Stocking an in-game library - give me cool titles and authors from your game!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The most important-to-adventurers book in my campaign is an old school classic: The Fables of Burdock. It's a multivolume set (that few people own all of -- I picture them being sold piecemeal by traveling vendors, sort of how encyclopedias were once sold) detailing legends, history and just plain nonsense, all mixed up together. Basically, if it was a story that Burdock liked, in it went.

I also plan on introducing the Saga Arcana at some point.

FnordBear

First Post
The Journal of Atien Walker, Last of the Wardens
-This fictional work is acctualy by a reocurring PC of mine. You can find a web version of it at http://thelastwarden.blogspot.com

The Collected Notes of Lum the Mad
-With all the various named wizards in D&D why not have them write some books?

The Chronicles of Dante, Seeker of the Inferno
-Dante's Inferno, D&D style.

A Tail of Two Drakes
-A pair of drakes magically cursed to share one tail. This is the story of thier adventures.

A Complete Anatomical Study of the Sivak Draconcian
-Just what the name says. More fun if there is no link to Dragonlance in your setting

The Failed Apparati of Kwalsh
-A collection of Davinchi style inventions, each with a glaring defect and each with a treaties explaining why it should work anyway.

How to Serve Man for the Athasian Halfling
-A cookbook for the gormet Athasian Halfling.

Prophecies of the Multiversal Endtimes
-A somewhat chared and illegible book, the onyl writing that can be made out is the name of each PC carefully written in the back of the book.

A book with no title, bound in human flesh.
-First words in the book Ia Ia Cthulhu....

Overyonder and Returned Once More, a Halfling's Story
-The story of a halfling rogue's adventures with a party of dwarves and a wizard out to slay a dragon.

GlassEye

Adventurer
On Matters Concerning the Fey; A Cyclopedic Treatise, by Taelyron Fel'Strahdi
The Journal of Qelos the Raven
The Book of the Disk
- subtitled The Forging of Tagok. A Dwarven creation myth.
Silgrave's Commentaries on 'The Book of the Disk'
Song Before the World, by Vadril. An Elven creation myth.
An Explanation of the Heavenly Bodies, by Abdranik
Songs of the Night Flyers; Poems of the Jann
The Mirror of Princes. A guide to rulership.
A Dictionary of Tongues, detailing the languages of the major races of Zakhara and the basics of some minor races.
Levekan Histories, by Vedi Ro-Abra
The True History of the Land. A rebuttal to Levekan Histories
Rays of the Sun, by Padri the Heretic. Commentary on the Moralist teachings of Ranna.
Edicts of Ranna, the holy book of the Moralist pantheon.
Sun Psalms of Righteousness
Cosmogonies and Geographies, by Delkhet. Compiled creation myths of many lands and a travelogue.
Book of Knowledge of Ingenious Mechanical Devices
Love Poetry of the Princess TaSasha

Agent Oracle

First Post
"Journal of the First Subliminal Architect"
(inside, all the pages are blank... but you have to stare at them for several minutes each before you realize that)

"The Color Of Magic" by Rincewind
(a hand-written journal extensively about somethign called "octrine" which is used as both a noun and an adjective in the book.)

"Professional Ethics in Modern Buisness" by Ken Lay

"The Book of Scores." by Lore Sjolsberg
(inside it contains simple scores, on a scale from 1-5 on a wide variety of subjects, with 1 being "crappy" and 5 being "awesome". despite the fact that many things posess 5 ratings, only one thing has a 1, a blink dog pup named "Scrappy".)

"A Modest Proposal" by Gnome DePlume
Reading this text gives the impression that the author wanted everyone to start eating goblins.

"The Annoyance of Azuri" (anonymous)
seventy pages detailing, in great detail, the invasion of Azuri by minor demons, who happened to specialize in moving housekeys, stoking fires a little too high (causing the food to burn), and spreading mud across the hearth.

"Childcare and rearing" by Amelia Carrot
The book seems to deal primarily with the pains associated with rasing a child of another race. The author is clearly dwarven, and the tone of the book suggests that she raised a human son.

"True Tales of Fronteer Accountancy Volume 3" by Theodore Brashson
Actually a hollow book, inside is ANOTHER book, "Observations on colloration and patterns in Nature" Which, if read fully, grants a perminant +1 competence bonus to "hide" checks. The book itself is about how a tiger can get away with being orange and black in a natural environment.

Oh, see if you can work in a copy of "The Players Handbook". It's written in a language nobody understands, but contains lots of really, really accurate illustrations of legendary heroes AND sketches of weaponry.

Last edited:

Lackhand

First Post
Skip my post and go straight to wikipedia. :D

I forget whether you use a laptop: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_books_by_title is a bit nonfantasy :uhoh: but should serve if you *really* need more titles
As should http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_book_titles_taken_from_literature
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_poems
and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_plays

In less strictly historical veins are
Witchcraft Today by Gerald B. Gardner (I really love this one, I don't know why!)
The Black Book of the Yezidis
The Gardnerian Book of Shadows
The Book of Ceremonial Magic by A.E. Waite
The Golden Bough by Sir James George Frazer
The Rosie Crucian Secrets by John Dee
Book T - The Tarot Golden Dawn
The God of the Witches by Margaret Alice Murray
The Pictorial Key to the Tarot by A.E. Waite
(from http://athenaeum.asiya.org/)

The slightly harder to find http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_books -- which includes stuff from hitchhiker's guide et al, so needs to be weeded through
The fictional books, drawn from fiction (buh?): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_document (further down the page) and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fictional_book (related. Should probably be merged. Maybe they mirror each other, I didn't check).
Fictional diaries: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_diaries

So I went straight to wikipedia. Can you blame me?

Dragonbait

Explorer
Since many people already beat me to the silly titles (fooey on you and your quick responses) I'll reference actual books from my campaigns.

"The Plane of Mirros: Infinite Opportunities" by Sojan (written in Infernal)
This is a guide to understanding the plane of mirrors, its philosophy, its 'physics', and identifying its denizens and dangers. Unfortunately, the second half of the book is about how to use the Plane of Mirrors as a jumping point to spread evil and terror simply for its own sake across other realities, planes, and dimensions. Sojan clearly prefers subtle manipulations of existing evils of various realities, but he does promote wholesale slaughter too.

"The Prophecy of Yllarum" unknown author (written in Common)
This details the ebb and flow of something called the Mystic Tempest, which seems to act as a combination of the Ethereal, Limbo, and the originator of magic for a world called Rimm. It talks about breaks in the Prime Material and the Tempest, and the oncoming destruction of Rhimm. Really, it has no use outside of that world. It's very long-winded.

"The Many Skins of the Serpent's" unknown author (written in Common)
A tome about the yuan-ti, their plots, and their rituals. Often times incoherent, and written from a person whom probably comes from a world where things like the existence of the yan-ti is not common knowledge, and perhaps considered heretical. Very mythos in feel.

The Journal of Nicos LeNarin
A journal about a plane-hopping adventurer affiliated with a group called the Mercykillers (Nicos was a mid-to-high ranking official, but I forget the appropriate title, which Nicos would have referred to himself as). It is a who's-who of extraplanar criminals, murderers, and general villains. It also has unusual information Nicos found out about each one, along with those that are still at large, and those that were brought to justice. While it is terribly out of date, there are still many secrets within. As an added bonus, the book is alive. It has an amiable, good-natured personality, which belies the subject matter that it contains.

Dragonbait

Explorer
Agent Oracle said:
"The Book of Scores." by Lore Sjolsberg
(inside it contains simple scores, on a scale from 1-5 on a wide variety of subjects, with 1 being "crappy" and 5 being "awesome". despite the fact that many things posess 5 ratings, only one thing has a 1, a blink dog pup named "Scrappy".)

I heard that this book was banned in Grayhawk, Sharn, and over most of Taladas.

Steverooo

First Post
The Intuition of Rope, by Elias Weaver. A volume all about rope. Everything from setting up a ropewalk, making rope, using rope, selecting materials, weaving a rope back into itself, using grass or bark to make rope, as well as all manner of knotlore. Anyone managing to stay awake long enough to thoroughly peruse this extensive manual (YAWN!... Buh?) cannot help but acquire Competence Bonii to Craft (Ropemaking) and Rope Use skills, as well as receiving +2 Circumstance Bonii in GM-detailed situations (such as untying oneself).

The Way of the Warrior, by Ihave Tao. A manual on the way of the warrior, dealing specifically with attack, defense, and the principle of immediacy. Not for the subtle.

Information Gathering, by Ilsa & Tombarro Mitheithel. A Drow manual on information extraction, dealing mostly with torture, but also detailing the uses of magic & seduction, among other methods. Written in Drow, of course.

Exercizes In Futility, by SteveC. Obscure riddles and a manual on perseverance.

Why It Doesn't Matter, by Priggle. A Deep Gnomesh view of the Multiverse.

The 47 Keys, by Solomon. A treatise on Magic.

The Book of Shadows, by (Name smudged). A text on Shadowmagic, as well as giving the reader Knowledge (The Planes) concerning the Plane of Shadow. Also details Adept and Darkness magics, as well.

Advanced Thaumaturgy, by Illorin. One of the bases of modern magic. An original edition, and worth more than a pretty penny!

Advanced Necromany, by Morgoth Bauglir. Undead, made easy, as well as pre-basics for most modern Necromancy, and a fully detailed ritual for creating Werewolves.

Rhas Al-Ghul, by Elliot Pictman. All about Ghouls and Ghasts. Written in some strange, non-ghoulish script.

Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley. A story of a self-willed Flesh Golem.

The Helcaraxe, by Ingold Inglorion. A tale of an early Elven people crossing the Grinding Ice.

Myths of Myth Drannor, by (Smudge), the Red Wizard. Mths of a realm that is forgotten.

"Divination" is a Misnomer!, by Longius Pedantius. A volume on Divinations vs. true prophecy. Contains many, many, spells of both. Copies are in 17 volumes, but the original edition is in one.

Foretelling, and Forth-Telling: Prophecy Explained, by Garius Minasticus. A religious tome on the gift of Prophecy, and how it works, in many times, cultures, and religions. Written in Common, by a Human author.

Valendo: The Great & Terrible; Precursor of Angels!, by Mooglooglitus Obfuscatius. Another tome about Valendo, and the destruction that he brought upon the Illithids, by a Mind Flayer who takes the other side from Illithidus Purgatis Rex, above.

451 Veneral Diseases, by Imater. A book no one wants to be seen reading. Everything you ever wanted to know about VDs.

Defenders of Daybreak: The Complete Adventures, by (Skeletal Handprint). Supposedly the first of 47 volumes, the rest don't seem to be present. This one details a group of heroes in their Pre-Eversink days, battling enemies of Galanna, the Naure goddess. The unknown author is erudite, literate in many tongues, and seems to have known the DoD intimately.

My Children, by Vlad, the Impaler. Written in the same unreadable tongue as The Holy Bible, above, this book details much about Vampires, and their origins. Oddly, however, the details of slaying them all seem to be confused, and most have no affect, whatsoever!

Last edited:

Remove ads