• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stats at Character creation

Arkhandus

First Post
Seems cool to me.

I always use a reasonably generous rolling method or point-buy fallback for my groups. 5d6 drop lowest 2 and arrange to taste, or 4d6 7 times drop lowest die each time and drop lowest score, or similar. Usually a 35 or 40 point buy fallback for those who don't want to roll or get a terrible or very subpar set of rolls compared to the rest of the group.

Jules, a jungle elf barbarian (alter multiclassed into shaman from OA), in my Rhunaria campaign had actually rolled a set of ability scores very close to the set you posted. I don't think he had a single stat below 14, and he had several scores of 16+, with one or two 18s, before adjustments for race. Generally if any PC rolled ability scores with a total ability modifier half as good as Jules', or worse, I'd let them re-roll since it was obvious they would be totally outclassed by him and other PCs in play.

But then, I prefer to play and DM for characters that are actually heroic in ability, not losers trying desperately, in vain, to achieve greatness despite their pathetic or barely-talented capabilities. I can suck at stuff in real life, I shouldn't have to put up with my character in a heroic fantasy game sucking too.

Arkhandus

First Post
That said, I don't mind playing characters that have flaws or weaknesses. I just don't want the weakness to be the entire friggin' character or their defining trait: just how sucky they are.

I've never really played a character before with all-around good stats, anyway.

awayfarer

First Post
For my Eberron game I did something a little peculiar and made it a 25 point buy but with all attributes starting at 10. The idea is that the PC's were the best candidates to join an special forces group and I wanted the stats to reflect a group with few or no flaws.

It's worked, thus far they're steamrolling over encounters. It's fun for me because I know I have a durable crew and can throw really mean stuff at them. :)

Nellisir

Hero
I dropped the scores and just use modifiers (a la True20); all stats start at 0; characters get 8 pnts to distribute how they like.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads