D&D 5E Stealth for the Ranger

Springheel

First Post
I'm trying to come up with a spell-less ranger that I like. To me, the ability to hide in the wilderness has always been a key skill of the Ranger that is missing in a lot of the spell-less rangers I've seen. I'd like to replace Hide in Plain Sight and Pass Without Trace with the following. Anyone see any obvious problems, exploits, contradictions, etc?

Hunter's Blind

Beginning at 2nd level, you can spend 1 minute creating a small, camouflaged shelter for yourself, as long as you have access to fresh mud, dirt, plants, snow, soot, or other suitable natural materials in the immediate area that you can cover yourself with.

Once you are fully covered, you may roll a Dexterity (Stealth) check to hide. As long as you remain inside the camouflage, any ability checks to detect you roll with disadvantage, and you are considered heavily obscured to anyone more than 10 feet away, even when in plain sight. You lose all benefits of the camouflage if you move from the shelter or engage in melee combat with an opponent. Making a missile weapon attack does not negate the benefits of being heavily obscured, though it does reveal your location.

As soon as you lose the benefit of your camouflage, you must spend another minute recreating it to gain the benefits again.

The camouflage does not interfere with your ability to see and hear approaching creatures.

You can use this skill to camouflage other objects or even other creatures. Creatures other than yourself gain the benefits of the camouflage only if they remain completely motionless. If they move or take an action, voluntarily or otherwise, the benefit is lost.

At 6th level, you can spend 1 minute to create a mobile camouflage suit. You must have access to fresh, natural materials from the immediate area such as mud, dirt, plants, or soot to cover your skin and clothes. As long as you are camouflaged, anyone attempting to detect you by sight rolls with disadvantage, even if you are moving. Any time you attempt to hide, you automatically gain the benefits of having a camouflage shelter; you are considered heavily obscured to anyone more than 10 feet away, even when in plain sight, as long as you don't move or make a melee attack.

If you leave the immediate area or take a short rest, the benefit of your camouflage is lost until you spend time creating it again.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
The suit seems too strong to me. Why wouldn't you do this at the end of every short rest? And it provides a huge benefit. Though perhaps I don't understand very well how you mean it to work.

The shelter part seems more reasonable to me. Providing heavy obscured is quite strong but the immobility makes it seem more balanced.

Springheel

First Post
The suit seems too strong to me. Why wouldn't you do this at the end of every short rest?

You probably would, but it only works if you remain in the immediate area. And it doesn't work at all if you're in a city, indoors, or underground (I don't allow underdark rangers). A 6th level rogue who specializes in stealth gets an extra +3 to all stealth rolls, anywhere. Rangers force disadvantage (equal to -5) only in certain situations. That seemed fair to me.

Last edited:

discosoc

First Post
This doesn't really seem much like a "ranger" to me, tbh. It's more like a military scout or something, in which case you'd be better off creating another specialization for the rogue class.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
You probably would, but it only works if you remain in the immediate area. And it doesn't work at all if you're in a city, indoors, or underground (I don't allow underdark rangers).
Neither of those restrictions seem clear from your writeup?
A 6th level rogue who specializes in stealth gets an extra +3 to all stealth rolls, anywhere. Rangers force disadvantage (equal to -5) only in certain situations. That seemed fair to me.
Getting heavily obscured means anyone attacking you from range gets disadvantage no matter your stealth roll, and you have advantage against them. That's quite a bit better than +3 to stealth.

Receiving heavy obscurement, to me, implies that you're wearing a thicket or a fog bank. I don't think it's the appropriate mechanic for the effect of a camouflage suit.

Springheel

First Post
To me, a "military scout" is exactly what a ranger should be. Obviously opinions vary, which is why there are half a dozen different versions.

Getting heavily obscured means anyone attacking you from range gets disadvantage no matter your stealth roll, and you have advantage against them. That's quite a bit better than +3 to stealth.

You only get the bonus of being heavily obscured if you don't move and the person is more than 10' away from you. Useful for ambushes, not so useful for combat.

Remove ads