Steambleh

haiiro

First Post
(No spoilers in my post, just opinions on the movie. ;))

I went and saw Steamboy with my girlfriend last night, and overall I found it to be really disappointing. I don't usually post just to gripe, but since I'm generally a huge Otomo fan I was surprised at this one.

It was dubbed, which is never a good start -- that made a huge difference in my enjoyment of the movie. Even Patrick Stewart didn't help, and most of the voices were either annoying to listen to or devoid of any real acting, or both. On top of that, I don't know if the dialogue is lousy in Japanese as well, but in English it was trite, crappy and a major turn-off. :\

I wasn't expecting much of a story, which was good since there isn't much of one. ;) The visuals were stunning in places -- particularly the last fifteen minutes or so -- but in others they lacked some of the punch of Akira or Spriggan (for example). Definitely the best thing about the movie, though.

I don't feel like I wasted my money, and I actually think a second viewing with subtitles would be more enjoyable -- but given how excited I was to see this, it was pretty meh.

Has anyone else here seen it yet? If so, what did you think?

Capellan

Explorer
I was also disappointed. I found the accents in the voice-acting rather overdone and distracting, and the story was pretty slight. Weird character development, too - without going into spoilers, I thought that both Eddie and Scarlett's role and actions in the story made little sense.

Kesh

First Post
That's basically what the newspaper review here in Hawaii said: The movie looks really good, but has no story and the voice-acting is mediocre.

I'll pass.

Remove ads