Still Searching for "That" System

Retreater

Legend
As I posted in another thread (https://www.enworld.org/threads/what-game-systems-do-you-have.699515/), I have close to 60 different game systems. I'm still looking for a system that will fit the unique needs of my group.
Can you help find my Goldilocks system?

• Survivable – you’re not going to die to a single hit from a kobold at 1st level [this cuts out most OSR systems]
  • Interesting Options – you can do more than swing a sword or cast one spell (if you want to interact with the game that way) [this also cuts out most OSR systems]
  • Easy to learn – you don’t need to perfect your tactics, count on your fingers to hit elevated numbers in the mid-20s (with always altering numbers) [Pathfinder, 4e, etc., are cut here]
  • Good GM tools – encounter building that works, possibly good adventures/settings [cutting out 5e]

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Are published adventures/settings a necessity? I ask because that tends to push the games into D&D-like territory, although obviously exceptions exist.

Out of games I'm familiar with, my first instinct would be Fabula Ultima. Character creation is straightforward but has a lot of options, and combat is somewhat tactical but not overly amenable to powergaming.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I've mentioned this before, so I will say it again.

Run some FKR or rules-lite games. There are a ton, and they cover any every genre and interest. And if you don't like what you see, make your own (I've done this a number of times, and it usually doesn't take that long).

Its great to take a breather, have a good time, and get yourself and your group refreshed and recharged and reinvigorated.

Personally, I love campaigns. I love zero-to-hero. But if you've been doing it for a while, give yourself a break. Instead of all the stress and aggravation of trying to find the next perfect system to run a long campaign, just try out a few things to run for limited periods of time, and have some fun. Get back in touch with the fun, before starting up another long commitment.

Hear me now and believe me later - long-running campaigns are great. But before you dive into yet another system to use for a long time, try getting back to the essence of why we all do this ... having fun. Sometimes, it's good to get in touch with that. :)

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
As I posted in another thread (https://www.enworld.org/threads/what-game-systems-do-you-have.699515/), I have close to 60 different game systems. I'm still looking for a system that will fit the unique needs of my group.
Can you help find my Goldilocks system?

• Survivable – you’re not going to die to a single hit from a kobold at 1st level [this cuts out most OSR systems]
  • Interesting Options – you can do more than swing a sword or cast one spell (if you want to interact with the game that way) [this also cuts out most OSR systems]
  • Easy to learn – you don’t need to perfect your tactics, count on your fingers to hit elevated numbers in the mid-20s (with always altering numbers) [Pathfinder, 4e, etc., are cut here]
  • Good GM tools – encounter building that works, possibly good adventures/settings [cutting out 5e]

Are there any that work except for not being survivable at first level? If so, can you just start at 2nd or 3rd level, or at first but with the 2nd or 3rd level HP equivalent?

johnmarron

Explorer
My go-to system these days is Broken Compass/Outgunned (Outgunned is sort of a refinement or second edition of the BC rules).

They are definitely survivable. Characters are capable right out of the gate, and the system telegraphs when you are in danger of being taken out pretty clearly, so if you decide to risk it, that's on you.

As for interesting options, there are not a lot of mechanized options, but given that the rules are designed to emulate pulp/action movies, your options are wide open, and characters can try anything they can think of with a fair chance of success. Want to leap across the rooftops in pursuit of a thief? Go for it. Want to throw your shield along the floor and dive onto it like a bob sled and mow down your enemies? Perfectly viable tactic.

I'm hard pressed to think of an easier system to learn that's not ultra-light. Add a stat and skill together to generate a pool of 2 to 9 d6. Roll that pool and look for matching faces. The more matching faces you get, the better your success level. If you don't get as high a success level as you want, you can re-roll the non-matching dice but you risk losing the success you already have. If you get multiple sets, you can do multiple things. I've just taught you the majority of the system.

As for good GM tools, Outgunned (which is only out to kickstarter backers at the moment, but should be in general release very soon) definitely has better GM support. The system treats enemies as a threat to be overcome, and provides easily customizable templates for enemies of varying threat levels. Given the abstracted nature of the enemy "stats" (enemies consist of an attack level, defense level, a grit/HP track, and a couple of special moves) you can use the same template to represent a group of bandits, some starving wolves, or a single competent fighter. Since the system is pretty forgiving, there's not really anything like encounter balance, but there are guidelines for when to throw different levels of enemies at the group, and how to structure an adventure/campaign.

It sounds like from your post you primarily play D&D style fantasy. This system is super flexible and easy to adapt, so even though it is designed primarily for modern-ish movie settings, it does have supplements that make it super easy to run fantasy with. I've used it to run D&D style high fantasy, and it worked great and was a blast! It allowed my players to pull off the crazy stunts and actions that they are always wanting to do in other games, but which get shot down by the crunchier rules.

Broken Compass is available now, and if you decide to try it out, I highly suggest getting the '"What If" supplement, which adds rules/modifications to run all kinds of genres. If you want to give the newer rules in Outgunned a try, there is a free (it's pay what you want, with a suggested $1 price) 70 page quickstart that gives you a big enough chunk of the game and a modern action movie scenario so that you can try the rules out.

Last edited:

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Fantasy AGE or Modern AGE

Super easy to learn, very forgiving for new players, cinematic actions with a stunt system and its pretty easy to DM for.

I would also have suggested Savage Worlds and specifically Savage Pathfinder, but I see you have both in your list. So I was wondering if there are additional criteria that should be considered.

Remove ads