• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stephen Schubert's Latest Post-- anybody buy it?

Quartz

Hero
epochrpg said:
I just read the post by Stephen Schubert on the news page here, and it made me want to laugh. "we're not showing details yet because their not ready and we may change things, blah , blah, excuse, justification, blah".

I think you're being rather premature.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
hong said:
Wait, what? There's a new version of Talisman? As in, the board game?
It released in the US yesterday, Friday Oct. 5. And they are moving fast.

BTW, it is not supposed to be a limited edition this time around.

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
Something just came to me last night that may explain a few things: A lot of the info we got in the early days of the 3E announcement and Eric Noah's site was not coming from WotC. If memory serves me correctly, there were several playtesters on rec.games.frp.dnd (and probably elsewhere) who were somewhat garrulous about the new edition once the announcement came out. Perhaps this circumstance explains something of the apparent lack of information now compared to that time eight years ago.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I got my copy of the new edition at Mind Games in Melbourne on Saturday 29th September. :) (aus$77)

Cheers!

howandwhy99

Adventurer
In the 21st century market, not publishing for a few months or generating profit during that time, means toying with company death.

These products will have very short utility lives, but they mean published product sent to the retail world and at least a minimal profit.

No, I'm not going to buy them, but enough will to make it both a profitable and smart idea. They are actually profiting and banking on their own future product hype.

Gwathlas

First Post
Reaper Steve said:
Just because info was free 8 years ago doesn't mean it has to stay that way.

It costs money to make games...I'd venture to say that 4E will be the most expensive to produce RPG ever...what's wrong with them recouping some of their investment?

There will be free previews.
There will be more preview info available for purchase. If you don't want to purchase it...you'll still get all the info you need to play when the game is published.

But I am inclined to agree that WotC is intentionally avoiding coming out and saying 'we want to charge for previews this time.'

So greed is good and change for greeds sake is good?

jollyninja

First Post
yeah, bout those black pages. As I recall all we really knew about 3e at this point in 1999 was that attack bonuses went up and that ac also went up. I don't think we had even seen skurge dwarfbane yet. We know a fair bit more as far as things that are not going to be there then we did then. no 1d6 per level fireballs, players don't roll saves ect...

and we have been learning a lot about the new edition. apparently dragons can crit with dragon breath, easily presumable that spells will be able to crit as well. no more crit confirmation rolls, roll a 20, it's a crit.

they're not telling us the specifics because it would be stupid of them to do so. If i knew how to play fourth edition before it came out, why would I buy it? loyalty? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

bag of dwarf heads as a sap, still makes me smile.

jollyninja

First Post
Lorthanoth said:
He's not saying that at all. Why does the 4E 'hate' often turn to hyperbole?
because hatred of something you have never even seen is seldom able to be rationally argued from a logical perspective.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads