• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

stonegod's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft: Ch. II [IC]

James Heard

Explorer
Janis scowls fiercely.

"I..." she begins tentatively before frowning even more.

"I haven't decided if I want the curse lifted. When we're through here I shall need every advantage to dispose of Mateuz's agents and depart from you all. Distasteful as it may be, the truth of the matter is I've been embracing my demons for years. As long as him and his kind would seek my past, I see no choice other than to walk my path as dangerously as need be to dissuade vermin from following."

Janis looks away.

"Be of cheer though, perhaps death shall find me before such a dark choice must be."

pathfinderq1

First Post
Tessa looked a bit taken aback by Janis' response. She stepped back, and looked at each of the others in turn, particularly Ashlyn- it appeared as if she wanted either opinions or support- but she would not stand up against the druid's will alone.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
When Janis makes her comment... Jarrith's eyes narrow and he glances at Khensu and Marot. The look of agony on the shifter's face tells him everything he needs to know.

He takes a step forward and says to the druid quite simply and quietly "'Embracing your demons' is a figure of speech, Janis. While we all know of several of the horrific events that have shaped your life... those you have allowed yourself to share with us... they all came from within you. They are your feelings, your emotions, your anger, your fear. What you speak of now is submitting your soul to an outside force... to give up your status as a free-thinking, free-living being, and prostrating yourself to another. You are now talking about actually embracing a demon... if we consider the curse of lycanthropy to be a demonic presence influencing and acting upon your soul."

The big shifter steps forward as well and looks down sadly upon the woman standing in front of him. He almost pleads with her. "You cannot give in to this! No amount of revenge or fear against those who have or would hurt you is worth purposely debasing yourself. You are too good for that, Janis. You have been too strong of a woman to give up on your humanity now."

James Heard

Explorer
"And if I make a choice to submit to achieve a larger goal? How is that different than your Flame, a living influence acting upon your soul?"

Janis waves away the rhetorical question, her eyes looking grim and tired.

"I have kneeled before, Jarrith. I know the worth of oaths sworn under duress, and I know the price of bargains made with devils. This imperfect world is painted in such imperfect choices, and they have colored my life since before I first squealed outside my mother's womb."

Janis turns away.

"We should make haste if we are to make good time to the Castle."

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
As Janis turns away, Jarrith sighs and murmurs under his breath to Khensu. "Let us pray she doesn't force us to make a choice too."

He then begins to make preparations to go to the castle.

Later on, as they are more prepared to leave... Jarrith asks "Should we inquire as to whether Ireena wants to come with us? I for one wouldn't mind having a buffer between ourselves and the lord of the castle."

Stormwind

First Post
As Janis speaks, an expression of pain crosses Ashlyn's face and her expression turns icy cold as if a dark shadow passes across her face. Turning to face Janis, Ashlyn speaks in a monotone, quietly enough that only those close to her can hear, but there is iron in her voice, "Janis, Do not let desperation drive you ... Do not go that route. Although we are not the closest of friends, you have shown yourself a worthy companion, and for that alone I would stand beside you in whatever troubles might find you now ... or later."

Ashlyn then pauses and her green eyes seem colder as she catches Janis's gaze and holds it unblinking, "... But should you surrender to this curse and become other than the woman that you are, then, just like those unfortunate creatures we slew earlier, I will be forced to strike you down without mercy or respite."

"... I ask you, as a trusted companion, not to do this thing."

James Heard

Explorer
Janis arches a thin pale eyebrow.

"Don't presume to know me and call me friend while you threaten steel at me, woman. I've lived with worse losses than your friendship, and more dangerous blades have fallen because they called mine surrendered."

Janis sneers.

"There is no mercy in this world or any other, and I was never fool enough to expect it from any."

Janis shakes her head.

"I do as I must. Tend to yourself."

With that, the witch leaves to gather her things for the day's journey.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
As the party tensely looks at each other, Marot sees Ireena riding a horse along the southern road, being led by one of the village children. The child boasts, "See, told you Miss I. Be leaving today! Watch good, just like told to!" Ireena nods at the boy, then sends him scuttling off.

She pulls up to the party, though stops a little short, noting the tension in the air. Pulling herself up, she looks at each in turn. "I will be accompanying you to the Castle today. We each have business to attend to there." While she does not look as exhausted as previously, she is still uncharacteristically pale, though the breastplate and traveler's cloths hide it.

s@squ@tch

First Post
Marot the Deadly

Janis's decision to continue with the touch of lycanthropy continued to send icy chills to the warlock's spine.

"No good can come from this." He mutters to himself.

He says to the other Flamists quielty,"Be on guard brothers, we may have to use our Flamic knowledge against one of our own."

"I do not know what drives her, but she is playing a game that cannot be won."
He shakes his head in disbelief.

To the others,"Hold for a moment, I see Ireena approaching on a horse!"

After hearing that she will be accompanying them to the castle, Marot's emotions were mixed -- either that meant that the castle would not be hostile towards his group, or Ireena was in league with any evil that lurked within. He hoped for the former.

He continues on his horse, but keeps behind Janis, as it is not wise to travel with a werewolf at your back...

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Ireena said:
"I will be accompanying you to the Castle today. We each have business to attend to there."
Jarrith smirks and thinks to himself I'm sure you do, lady.

But ignoring her and the tensions mounting between Janis and the others... after all, if Stormhand is making her bed the way she is, she knows what'll happen if she lies in it... Jarrith mounts up on Selase's horse and pats the animal on the side of the neck. "Hey, by the way... anyone know what this horse's name is? I don't recall Selase every mentioning it. Or if she did, it never sunk in."

He then glances at the group and motions to the Castle with his chin. "Let's go folks... long way to go. And lots to do when we get there." He then kicks the horse's flanks and starts the animal trotting forward through town.

Remove ads