• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

stonegod's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft: Ch. II [IC]

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Janis shrugs at Khensu's directions. "Perhaps, tough it was this stair"---indicating the one beyond the hall---"that our dear 'Lord' took, not the Chapel stairs. Servants stairs are usually more circumspect, less visible. One would not want a soused lady ending in the wrong quarters, especially if they are concern about their heirs." Ireena blushes at Janis' frankness.

Stormwind

First Post
Ashlyn responds, "Unless I miss my guess, the main stairs on the ground floor just before the chapel will lead up to the landing down the stairs from the throne room, and excepting any secret passages that might exist, I believe that we have searched this floor, thus going up the spiral stairs at the end of this hall seems to me to be the best bet."

"Besides we can always check out the other stairs later if necessary"

Last edited:

s@squ@tch

First Post
"Damn this scroll!" Marot shouts from the throneroom as he struggles to make sense of the writings. "One of you will need to figure it out -- I'm drawing a complete blank."

"I'm all for going up the back spiral staircase when ready. Has that smoke disapated yet? And here I thought burning hair was a bad smell......."

Marots ears perk up slightly as he hears Ireena discuss the niceties of drunken castle women.

stonegod

Jarrith spends some time examining the records, and discovers a few things. First, the crazed man seemed to have stashed several small sacks of coin around for whatever purpose, though they were older coinage from pre-War days. [100gp, 25pp] The rest of the documents reveal nothing exiting---more financial records---but what is interesting is their dates. Before two years ago, there is a significant gap of roughly 100 years before they continue. None of them are particular meticulous, all the tenders seem to be a bit careless, but they all are census of the town and of various transactions with the Visanti. And they go back a long time. Jarrith stops at half-a-century ago when the books become too brittle, faded, or just old to read.

Stormwind

First Post
As the smoke dissipates, Ashlyn moves towards the door to the hallway leading towards the spiral staircase and then turns back to look at the others, "Shall we proceed then?"

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Jarrith nods to Ashlyn, then produces a small bag that rattles with a metallic sound. "Coinage found. Rather old coins too. You can put it with the rest of the stuff." He winds up and throws an underhand toss of the bag to the lady paladin.

He motions to the stuff on the table. "This stuff is all records of the area. Sales, taxes, census numbers and the like. However, there's one thing curious... these details are mostly from a century or so and further back. Then there's a gap in the records that runs somewhat concurrent with the Last War... then it starts back up again two years ago. Very odd. As though while the War was happening, records were just stopped."

He looks over at Ireena and asks her quizzicially. "Ireena... when was it you said Lord Sergei appeared in town to assume his post? And do you know perhaps how long it had been before then that there was a lord in this castle?"

After the questions are answered, Jarrith (and Sir Khensu) move to join Ashlyn to go up the small circular stair.

stonegod

DEFCON 1 said:
He looks over at Ireena and asks her quizzicially. "Ireena... when was it you said Lord Sergei appeared in town to assume his post? And do you know perhaps how long it had been before then that there was a lord in this castle?"
Ireena looks a bit lost at the question. "There has been no Lord of Barovia since the Devil Strahd cursed our land. Only darkness, madness, and death. I... I do not know what to make of these. Lord ir'Zarovich only came to our lands within the last few months."

DEFCON 1 said:
After the questions are answered, Jarrith (and Sir Khensu) move to join Ashlyn to go up the small circular stair.
The stair ventures up and down, and are likely the stairs Sergei took after leaving dinner. Down one story would be the ground floor. No sound comes from the dark recesses.

Last edited:

Stormwind

First Post
As the others join her by the stairs, Ashlyn looks at Jarrith and nods towards the stairs upwards. She then waits a moment to give Jarrith the opportunity to preceed her before she moves into the stairwell and begins to climb upwards. As she climbs, Ashlyn makes regular checks for the prescence of undead.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Ireena said:
"There has been no Lord of Barovia since the Devil Strahd cursed our land. Only darkness, madness, and death. I... I do not know what to make of these. Lord ir'Zarovich only came to our lands within the last few months."
Sir Khensu slowly shakes his head. "Well it seems as though someone prophesized Sergei's arrival then... if our unfortunate accountant had been working hard these past two years. Perhaps getting the books in order for when his new Lord finally arrived?" He arches his eyebrow questioningly.

Jarrith nods to Ashlyn and steps past her into the stairwell, then begins climbing the circular stair to the third level... his detection of evil leading his way. Sir Khensu then motions for Tessa, Marot, Ireena, Janis and the bear to follow on along, as he prepares to cover the rear by going last.

Remove ads