• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sticking w/ 3.5: Any Publishers?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
As someone who's not ready to give up on 3.5 products, I'm glad they'll be more PDF-centric now. I've largely run out of room for physical books anyway, so it's nice to have things in electronic format, since I carry my laptop around with me most of the time anyway.

lmpjr007

Explorer
Louis Porter Jr. Design will be producting 3.5 for 2008 and the future. Personally, I feel that getting people to pay for a "new" game system just because "they didn't generate the expect amount of revenue" (whatever that amount was?) for the product is NOT a good reason. 3.5 is a GOOD, SOLID GAME SYSTEM FOR FREE that a lot of people supported because they LOVE D20, the OGL and D&D. This new update seems like a change just for them to sell PHD, DMG and MM to people who have already bought them before.

Filcher

First Post
This is awesome, and exactly the sort of thing I was hoping for. I know I'm only one consumer, and where Wizards goes the industry follows, yadda, yadda, but you guys just secured my gaming budget for 2008. The market is smaller, but so are the numbers of competitors.

(By the by, I own all the previous Blackmoor material and am eagerly looking forward to City of the Gods, whenever it is released, regardless of the medium, by Code Monkey Publishing. :) )

GMSkarka

Explorer
As was correctly pointed out, traditional store distribution will not touch 3.5 any longer, so PDF are really the only ones who are still an option.

The best way to convince PDF publishers to continue 3.5 releases is to pick up the 3.5 stuff they've already got for sale, that you might have missed the first time around.

Most publishers (myself included) have seen our 3.5 sales drop off to almost non-existant since the 4th Edition announcement. An uptick in sales would go a long way towards showing us that there is still a market out there interested in 3.5.

Jus' sayin. :)

KaosDevice

Explorer
I wonder how much backward migration the PDF publishers will see from people that check out 4E, decide it isn't what they want and go back to 3.5.

Aus_Snow

First Post
There are things fundamentally based on 3e or d20 Modern, and in some cases alternatives to same, that will continue to be supported for far longer (than 'for 3e' or 'for d20 Modern' products,) I suspect.

So. . . Mutants & Masterminds, Spycraft, True20, Conan. . . I'm sure there are others, too (. . . ?)

Erik Mona

Adventurer
GMSkarka said:
Most publishers (myself included) have seen our 3.5 sales drop off to almost non-existant since the 4th Edition announcement.

I've heard this from a lot of quarters, but in the interest of providing a full picture, I've got to report that Paizo's sales have not seen significant drops since the 4.0 announcement.

Lest anyone get the idea that there's no market for 3.5 material, I'm here to tell you that it simply isn't true.

--Erik

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Aus_Snow said:
There are things fundamentally based on 3e or d20 Modern, and in some cases alternatives to same, that will continue to be supported for far longer (than 'for 3e' or 'for d20 Modern' products,) I suspect.

So. . . Mutants & Masterminds, Spycraft, True20, Conan. . . I'm sure there are others, too (. . . ?)
I am rather looking forward to the FantasyCraft supplement for Spycraft, which in Theory (a lovely country, I'd like to visit it some day) is due out in May.

The Auld Grump, hoping to see it come July....

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads