: I guess I'm downloading one of the SQL/Access files that contains everything??

Yep. But IIRC, inside the zip file, the various "components" are split up into their own files-- monsters, spells, classes, etc. Poke around in there and see what it looks like.

Remove ads